Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

measuring lie

Is there a formula or technique that allows you to take a blade or stick that you like and measure it to see what the lie is? I tried a brief search but could not seem to come up with it. I thought I had read this info somewhere, maybe it was not in this site. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Someone just sold a tool called a lie detector in the buy/sell forum. Try doing a search for that post. It had a link to how to use it. Looked pretty interesting.

I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my sticks (shortening or lengthening by small increments) to make sure my lie is perfect. I think one more adjustment of adding an inch will put the wear directly on the center of my blade :D

Is there a formula or technique that allows you to take a blade or stick that you like and measure it to see what the lie is? I tried a brief search but could not seem to come up with it. I thought I had read this info somewhere, maybe it was not in this site. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Is the one you like a pro or retail model? I generally compare unknown lies to a stick that I already know. I won't go into another discussion of the lie detector here.

I have a lie detecter, in fact I was the one who bought it from Fletch in the sell forum. I am just curious to see if I can compare what I know I like to what the lie detector says I should like. I will probably try a BB blade with the lie detector-recommended lie just for kicks anyway.

i have a question about the lie of the TPS Sundin curve. every website says its a 5 but when i compared it to my forsberg it is not even close. it seems like its a 6. i really love the curve but need the lie to be a 5. is it just me or does anyone else know if TPS's lies are off?

TPS lies are pretty accurate, the Brendl/Sundin's I've seen are all 5s. The problem is the methods that people use to compare lies tend to vary and because of that the results vary.

so you think id be ok using it? i need a lie of 5. i really am sick of having sticks with the wrong lies. ie messier curve.

TPS lies are pretty accurate, the Brendl/Sundin's I've seen are all 5s. The problem is the methods that people use to compare lies tend to vary and because of that the results vary.

Is there a definitive method for establishing/measureing a lie? How does TPS do it?

Is there a definitive method for establishing/measureing a lie? How does TPS do it?

It's the angle created by the intersection of the shaft and the blade. It does not generally include other factors like the rocker. It's the rocker on the bottom that can make people think a blade like a Lindros (Bauer P88) is anywhere from a 5 to 6. The most accurate way to compare lie (at least for me) is to make sure the center of the blade is flat on the ground, or ice, not the heel. A blade with a large rocker like the P88 will be far harder to read.

A much easier way to compare lies is to hold the shafts together and compare the bottoms of the blades. Again, rocker can throw off the measurement so you have to be alert for that.

so you think id be ok using it? i need a lie of 5. i really am sick of having sticks with the wrong lies. ie messier curve.

You should be fine.

So if I have a blade/stick that I like there is no way I can take a measurement and say that it is a 5.0 or 5.5 or whatever lie is that correct? As I mentioned I have a bb lie detector and will buy a bb blade at some point. I expect that when I get the new blade I will be able to compare it with the blade I like.

I'd like to know about how Warrior's lie measurements, the Robitaille in particular. Do they have a different method of measurement from everyone else, or are all of their blade lies really that low?

I'd like to know about how Warrior's lie measurements, the Robitaille in particular. Do they have a different method of measurement from everyone else, or are all of their blade lies really that low?

All warriors that I have seen are at least .5 if not 1.0 higher than listed in the catalog.

So if I have a blade/stick that I like there is no way I can take a measurement and say that it is a 5.0 or 5.5 or whatever lie is that correct? As I mentioned I have a bb lie detector and will buy a bb blade at some point. I expect that when I get the new blade I will be able to compare it with the blade I like.

I was told by BB that the lie detector was not designed to compare existing blades, only to determine what you should be using. Considering it showed my modano was about a 7, I'll have to agree with them.

I was told by BB that the lie detector was not designed to compare existing blades, only to determine what you should be using. Considering it showed my modano was about a 7, I'll have to agree with them.

That does make some sense. I tried the lie detector last night. THe trouble is that the directions tell you to use as reference a particular part of the leg anatomy. The pictures have the guy hanging his arm at that point. Here's the trouble; the guy in the picture is a short limbed thick guy whose hand seems to hang naturally at that point. I am more of the long-limbed gangley type and my grip hangs a good five or six inches lower on my body. So I am wondering if black beauty is really suggesting the point of the hip to be the reference or a straight arm. I think it is possible that they think everyon's arms hang to the same spot on their legs. My son has the same body proportions as I do. According to the lie detector, I need a 4 lie and my son needs a six.

I would still like to find out what the convention is in the industry so I can measure the lies on existing sticks and blades.I am coming to the conclusion that there is no convention which is why there is so much confusion on blade pattern charts and between different companies.

I think the Black Beauty is only really accurate for their blades. If it is of any importance, all of the Pulse sticks are a 5.5 lie.

I think the Black Beauty is only really accurate for their blades. If it is of any importance, all of the Pulse sticks are a 5.5 lie.

Elias is a 5 no?

lol, my grip is about 8" lower than my hip bone... Does that mean I need a lie of like 3? :lol:

Unless you use a very short stick, then yes. (according to the lie detector). This why I think that a 3 lie on a bb is different than a 3 on someone elses' blades. It makes sense that the bb detector would only be accurate with their blades. Has anyone compared a specific lie on a bb with a kown lie from another company?

lol, my grip is about 8" lower than my hip bone... Does that mean I need a lie of like 3? :lol:

Unless you use a very short stick, then yes. (according to the lie detector). This why I think that a 3 lie on a bb is different than a 3 on someone elses' blades. It makes sense that the bb detector would only be accurate with their blades. Has anyone compared a specific lie on a bb with a kown lie from another company?

My 5 lie BB blade is a little lower than my 5 lie christian or TPS blades. The BB is actually very close to my Sullivan Response that is closer to 4.75 or so. The fact is is so flat on the bottom for so long makes it a little hard to compare accurately.

yeah, that's not correct at all. Think about it, if I'm puckhandling I don't have my upper hand straight down. When I would bend my elbow and put my lower hand on the shaft the heel of the blade would be off the ice.

Is there a formula or technique that allows you to take a blade or stick that you like and measure it to see what the lie is?  I tried a brief search but could not seem to come up with it.  I thought I had read this info somewhere, maybe it was not in this site.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?showtopic=14529

That is exactly what I was looking for. :D When you say to take a line straight down the hosel, I assume you mean the front right? This is great. How does it compare to the downloaded drawings (if those ever got posted)? I am a lefty so it wouldbe great to have.

#96, if you read this and still have your dad's lie chart can you try posting it or send it to me?

Thanks.