Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Mission Carbster

Mission Carbster XL helmet paired with Oakley straight small half-shield

Fit- I have a 7 5/8 size head and the XL fit me perfectly. One thing I like about it is that it comes down further on the back of my head than the 5000 (which I skated in since it came out) does. I will cover the liner in intangibles. 10/10

Protection- I do not play check anymore, but the helmet has dual density foams in it - the only helmet which has this feature. Plus, it is made of carbon fiber, much more protective than plastic. 10/10

Weight - I haven't weighed it, and it has more material to it than most helmets, so it's kinda unfair to compare it to another helmet. n/a

Durability - You don't have to worry about foam falling out of this bad boy! One thing that I do not like is that the side screw anchors are inside the side padding. You do not see the anchor - it just feels like you are screwing it into the padding itself. I'm kinda wary on that, especially if I strip it - because the helmet is not being made anymore.

Other than that, nothing major has happened to it...but then again, I don't play check. 9/10 (point deducted for screw anchors)

Intangibles- The ventilation is great. It has top, side and back vents. As far as the look goes...I believe it grows on you. When I first saw it, I thought it was ugly, but I've grown to like it.

Here are the two problems I have with the helmet. I shave my head and the removable liner inside the Carbster is made of mesh. Whenever I put it on, it would scratch the back of my head, so I decided to remove it. The helmet was too big, so now my solution is to wear an Under Armour skull cap on my head, then put the helmet on, and tug the back of the skull cap down almost by my neck. Also, putting a half-shield on the helmet is a 20-minute job. 7/10

Conclusion - A great helmet, at a great price if you can find it. In my case, I just had to work out the kinks. 8.5/10

Mission Carbster

Used with: Itech RBE I Half Shield & Jofa 480 Cage.

• Fit – Wide, Sizes run a little bit small. Cannot adjust helmet. (Large - 7½, X-Large - 7¾)
  • Protection – This is the most protective helmet ever created. And because of this players who have a concussion history such as Alyn McCauley and Kenny Jonsson, choose this helmet over any other.
  • Weight – Unknown, not a concern though.
  • Durability – I’ve only had mine for a few months, but so far so good. No problems.
  • Intangibles – Good airflow. Looks ugly. Takes a while to mount a cage or shield because of the embedded screw anchors.

Conclusion – It's a great value at $40, and offers great protection too. If you can get over the look of it, you will love this helmet.

9/10

Chicks Point Of View.. lol...

Mission Carbster L helmet with Bauer TRU-Vision

Fit- I tried the CCM.. squeezed my head till I got headaches, tried a NIKE looked too big on my head, tried on the Itech didn't like it.. Bauer seemed ok, but as soon as I tried on the CARBSTER, I had to buy it, it's like putting your head into a soft leather couch, wearing it for a full year now, still fits like a charm. 10/10

Protection- Welp... I haven't really tested this out that much throughout the year, but I have no headaches so I'll give it a 10/10

Weight - I think the tru-vision cage weighs more! I find it very light. 10/10

Durability - Only been a year... women's league play, men's pick-up, co-ed pick-up.. can't really tell how durable it is from where I am standing right now.. NA/NA

Intangibles- The removable WASHABLE liner is friggin awesome.. this is the best thing since... I don't know *i dont like bread* lol.. There is nothing I don't like about this helmet.. that's all I have to say.. 10/10

Conclusion - Great helmet.. (the Bauer 5000 was my second fav) 9/10 I took a point off cause it cost me 150+tax when I bought it :o

Used at times with Oakley straight small visor and without protection at other times.

Fit- For the most part the fit is excellent for me. In almost every area the helmet was perfect. The only area that gave me a problem was the spot behind my right ear where the liner snapped into the shell. The helmet rubbed and gradually got more annoying over time. It was most annoying when I reffed two or more games in a row and wore the helmet for more than 2 hours straight. 7.5/10

Protection- Sticks and pucks to the head did nothing other than chip the paint a little. Even getting nailed into the boards and bouncing my head off the glass was never a problem. Absolutely a fantastic helmet. 10/10

Weight - It's larger, and obviously heavier, than other helmets. The difference is in the way it sits on your head. I can honestly say I never noticed the weight in any way. 7.5/10

Durability - I wore this as my primary helmet for close to a year and the only flaws were with the chipped paint. I regularly washed the liner and it held up quite well. Unlike most other helmets, the shell itself isn't black or white. It's painted black or white and that paint will chip. Other than the paint, durability is great. 7.5/10

Intangibles- I love the fit, with the one exception, and I like the "Great Gazoo" look of the helmet. The fit was damn near perfect for me, something that's important on a non-adjustable helmet. Considering when the helmet was initially released, it was a true innovation in the hockey industry. 8/10

Conclusion -I probably could have resolved the minor fit issue but I'm lazy and have access to other helmets that are very cheap. I'll probably get around to fixing the problem at some point and using it again. total score 8/10

Mission Carbster Helmet Black Size Large Itech half-shield Used for beer league

Fit-I found it a little too tight with the liner in so I removed it. It was squeezing my head and giving me a headache. (yes, I ordered the right size) With the liner removed it sat too low on my forehead so I duct taped a piece of padding inside to hold it up off my forehead. All good. 8/10

Protection-Second to none though I worry about protection from concussions with the liner removed as the padding inside is quite firm. I haven't taken any hard blows to the head yet so I don't know. Pucks & sticks deflect off with little more than a scuff or paint chip. 10/10

Weight-A little heavy but hardly noticeable. 9/10

Durability-Like I said above-it takes a beating with no problem. After nearly two years of use people are still asking me if I got a new helmet. Other than a few paint chips it's still shiny. The only problem I've had with it is that the plastic tabs that hold the liner in broke off after only a few times removing/reinstalling. Like I said, I don't use the liner but if I did obviously this would be a problem 5/10

Intangibles-Like I said above-"nearly two years of use". Yeah, I like it. I tend to gravitate towards unusual gear so the odd look is right up my alley B) 10/10

Conclusion-Excellent helmet that never took off due to the high price and goofy look. It was a steal at $30 clearance price.

Average rating 8.4/10