Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyguy

Full Cage

After using a half visor for so long, I kept it up until last year because I was just glad to be able to ditch it finally. I've gotten a nick here or there and thankfully not many close calls. Guys in my league are generally concentrating on hacking your hands, legs and stick and since I'm taller than 99% of them I don't feel a need for it anymore *knock on wood*. If I did go back, I'd go back to a Jofa chrome.

Bauer True Vision cages are IMO the best cages out there. I dont usually like cages, but this is the best I've played with in terms of vision. Doesnt affect the vision as much as other cages do.

My shop just started selling the new Itech cage, the RBE 8 (I think?) with the "I2 technology"... it's black on the outside, white on the inside... gives you the look of a black cage, the black side absorbs light so there's less glare, and the white side reduces distortion and helps increase your reaction time (according to Itech). The bar configuration is pretty nice too, looks like a cross between an Itech RBE III and a Jofa/CCM 480.

I use a Jofa 480 chrome. It's one of few cages that was available that fit me lengthwise. The bar spacing doesn't work for me that well, bar too high or low, so I've been considering changing back to an RBE III or something of the like. I've tried the Itech half-visor/cage combos before but couldn't stand the fogging.

I've worn full face protection for as long as I've been playing. I've taken enough weird bounce pucks to the face to justfy wearing a cage.

Every few months, I start thinking about playing league hockey with my half-shield (which I usually only use when playing pickup with friends). It's one of the Itech FX-50's so I can pop them on and off without any bother. Well, whenever I start thinking like that, something happens to make me reconsider. Last night was one of those moments...I was using my exceptional stature to provide excellent screening in front of the opposition's goal when my point man blasts one in low from the point. Their D man kind of gets a stick on it, only to send it right into my chops. It happened so fast, there would have been nothing I could have done to stop it. As it was, it was just a loud bang and a jarring impact. Much better than the "squish...crunch" that would have taken its place with a half-shield on. So once again, the urge to expose any of my face on ice has been quelled.

I used to use the Itech FX-50, and that, I must say, is a pretty good facemask. Just spray on a little "fog-free" spray, and go. Only problem with that was that it rusted pretty quickly, but that's the case with most cages. Also on a side note, the Itech I2 looks pretty good.

Try using some WD40 or any other rust proventing lubricant and a rag to remove the rust. It won't work to well on really bad cases but it does a great job on surface rust that happens to almost all cages. I've been using it on my Jofa when spots pop up and they come right off without any problem.

I just bought an Itech Concept II DLX full shield and read that applying dish detergent every 2-3 games will prevent fogging. Haven't tried it yet though.

Certainly the NCAA guys have no problem with fogging, so there must be a way to stop it.

I just bought an Itech Concept II DLX full shield and read that applying dish detergent every 2-3 games will prevent fogging. Haven't tried it yet though.

Certainly the NCAA guys have no problem with fogging, so there must be a way to stop it.

dish soap works like a charm, its what i do and i dont have problems with fog for about two games after applying it.

im not sure if college hockey players use this method though.

The Itech RBE III comes in the same TrueVision that Bauer's got if you like. I have that one but I don't use it unless I am required to.

thanks for all the help guys, I am switching to a cage due to a puck to the face. It knocked out 4 teeth and split my lip in half..needless to say i dont want to go through this again (or pay for it again). Im going to get a jofa chrome cage. For those who are debating going from a shield to cage, i wouldnt wait i debated for years untill i got my reason.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

I am considering getting a cage and right now the Itech cage and the Jofa cage seem to be a heavy favorite. I used a Itech Black cage for a year and hated it. The following year I used a cage/Visor combo (Itech) I thought it was ok but the ventatlation was lacking (obvisously) and I noticed the combo to be heavier then some cages. So right now I need to know if there is any diffence between a Itech black cage and a Jofa cage in terms of the bar spacing the chin cup etc etc.

One more thing, I couldnt stand the black bars so If I was to go for the Jofa it would most likly be a chrome. Other then the fact that white reflects light and black absorbs light is there a diffecne between chrome and black and is chrome better then black?

Thanks

Other then the fact that white reflects light and black absorbs light is there a diffecne between chrome and black and is chrome better then black?

Sorry to say you this, but I think it's personal preference.

For those who had problem with fogging, just buy the itech anti-fog spray and it will prevent the fogging.

Whip:

Which Itech cage were you using, RBE III? The two closely spaced vertical bars in the middle bothered me. If you want good spacing, Jofa 480 for sure. The chin cup on the 480 is separate from the straps, unlike the Itechs I've seen where it just loops through the cage and is easily removable.

You may want to also consider the Itech 908 RBE VIII that's pretty similar to the Jofa, except the finish is a flat silver color and not chrome if you think reflections from the chrome might bother you.

i was talking to a guy in our shop the other day...turns out he's the owner of hockeycage www.hockeycage.com

he says they are very popular in the new england area & some other more ice hockeyish areas...he lives here in the st. louis area, but hasn't really tried to sell them here yet...anyone ever tried or heard of them?...

That cage looks incredibly unprotective. It's difficult to say without having it in front of me, but it looks like there are 4 or 5 spots a stick could sneak in and do some damage.

I have been hearing that most ppl prefer a cage due to the ventalation, does this ventalation also effect breathing and recovery time. Since more ventalation equals more air does that mean it can help your breathing?

wearing a cage really is not as much of a sacrifice as some ppl make it to be, initially you may notice you're wearing one, but after awhile you dont even notice its there. sure its not as good as the vision you get with a visor or with nothing, but id rather sacrifice a little vision for keeping my eyesight....just my two cents

i was talking to a guy in our shop the other day...turns out he's the owner of hockeycage www.hockeycage.com

he says they are very popular in the new england area & some other more ice hockeyish areas...he lives here in the st. louis area, but hasn't really tried to sell them here yet...anyone ever tried or heard of them?...

After looking at that cage I think it is probably the worst designed cage when it comes to protection. There is a good reason why they didn't try to get it certified... there's no way it would pass...