Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyguy

Full Cage

I like the True Vision Bauer Chrome cage. Good ventilation and OK visibilty. Jofa is good because the wires are not as close togehter allowing better vision.

The best cage is the one in your bag while you are on the ice unless your league requires one :) I have worn a half=shield for over 10 years now and have never had a problem (I am probably jinxing myself right now). Just keep your head up, wear a mouth guard, and make sure you have at least a half-shield. Cages are for birds.

I've used the true vision and jofa and both are decent but I prefer the jofa because it has better visability. If you are switching from a visor to a cage I would suggest a chrome or white cage since it might be tough for your eyes to get used to a black cage right away.

Do yourself a favor before you spend money and decide you dont like a cage, ask yourself the following questions:

1) Does the league require you to wear a cage?

2) Did you get hit in the face and want to wear one?

3) Are you deciding to wear it for someone other then yourself (ie girlfriend, wife, mom)?

4) Is your league that chippy?

I tried to switch for reason 2 and 3 but I didnt like it and switched right back to the half shield within a game. In fact while I was playing the one game I wanted to take the cage off and play without it I hated it so much. I have to have something guarding my eyes though, Ive been hit in the corner of my eye socket before by a stick and it wasnt fun.

I've strongly been debating going to a cage. It's honestly been about 9 years since I've worn one - I wear a straight small Oakley and just now wearing a mouthguard. I caught a puck in the face last game and I just don't know...

I've strongly been debating going to a cage. It's honestly been about 9 years since I've worn one - I wear a straight small Oakley and just now wearing a mouthguard. I caught a puck in the face last game and I just don't know...

I thought it was cool to not wear one when I was younger but for us older guys it starts to get a little tough to come into the office with bruises and split lips all of the time. I already have a scar on my face from 15 stitches I got when I was 17 so I really don't need anymore scars from some idiot who can't control his stick.

I started wearing a cage about 5 years ago and haven't really thought about it since. I will play without it sometimes but only when I'm playing with people I know won't do anything stupid.

I would switch to a cage today if there was a way to make the chin cup invisible in my peripheral vision. I couldn't stand not being able to find the puck anywhere near my feet.

I would switch to a cage today if there was a way to make the chin cup invisible in my peripheral vision. I couldn't stand not being able to find the puck anywhere near my feet.

Have you tried a Jofa? The chin cup is detached from the cage so it "floats". Never really noticed it getting in the way before. Of course now that you said that, it will drive me nuts. :lol:

that was one of my problems with a cage too, I like being able to look down or at the boards without having to move my head.

I've strongly been debating going to a cage.  It's honestly been about 9 years since I've worn one - I wear a straight small Oakley and just now wearing a mouthguard.  I caught a puck in the face last game and I just don't know...

I thought it was cool to not wear one when I was younger but for us older guys it starts to get a little tough to come into the office with bruises and split lips all of the time. I already have a scar on my face from 15 stitches I got when I was 17 so I really don't need anymore scars from some idiot who can't control his stick.

I started wearing a cage about 5 years ago and haven't really thought about it since. I will play without it sometimes but only when I'm playing with people I know won't do anything stupid.

That's exactly it, Miserable...stupid peple who can't control their stick.

In the past three months I've gotten raked across the mouth and a swollen lip last week...it's really getting old...however I just don't think I could get used to a cage.

I just went from nothing to a small Oakley visor. I've had five different incidents involving stitches in my face in the past two seasons (sticks, puck , glass). Enough of flirting with Lady Luck. I'm a bit older now and can't justify not wearing something. The dentist can make up new teeth for you, but eyes are pretty special. Treat them right.

You are all wearing great pretective gear everywhere else on your body, but without an eye you'll be selling it all. Don Cherry won't love me, but I can still see! :rolleyes: ;)

That's exactly it, Miserable...stupid peple who can't control their stick.

In the past three months I've gotten raked across the mouth and a swollen lip last week...it's really getting old...however I just don't think I could get used to a cage.

Yup, it seems people are more careless with their sticks lately. A guy on me team who wears a cage got cut under the chin the other night from a guy who just didn't watch his follow through. I wouldn't mind getting caught with a puck or even a stick once in a while if it was truly an accident but I've had to many guys start swinging the stick at my head when I push them around in the corners a bit.

You should give the cage a shot in open hockey or practice and if you can't get used to it at least you tried it out.

yea, people in my league even use sticks up high as retaliation... my friend 2 handed a guy in the face the other day cause... well i don't know why...

How about the Itech Concept II full shield? (what the cage-averse NCAA players wear)

They suck too, fog up to quickly. I had to call a penalty on a guy the other day for letting his stick get away from him on a follow through. his stick ended up going right across this guys face so I had to call it. I was getting yelled at the whole time that it was a follow through, blah blah blah. You let your stick get away from you and it clips a guy across the face when he is standing up then Im sorry, you're going to the box.

Ive been hit in the face at least once in the past season by sticks, Its the number one reason I'll never go back to wearing nothing.