Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rinkrat94

Tour Blue Max 05

I am thinking abut getting a pair of Tour blue max skates. Anyone use them or heard any feedback on them? Were they Tour's top of the line last year?

I too am planning to buy a pair of bluemax.

Iv done my research and these skates were tours best from '05.

No, they arent top of the range, they are 2nd in line. However, the top-of-line model (beemer) is tours 'lightweight' model they need for marketing purposes.

The bluemax possibly has a stronger (but a bit heavier) boot, slightly different wheels (i'd switch to rinkrats when they wear out), same bearings and importantly the same chassis (labedas top of range hummer which carries all-80mm wheels).

hope this helps.

Lawrence.

I've had the Blue Max since they came out and I love them. I'm an admitted fan of Tour skates but these were just an ideal combination of comfort and performance.

They sell for like $150-$175 now and for that price you truly cannot go wrong.

The Beemer is a nice skate like Bagurk said, but really not much lighter. I hear the new Code 1's are actually noticeably lighter and since they are based around the same boot design as the Blue Maxs, these will be my next skate.

A word about the notorious Hummer Chasis: If you're used to skating Hi-Lo style skates with smaller wheels in the front and bigger wheels in the back it WILL feel odd and take a few games to get used to BUT once you do, you'll see it was worth it!

I have an unused code 1 and an unused code E2 ineach hand, (prior to typing) both are sized 10 and I can't tell the difference in weight. I haven't weighed them yet but there can't be much in it either way.

Same componants underneath the boot but I think the E2 looks better that would be my choice.

I hear they are miles lighter than last year. I haven't seen them but the beemers felt pretty weighty I thought.

So the beemer was tours top on the line skate in 05 and the blue max was tour 2nd best  skate in 05?

Yep!

I got a pair of 05 BlueMax's this past December and love them.

Coming from a Mission VSi pair that I rigged with abec7's, the tours are far more comfy and alot quicker (of course that's due to the fact that I put Abec 9's in).

I took me about 2 games to fully get used to the straight 80 hummer chassis, but now I prefer it.

The only complaint I have with it is the boot height...originally too short. Although I like the shorter height now for the increased mobility it yields, the top outside edge of the right boot cut into my leg just above the ankle during the break in process. I had to wear a wrist band above the ankle to prevent it from digging in too much until they fully broke in. Now it's not an issue.

the Beemer, or Code 1, for the matter isn't made for marketing purposes, its the flagship...a Mission He10000 isn't made purely for marketing purposes..

The Blue Max is slightly stiffer than the Beemer but shares many of its attributes...that whole line was a return to what worked for tour in the 962/982/950 type boots...deep fitting etc

if you are getting cuts around your ankle..put on a super thin sock, I get that with open fitting boots (ie. my 3090's but find some real thin wicking socks (or good dress socks like that) and it keeps my ankles in one piece..

Was the beemer tour's top of the line skate in 04 and 05? Some websites have it listed as the 04 beemer and some as the 05 beemer?

I got a pair of Blue Maxs on sale about a month ago. After going through the Code1 debacle, I didn't think I'd go back to Tour. But hey, the price was right so I gave them another shot.

The Blue Maxs are heavy. Heavier than any boot I've ever used. I have minihub wheels and mini bearings in there and it helps. One thing is they are listed as an 8, but they feel very wide. I know Tours do fit wide, but I had the Code1s in an 8, and these feel much wider than that.

As far as the getting used to the Hummer, it really wasn't a bad transition. I had been on nothing but HiLos. It took me a solid 5 games before I really felt truly comfortable in them. After I had problems with the Code1s, I went back to HiLos for awhile (6 months). I just bought the Blue Maxs and the transition took me about 1 shift. I think playing ice hockey helped because the Hummer is more like an ice blade then HiLo is. Just my opinion.

I did get some lacebite with the Code1s. I wound up just shifting the tongue over to the side of the pain and it helped out a bit.

I have tour blue maxs and they fit great and are extremely comfortable. I didn't really care for the wheels that came with the skates but i'm sure thats just personal preference.

Can someone tell me how the Blue Max Tour sizing might go to shoe size ? I've regularly seen what seem to be insanely low prices (sub $100) for these skates, and although I have never played inline, at these prices I might just pick up a pair. There are really no inline stores in Toronto, so I could never buy anything locally for anything close to that price. I wear a size 7-7.5 shoe, wearing 6.5 Graf 609s and 5.5 Bauer One90s. I know this is a long shot, but I figure I'm not wagering much money.

Thanks in advance!

Just as a word of advice, if you're used to Hi-Lo chassis you may need to adjust your skating style on the Hummers due to the setup. I've the Red Max's for 1.5 years and once I got used to the all-80mm setup the skates have been the best I've ever owned. Assuming the Blue Max is one up in the "chain of command" it should be much better than my Red Max's

As for sizing, it's recommended you go with 1.5 size smaller than your street shoe size, however, my street shoe size is generally a 9 (some shoes 8.5 feels better) but I go with the size 8 Tour boot.

I wear a size 11 shoe, and my beemers are a size 10. While they fit well, I have tried on a teammates size 9 and it was a nice, snug fit. Optimal would probably been a 9.5, which is 1 1/2 sizes down.

edit: Also, the blues are a top of the line skate. the beemers retailed higher, but I had a discussion with a VP at tour when I sent in my silver maxes for a warranty claim. The blues are a higher cut boot, but just as stiff and durable as the Beemer. Playing anywhere from 2-5 times a week, my beemers are about 2 years old now, and have held up very well.

Thanks guys, unfortunately Hockeygiant seems to be sold out of the sizes that would likely fit me (only have 7 and 7.5 I think), based on your recommendations. So I guess I'm going to have pass on this deal, but I'll keep my eyes peeled with this information in hand.

keep your eye on ebay, as they pop on there frequently. Hockeydeals.com has them in more sizes for $150, which is still a good price.

Thanks, I did seesome on ebay for $150 around the recommended sizes, but since I'm not sure about the fit, or even how much I would use them, I'm going to play the cheapskate and only pull the trigger on a really, really, cheap deal.

what size? hockey giant has them for $85 but only in 7 and 7.5.

I saw those and was hoping a 7 would work for me. But it sounds like the consensus is that I would probably need a 6....