Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Stick Height

I know this is all about personal perference but I just want to know about the pros of cons of a short/long stick.

I know that short sticks:

allow better stickhandling

Long sticks:

Better reach

But what are the other pros and cons?

I find that when my stick reaches my chin i put a lot of strain on my back, do I need to get used to a shorter stick?

I had the same problem as you with a short stick putting a strain on my back. I added a longer endplug to my stick, and it feels alot better. My stickhandling isn't as good as it was, but I find that I can get a much better shot off because I can put some more flex into the stick.

Touches your chin measured without skates? I'm guessing that you're experimenting with stick height, trying to find the happy medium between being able to spin-a-rama with the puck in the corners, have enough stick left to shoot with, and poke check like you're playing shuffle board. It is a difficult experiment and one in which I hope you're successful.

I have found in myself and younger players (I help coach) that while a shorter stick allowes for more fancy stick handling, the players try to overcompensate for their new lack of reach by bending way to far forward which places strain on their lower back. Short sticks are great if you have superb knee bend and skate with your back up (rather than leaning too far forward), are short, and play with people who can pass tape to tape (mostly) so you're not diving at the puck just as you're about to be crushed. Short sticks also allow you to wait a second on a move if you can beat a guy and get an extra step on him if you're quick and a good puck handler. If you like shorter sticks then I can only recommend you bend your knees farther and try not to lean too far forward. You might find that you need more leg flexibility or strength to compensate for your lack of reach.

Longer sticks allow for a better reach and to tie up a person's stick from behind, (not interference, just irritation) and are better suited for taller players or those without deep kneebend. If you're shorter, though, it might also make you stand up straighter. You can still be an offensive wizard with a longer stick, but you just have to make the move sooner and be more aware of open ice. Either way, play to your strengths and work on your weaknessess.

I tell my players to get used to one length and learn to play with it.

Personally, I cut my sticks off right under my lower lip. I don't play check hockey anymore, (just contact hockey) but that seems to be the perfect compromise for me. I play both defense and offense, but generally defensemen choose a longer stick and offensemen a shorter stick.

Personally, I cut my sticks off right under my lower lip. I don't play check hockey anymore, (just contact hockey) but that seems to be the perfect compromise for me.

Is that with or without skates?

Well here's my experience: I found out that I skate better with more knee bend, and the shorter stick helped a bunch. In fact, it led to changes in my technique this winter where I feel more confident skating with the puck. My stick stands between my lower lip and chin while barefoot. It was 1.25" longer last summer.

I should add that I mainly play forward.

Yeah, I didn't make that clear. I cut my sticks under my lower lip standing in tennis shoes. Also, once you have a stick height dialed in find a cheap wood stick with the same lie you use, cut it, and use it as a model for future sticks. Takes all the guess work out of cutting new sticks.

i have the same problem, with smaller stick i have a way better slap shot, but my wrist shot is absolutly horrible, and with bigger stick a little better stick handling and better wrist shots, bad slapper.

After years of experimentation, I've found where I'm comfortable. My stick comes to about mid-chest on skates. I like it for stickhandling, passing, shooting... any longer and I'm lost. I'll gladly sacrifice the reach for the ability to handle the puck a little better (I need all the help I can get!)

for sometime ive tried to use a stick a inch or a inch and a half longer than normal. my posture made my back hurt. after switching to a stick that stands to the bottom of my nose on foot. me back feels a lot better now.

for sometime ive tried to use a stick a inch or a inch and a half longer than normal. my posture made my back hurt. after switching to a stick that stands to the bottom of my nose on foot. me back feels a lot better now.

oh i hate that, after you play for a while. those are killers

Instead of bending your back so much bend your legs more, it works, I've had to do it before when I busted a stick and got one from the bench on the fly.

I use a stick that comes up to about my adams apple, I play D and find it the perfect length for me.

Whip, have you changed anything? Tried a shorter/longer stick? Tried more knee bend? Any change from this post, and if so, what change and why do you think so?