Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

domileafs28

wrist shot help please

i am actually getting fairly good lift. i had a wooden thornton stick and i couldn't keep it low. i am just getting used to the modano i guess, but i personally like it. i have a great backhand, and i am getting good lift on the roller pucks and tape i practice with now. i will work on ice again saturday. thanks

i would try to put the puck on your heel it always worked for me when i used the modano, try different areas on ur blade too, different curves react different, whihc means you may have to put the put a different way on ur blade to get a nice shot off

I have no trouble at all raising the puck with a Modano curve. I was actually playing shinny today with no goalies where we go for the posts and I must have zipped about 10 straight over the crossbar, I was actually shooting too high.

Some thoughts I have that might help...

Make sure your bottom hand is far enough down the shaft to get enough power.

I wouldn't worry so much about 'spinning the puck', I've played for 15+ years and have never once visualized spinning the puck off my stick in the manner you seem to be describing.

As well, the further you pull the puck back, and the further back in your stance that you release the puck, generally the higher it will go. I find that when I am shooting high it is almost always because I am shooting too far back in my stance.

Try drawing the puck back and closing your blade, facing the blade down towards the ice as much as possible without the bottom of the blade lifting off the ice, this will naturally draw your whole body down and bend your knees. From this position you should be able to snap your wrists forward, opening the blade and it will be almost impossible not to raise the puck.

hm i normally use a naslund, but i've tried modo a couple times. i've found the blade to be much too long for me, but i can still get it in the air, only my wristers go at an angle unlike my naslund which makes it flat...

backhands with the modo are a beauty though....does anyone know if the bauer PM9 is shorter than the modo?

hm i normally use a naslund, but i've tried modo a couple times. i've found the blade to be much too long for me, but i can still get it in the air, only my wristers go at an angle unlike my naslund which makes it flat...

backhands with the modo are a beauty though....does anyone know if the bauer PM9 is shorter than the modo?

The Forsberg/Modano blades are considered short.

i'm going to a wooden stick i think. i get awsome power on my wristers. i draw the puck back and really flex the shaft and it sounds like it's gonna go through the glass. unfortunately, i broke my synergy yesterday...

I find the Modano to be perfect in close for going up high. Especially if you have a really really stiff shaft. Over Christmas break me and my buddies played a lot of post and crossbar shinny and I was a dead ringer anywhere in close. But that same stick (100 flex easton, a little stiff for a 100) is now a little soft, and the puck doesn't pop up as easily.

Lifting the puck is all in the wrist-I learned to lift the puck with a straight blade (Northland Pro-for the nostalgia fans!!)-the more "snap" at the end of the shot is what dictates lift more than any curve to me. I cant use a really open toed blade or my clearing passes end up in the insulation!

I was taught to "open" or "close" your wrist's at the release of the shot to determine altitude.

Open wrist: At the end of the shot the wrist's are rolled upward,sending the puck off the toe of the blade= high shot

Closed wrist: At the end of the shot the wrist's are rolled downward towards the ice, keeping the puck at the heel or mid blade=low shot

Practice-practice-practice

Hopefully your garage door wont look like mine did when I was a kid

(Man I had understanding parents)

I know I had lots of trouble when I would keep the puck way out away from my body. the stick moved in an arc with my body as the fulcrum. Absolutely no power. It was not until I brought it closer to my body and worked on moving the puck in a straight line that I got more power from it. Not that I'm that good of a shot. All I have is a wrist shot and I only work on that. I"m trying to work on my accuracy on my wrist shot before moving on. I do drills at stick and puck or warm up where I line up with the blue line and aim for the blue painted verticle stripe on the boards and shoot 10-20 times in quick succession first, low and keeping it on the ice, then aim 1 foot higher at a time until I'm at the top of the boards. I was suggested to do this by a friend. That stripe is about how much area you usually have to shoot at (sometimes less) with a goalie in net.

That's another suggestion, work first by shooting at the boards. The puck should return right to you if you are shooting straight. If you work on shooting straight then you can get a lot of repititions in a short period of time.

simple....release the puck a little bit further infront of you...its the same with soccer, if you lean back with the ball further infront of you, youll chip it. a wrister is just a much harder saucer pass.