Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapamatt122

I need new Shins.. RBK 5k vs. 7k

Hey all, just wondering what the difference between these pads that warrants a $25 increase from the 5k to the 7k.. I have 7k elbows so I figured I'd just get the 7k shins, but if its not really worth it, I might as well save myself 25 bucks! also, is there any quality difference between these and the old Jofa pads? I think my LHS has some Jofa 9060's for the same price as the rbk 7k but the only real difference I can tell functionality wise is the calf straps. thanks for you help..

..they also had jofa 9090's and 9040's but I didn't ask the price.

I think there are a coupla threads about both of these things.

My two cents?

The 7K is a lot of effing pad, the 5K is a scaled back version of it. If you're a D-man, or you block an ass load of shots, the 7K is the way to go, if not, it probably won't hurt to get the 5K.

I had to make a decision between the 4K and the 6K, but the 6K was WAY too much pad for me, I'm really happy with my 4K's.

I had to make a decision between the 4K and the 6K, but the 6K was WAY too much pad for me, I'm really happy with my 4K's.

Slightly off topic, but i've found the 6k to be pretty light. Not featherweight, but once I got used the size, I never notice them. I've never tried the 7k, but they do seem to be the heavy pad in the line. I play d so I'm considering the 7k when the 6k's wear out (they've got a nice big slice in them so far!)

thanks guys.. well, I've done some searching through a million posts here and it seems that the 9060's are the same as the rbk 7k's, which would explain why my LHS is selling them for the same price, and the 9090's are the same as the 8k's I think.. I'll just go see which ever one they have in my size and pick it up.

a lot of ppl have been having issues with the 6k and that upper flap getting caught in the pants, are you having this problem?

thanks guys.. well, I've done some searching through a million posts here and it seems that the 9060's are the same as the rbk 7k's, which would explain why my LHS is selling them for the same price, and the 9090's are the same as the 8k's I think.. I'll just go see which ever one they have in my size and pick it up. 

See this thread for jofa > rbk conversion:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=145236

a lot of ppl have been having issues with the 6k and that upper flap getting caught in the pants, are you having this problem?

It does that to me, but it doesn't bother me too much. When I stand up more straight is the only time it happens -- thus forcing me to keep my knees bent! :lol:

A lot of guys have been having issues with the top flap of the 6K's getting caught in the bottom of their pants. It seems to be a flaw in the design. I upgraded to the 8K's and guess what no more problems. If you don't want to go that high end or expensive downgrade to the 5K's. Both alternatives have the longer top flap and you eliminate the problem. Your other option is to cut the top flap off, which some others on this thread have done and that seems to work as well. ;)

A lot of guys have been having issues with the top flap of the 6K's getting caught in the bottom of their pants. It seems to be a flaw in the design. I upgraded to the 8K's and guess what no more problems. If you don't want to go that high end or expensive downgrade to the 5K's. Both alternatives have the longer top flap and you eliminate the problem. Your other option is to cut the top flap off, which some others on this thread have done and that seems to work as well. ;)

This may not solve it for everyone, but once I started using Pear Sox, which are a lot tighter mesh than the ccm ones, it helped considerably with the flap catching on the bttm of my breezers.

But yeah, were i buying again, i would probabl go with the 7k just because of the protection level.

i have the 5k's and they don't get caught on my pants. just in case you're considering them. i went from some crappy shins to the 5k's and love them. i took a mean slapper to the shins and didn't feel a thing.

I'm going to go out to a pro-shop thats a bit further away but that I've always had good service from, they tend to have a lot of older Jofa stuff.. possibly at discount!!! otherwise I'll grab something RBK.. thanks again for all the input guys!