Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ti-girl

New Team...+

Okay, well I moved citites and found a summer hockey program to play. Problem is, I came from a Tier 2 team where many of our girls have played NCAA or CIS hockey and I'm going to a beginer women's team.

Now, not saying that I am the best player, because I'm not, but I know how to play and have the skills. The only thing I need to work on are my hands.

Anyway, I'm going to be one of the youngest players and there is only one other player who has played, my cousin.

The two of us have played a lot of hockey, can skate, can shoot ect. We don't want to seem like showoffs.

My old team was a great team. We had good team chemistry and everyone helped everyone else. I was one of the weaker girls at the begining, but now I'm one of the better ones. They really helped me and supported me every step of the way.

I really want to be like them, the way they helped me. I don't want to seem like a showoff or critcize people when I'm only trying to help.

Any suggestions?

Try and just be subtle. Don't be arrogant (I'm sure thats not how you are). Just try and be as friendly as possible and help someone if they seem to be struggling. No one will get angry for being a friend. Do your best but don't throw it in their faces that you are "oh soooo much better".

Well, like I said, I was in that position last year. I went from last year scoring 2 goals and 4 assists in 35 games to this year 20 goals, 37 assists in the same number of games.

I couldn't have done it without the team I was on. If I made a mistake, I wouldn't get ripped to shreds, they just told me what I did wrong and what to do to make it right. If I made a good play the bench would congratulate me even if it was just a great chip or a tape to tape pass.

I'm just really nervous being thrown into a leadership position being one of the youngest players.

Before you start trying to help anyone, get a couple games with them under your belt. It will let you get to know them and they'll see that you know what you are doing. Start off with a small suggestion here and there to a linemate and if they ask for more then offer. You don't want to be overbearing so make sure any help offered is well received. If people seem unhappy with your comments then you'll want to back off.

Well, like I said, I was in that position last year. I went from last year scoring 2 goals and 4 assists in 35 games to this year 20 goals, 37 assists in the same number.

I couldn't have done it without the team I was on. If I made a mistake, I wouldn't get ripped to shreds, they just told me what I did wrong and what to do to make it right. If I made a good play the bench would congratulate me even if it was just a great chip or a tape to tape pass.

I'm just really nervous being thrown into a leadership position being one of the youngest players.

Always good just to be supportive. Something as simple as a "good shift, so-and-so" when changing on the fly helps.

I've already sat down and talked to the coach and was like "Look, I'm here to have a great time with my cousin and my best friend. I'm already playing on a comeptitve team, I just want to have fun." We're on the same page so that's good.

I already do a lot of the "Good shift, nice shot, great work down low" ect, but its not MY team.

And my cousin and I are going to be the youngest (except for my best friend) by about 5-10 years.

:(

I've already sat down and talked to the coach and was like "Look, I'm here to have a great time with my cousin and my best friend. I'm already playing on a comeptitve team, I just want to have fun." We're on the same page so that's good.

I already do a lot of the "Good shift, nice shot, great work down low" ect, but its not MY team.

And my cousin and I are going to be the youngest (except for my best friend) by about 5-10 years.

:(

Then make it YOUR team. Being part of a team is only as much as you will allow yourself, so allow yourself to be ingrained with them. Take it easy at first, and don't be confrontative. The best advice I usually get is on the bench and one of the better players chimes in with "next time, do this/go here" or "Just get to here/do this a little differently" and I handle it just fine. You don't want to be leading with a different attitude though, if you tell someone else to do it, do it yourself. Easing into it is probably the best way to go, and this coming from an older member on a team who gets advice from the younger guys all the time. If it's valid, it'll be accepted. If it's crap advice, it gets let go.

Thanks.

I try to lead by example, even on my other team. I work my @$$ off every shift, take responsability for my mistakes, like a penalty or not blocking the shot.

I'm going to really try to lead by example on this team and give positive advice. I have been a captain in other sports, but the other athletes were my age.

Anyway, I still have a couple of weeks until we start.

Thanks again.

"Don't tell me, show me."

Set an example early, then the other players should naturally look to you for advice. Since it's a beginner team, I'm sure the others would love some tips on ways to improve. Just like sdcopp said, the best way is to avoid seeming arrogant is to simply suggest ("Try this to get a little more on your shot," "It helps my stickhandling when I really roll my top wrist," etc.)

Try to think about what your past coaches would say when teaching you a new skill.

I had really great coaches, especially these past two years. I learned a lot of the basics as well as the finer points of the game.

I just don't want to come across as a know it all. I mean, I really don't care about coming across as a know it all to my friend and cousin, because they already know me and really, best friend and cousin. Who cares right?

Like I said, i was in that position last year, so I KNOW how it feels. But instead of playing on a beginer team it was baptism by fire. I just worked that much harder to be just as good as everyone else.

Earn the rspect of the other players by your actions before you say too much. Some players may not want to hear anything you say, let the coach handle those people and don't waste your time and effort on them.

I don't know if this applies to you but, I joined an "invitation only" scrimmage club (2X a week) of somewhat older men. While I can skate way faster, shot harder and dangle better than many of them, I learned that everyone there had something to teach me. Some things they did didn't make sense to me at all, but when I would ask what they were trying to do, I would try it myself and with my conditioning/physical play, they turned out to be really practical ideas! One amazingly stupid one... shoot when you have a wide open pass sometimes... fake the pass elegantly, then rifle it top shelf. And don't try to tip in cross-crease passes all the time... move the puck to the other hand and let the goalie slide by... you need to listen to people who aren't that good themselves but know what you should be doing in situations to learn what to do when.

Anyways, I'm surprised that you can't find a top-notch girls team in Calgary (and I would think in that town they'd be straight as well :lol: ), just from having lived there myself. I was working there just this past summer in fact and it is hockey town. There are some good rinks in the NW side, especially around the U. Anyways, good luck and go Flames I hope they get beat out in the Semi-Finals by the Canucks (gotta go for the childhood team eh!) I guess that means I'm hoping Pronger doesn't make the playoffs but oh well.

There's a lot of politics in the womens' teams here. I missed the summer hockey cutoff for tryouts because I was at tourney in Saskatchewan with my other team, even though we've played the Calgary teams numerous times.

Oh well.

Gotta cheer for a hometown boy...GO JARRET STOLL! GO OILERS. Ha. I hate the Flames.

I hope though, I can get onto a tier 2 team this winter. Its make or break time.

Don't forget to praise; a pure stream of criticism, no matter how nicely offered or well-meant, is hard for anyone to take well. Make sure to point out what they're doing right, even if it's little stuff.

Praise publicly ("Hey, nice hustle on that backcheck" as they come on the bench), criticize privately (even just leaning towards them and keeping your voice down).

Phrase your criticisms as suggestions ("One thing you might try is..." or "This works for me, I don't know if you might find it helpful" rather than "Do this" or "Don't do this").

Have you considered the WWHL (Western Womens Leauge) ? Calgary Oval Extreme are a great team.

If you really want to step it up come to T.O and play in the NWHL (National Womens Leauge )

You would learn so much and be playing the best womens hockey in the world !

I've thought about it, but I just got out of school this year, need a job and technically just started playing last year.

I do want to get into the Oval system, but with my past of injuries I'm not too sure if they'd be happy to deal with my injuries.

Didn't you just finish a season injury-free? That's huge. Plus being able to rebound from injuries is a skill in itself, take a lot of maturity. I had several injuries this season but I was able to get back into action within a week each time.