Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeniousHOCKEY'04

tryouts

hey, i just tried out for 3 AAA teams and got cut from all three of them. i am most likely going to try out for AA, in which the tryouts are in september... all three of the AAA coaches told me to work on my all around skating speed, and mobility, and what i do when i do not have the puck. any suggestions on what to do or what would help these issues please post.

How old are you? You'll need to try and understand the game better to learn what to do without the puck. I take it your a younger guy so try and do alot of running and push-ups and stuff with your own body weight. Jumps and sprints should help with this. There's alot of information on training already listed, as for the mental aspect. Try and read a few books on hockey, watch old game tapes and try to follow a player and pick where he is, where he should be and where is going to go.

That is quite hefty even for a 6'1 guy. I'm with Theo on this one in that shedding a few pounds will probably help with your mobility.

I'm that size and I'm 30 and don't get as much opportunity to excercise as I would like. I know I'd love to shed a few pounds, I'd think you might want to as well.

ok, heres another big thing, i always get on a breakaway during the scrimmages and get stoned by the goalies, what are some good dekes?

Glad to see the cherry picking is paying off. Spend some time developing your hands instead of looking for shortcuts. Best thing to do is see what the goalie is giving you and take it.

Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you. You need to start with the basics, Diets do not work, you'll need a lifestyle change. Everything is okay, in moteration. Cut down your fatty food intake, cut out snacking as much as possible, and start running. I'd do push-ups everynight, sit-ups everynight, and go for runs. See how far you can run, keep running the same distance and every 2 weeks increase is by another half mile. Try stickhandling a goldball while you watch TV, don't think that running and excercising alone will turn your game around, be out and as active as possible. Go for hikes, bike rides, whatever you can to stay outside whenever you aren't excercising.

First off, don't diet with only salads and protein. Eat a balanced diet of about 45-30-25 ratio of carb calories to protein to fat. Eat 5-7 smaller meals a day, making breakfast the biggest and get smaller with each successive meal. Then, do a lot of bodyweight exercises, and sprints and hill runs, cuz you do need to cut some weight to get faster and, more importantly, quicker. As for being ona breakaway and not scoring, don't concentrate on the deke and concentrate on the goalie. Just look at how he's moving and try to get a good read on the goalie before you get on the breakaway. If deke's aren't working, then go simpler; one fake and go wide and roof it, or just shoot. I don't know i I've ever seen Joe Sakic bust a killer deke, but the guy demoralizes goalies, so try the quick snapshot, preceded by a shoulder fake. But please GOD don't diet with just protein and salads, you'll die and batter your metabolism...

At you weight, to change the flab to muscle, you should be taking in 230 grams of protein a day, and only around 75 grams of carbs (vegies and fruit). You should also be pumping iron and doing aerobics. Get the % body fat down and then come back here and ask for some specific agility exercises.

For breakaways there is a simple rule to follow: if the goalie is out and aggressive, deke, if he is deep in his net, shoot. One thing I've found to work is being able to shoot while striding. It catches the goalie off guard. Also, try to avoid any tell-tale signs of what you plan to do, don't stare at where you're going to shoot the whole way in. Another thing to remember if you're going to shoot instead of deke, you want to be no closer than the middle of the circles when you shoot, otherwise you're getting too close and losing your shooting angles. One other thing I've found that helps is not to go straight in on the net but come at a little bit of an angle. This forces the goalie to have to more laterally as well as forward and back in his crease and creates openings for you.

For Breakaways Sakic is the one who actually "taught" me to be as simple as possible and go for the low corners. And unless you hit the posts it hardly fails if the goalie is deep.

With a wrister like Joe has, shooting is never a bad option.

At you weight, to change the flab to muscle, you should be taking in 230 grams of protein a day, and only around 75 grams of carbs (vegies and fruit). You should also be pumping iron and doing aerobics. Get the % body fat down and then come back here and ask for some specific agility exercises.

You do not need that much protein in your diet based on that ratio. First off, eating better carbs is a start and if all you do is eat that protein you will no doubt lose a lot of energy you had as your body cannot store protein as it can carbs. Remember that you only need so much protein in your diet (I've heard 15 %) and after that it does nothing for you and all you do is urinate it out. That's basically why the Atkins diet works so well in the way that nothing is really stored in your body.

Try looking up Jack LaLanne's conceptions of diet and exercise; that guy, at 90 years old, could kick the crap out of probably 98% of the world. He supports eating as much unprocessed foods as you can...

A professional trainer, who trains several NHL players, recommended 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound to us. 230 lbs means 230 grams of protein a day, minimum. I know it is a lot, and you have to eat a lot of eggs and chicken breasts to do it, even one of those yech protein drinks. 5 yo 7 small meals a day helps. I have heard this same protein number other places also. This is only during the phase when he is trying to convert body fat into muscle without loosing the weight but while exercising religously.

The other thing he said was, after a strenuous workout someone would ideally be handing you a high carb drink the moment you stopped your last lift. To build the muscle, you need the carbs in that 15 minute time window.

i'm a goalie and this is what i have noticed alot, if a player is going to shoot. he will have the stick beside his body. deke, it will be infront. so try to mix that up but that is what i have noticed everyyear i have played hockye

does anyone know good excersizes for strengthening abs, i need to work on those.

www.google.com

Sit-ups. Mix it up, just search around and you'll find alot of helpful things you can do.

As much as I agree a certain Diet may help our friend here, I think he's too young to be firing through labels and it's harder because he isn't old enough to purchase his own food. I would cut down on the McDonalds and cut down portion size as well as working out, running and staying healthy in general. I said earlier you won't need a diet, you'll need a lifestyle change. There are so many diets and everyone believes that the one they are on is the right one, you'll need to find what works for you. But like I said I don't think a diet at your age is a good idea, just cut down fats and portion size. Split up your meals and eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day and try not to eat past 8 at night.

A professional trainer, who trains several NHL players, recommended 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound to us. 230 lbs means 230 grams of protein a day, minimum. I know it is a lot, and you have to eat a lot of eggs and chicken breasts to do it, even one of those yech protein drinks. 5 yo 7 small meals a day helps. I have heard this same protein number other places also. This is only during the phase when he is trying to convert body fat into muscle without loosing the weight but while exercising religously.

The other thing he said was, after a strenuous workout someone would ideally be handing you a high carb drink the moment you stopped your last lift. To build the muscle, you need the carbs in that 15 minute time window.

Don't get me wrong, I am not disagreeing with you, just remember that protein only repairs muscles and does not build them or turn into them. Therefore, once your body has received all the protein it needs, it does nothing more than turn into ammonia and become part of your urine.

ok, heres another big thing, i always get on a breakaway during the scrimmages and get stoned by the goalies, what are some good dekes?

The best way to beat a goalie on a deke, is to beat him first with a good snap or wrist shot from say 10' away as has been well described in earlier posts. Once he knows you are a threat to shoot it is much easier to sell a "deke". Faking a shot can freeze a goalie as well as anything..if he respects your shot.

By using three elements all the time..speed..the faster you can come in the faster the goalie must make a commitment, angled approach...by coming in at an angle as suggested above, you can force the lateral movement of the goalie better than coming in straight on, shooting a fair percentage of the time..keep the goalie guessing..this will allow you to control his depth in the net to a degree.

Combining these with speed gives the goalie much less time to make up his mind, and more likely to commit first. Sakic has often been mentioned in here....what makes him so effective besides the accuracy and speed of shot, is his ability to release the puck while skating at high speed without much of a giveaway that he is going to shoot. Many times he looks like he is about to cross over..like he is faking a move..and he will release the shot from an unexpected position...while the goalie is moving to maintain his angle on Joe's anticipated shift of position.

Thats exactly true about protein, if you take too much at one time is goes right down the toilet. You have to get it in 6-7 smaller meals a day. That is also why you have to drink a lot of water. Notice that I am only addressing the specific need of a person that has too much fat, and wants to turn it into muscle without losing weight, and do so during the summer layoff.

Once you get there, obviously you need less protein. Also, if you are starting from the right body fat%, you do not have to be so drastic. A maintanence diet would have much more carbs, and indeed you would need them to play in a hockey game.

I looked up what the normal protein requirements for an athlete are in "The Personal Trainer Manual" of the American Council on Exercise. This is for after you have finished your diet to get to the right % body fat:

"In general, protein recommendations for athletes are about 1.2 to 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight."

That equals a mean of 152 grams of protein per day for a 230 lb athlete.

They also go on to caution: "Consuming more protein than the body can use should be avoided. When athletes consume diets that are high in protein, they compromise their carbohydrate status, possibly affecting their ability to train and compete at peak performance."

So, I would not do the higher protein diet during the season.