Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sc37

Any English Majors?

What's the difference...I'm so frigging confused. I'm to make up 5 analogies about anything from speech class for my final speech...ain't got a clue what I'm doing after she explained the assignment. I thought a similie was an analogy? :blink:

What's the difference...I'm so frigging confused. I'm to make up 5 analogies about anything from speech class for my final speech...ain't got a clue what I'm doing after she explained the assignment. I thought a similie was an analogy? :blink:

an analogy is like this.

hockey:hockey skates as baseball:baseball cleats

the : stand for is to

simile is u got raped like saturday morning toast (just somethin my friend says)

similies use like or as

btw i just finished grade 8....

Well teacher says, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get" is an analogy. She then goes and says similies can be in analogies.

So I'm frigging confused. If I was going along with what she said...only analogy so far I can come up for the assignmen is 'Class is like classical music, it always puts me to sleep.'

The metaphor is similar to the simile , but doesn't say that one thing is like another thing. A metaphor says one thing IS another thing!

For example, in this sentence:

"Bill is a cunning old fox" , we are comparing Bill to a fox and we are saying they are both cunning.

But we are saying that Bill is not just like a fox. He's so cunning, he IS a fox!

Another example of a metaphor is this: "Mary is a sheep, just following everyone else", where we are comparing Mary to a sheep and saying they are similar because they both follow.

But we are saying that Mary is not just like a sheep. She follows others so much, she IS a sheep!

Therefore, this sentence is an example of a metaphor.

A similie uses LIKE or AS. ALWAYS.

My love is like a red, red rose —Robert Burns

Her hair was like gravy, running brown off her head and clumping up on her shoulders.

An analogy is not a grammatical function, but more a literary function.

Definition

An analogy is a comparison of certain similarities between things which are otherwise unlike.

Example

Here is an example of an analogy:

A street light is like a star. Both provide light at night, both are in predictable locations, both are overhead, and both serve no function in the daytime.

OK think that sounds right Ti-Girl.

I wrote down what the teacher said...and she mentioned something about predicting the future or future situation. So the explanation stuff you had behind that similie would do it I think.

Now to think of ones relation to speech class...