Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thunderhockey19

your style?

i want to hear what most of you guys are when im in net im definatly a butterfly goaltender it has a good feel to it to me for some reason can stop mostly anything when a go down into butterfly even high shots. well what are you guys let me know your style and describe it because i know alot of goalies combine styles. like mostly stand-up but go occational butterfly i think thats what most goaltenders want to be. i doubt anyone is pretty much strictly stand up and never goes into butterfly but let me know. lets here some of the hybrid styles too!

I play goalie occasionally for my Senior A team (usual position RW). I have a very weird style. Kind of a mix between stand up and butterfly but I also have a very low crouching stance, so I look a little like a catcher in baseball. I only go down when the shot is below my knees, I detest butterfly goalies that drop on EVERY shot and punish them if Im playing RW, by slamming it top shelf everytime.

I love the vision my stance gives me, I can see almost all pucks even screens because Im so low I can see the play in between player's legs. Its bad technically I know but its worked so far for me. Im also South Paw which makes it easier to play the puck as Im a right handed skater.

I liked to stay pretty low and then i pretty much butterfly everyshot. But it worked for me pretty well. Plus my other stregth was puckhandling that i guess could be one of my styles.

I'm hybrid. I stand up for high shots, butterfly in low. My stance is pretty narrow. But nothing like Nabokov, I only widen my stance when the plays come in close.

i play exactly like roman Cechmanek, one i day i just flipped on the t.v. and i watch some of the game. i do exactly what he does. he did let in six goals that game tho.

I am a butterfly goalie, i almost drop for most shots, but keep blocker and glove high,i cover the upper net pritty good. i like to use stand up style when its needed,i think its better to have a mixture, so u can use them for different game situations. i also widen my stance, exposing my 5 hole for breakaways, this almost certainly makes the shooter go 5 hole,which can be a very easy save if predicted.

your just like me when i go down in to butterfly i keep my glove and bocker up pretty high so if they try going up top i can get my glove or blocker up there and make the save. i expose my 5 hole a little to and as soon as i see there shooting low i close it right up.

When i butterfly i keep my gloves low so that i can move them upwards. A study was done and you can move your glove 4 tiimes faster upwards then downwards. So i kinda go by that.

well,that indeed is true, but i find by bringing ur glove & blocker out towards the shooter,this gives a better chance of beating the pucks tragectory(cant spell that). and therefore making a save. this works in both a upwards and downwards movement.

When i butterfly i keep my gloves low so that i can move them upwards. A study was done and you can move your glove 4 tiimes faster upwards then downwards. So i kinda go by that.

This also takes away the shooters option doesn't it? Sometimes I'll go under the goalies glove where this will eliminate the option and make me shoot either above your glove so you're aware it'll go there or right on the ice. At least thats how I percieve this style and I know a few goalies who do it this way.

ihockeyiregoalie43 - I can see your reason for doing this and I like the "attack the puck" philosophy, but do you ever have trouble with rebound control?

yes,thats completely true,

the biggest flaw with my particular game is rebound control,but recently ive started to improve in this area,pritty smart of you to notice that though. ifind that with practice my way of stoping the puck is simple and by the simple flick of the wrist an all important save can be made.

It seems like I combine the play of everyone here...

My coach says I am very aggresive when I play the way I want. I "attack the puck," especially on broken plays and deke's. I am patient in that I wait for the shooter to decide where he wants to shoot and act accordingly, unless it is a breakaway, then I give a large 5 hole. But it seems I am up and down a lot, and not staying down long. I also like to play the puck, but I am a bit erratic with my clears so straying from the crease is always an adventure!