Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheProfessor

Pointers on the Ice hockey stop

Well, I finally made it to a stick and puck this weekend, and pretty much all my roller skills transfered to ice - except for stopping.

Seems that when i try to stop, my blade digs into the ice to much and instead of sliding it catches and "skips" on the ice. Needless to say I almost fell many times. :D Can i get some pointers on the correct way to stop? Also, what part of the foot should i be putting most of my weight on to stop (heel, mid, etc.) ?

Thanks

I put most of the weight on the ball, where the blade starts to curve more (on my profile). If I put it on the flats I chatter the skates during the stop. If I put it on the heels I fall down.

I put the weight on the balls by moving my knees over them, not by flexing the ankles.

If you feel that you are still digging in too much, try a shallower hollow on your blades.

if your blade is skipping on the ice, chances are you are digging in with your heels. put the weight over the balls of your feet... don't try to dig your edges in. instead do this. approach and start sliding with knees bent. then as soon as you start sliding, straighten and explode your knees in the other direction, which will stop you quickly.

once stopped, you have two choices...

if you lean forward when stopping, you will stop and stay still.

if you lean back, upon stopping you will start moving backwards.

cool, thanks for the input. I think part of the problem is that with inlines, more angle on your wheels = less traction and ultimately skidding. With ice, more angle on your blade = grabs the ice MORE.

At least I'm putting my weight on the balls of my feet. I may be standing up too much when I go into my stop.

knee bend is really important too.

the way i learned was before practicing my stops, i'd scrape the ice a bit with my edges, to get a "feel" for what it's like, also sculling helps work the edges too.

then i'd go short distances, not too fast and do the stop. when i was learning, i wasn't staggering my feet enough to get an effect stop.

but ultimately it's about the knee bend. i hope that kinda helps?