Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quintin

Stickhandling at 4am

Quintin, it looks as if you are holding your bottom hand tight and sort of "chopping wood." I wouldn't know if that is right or wrong, it is just contrary to my form.

Concerning the hand positioning, I think it depends on the each situation. I try to skate in a crouched motion, and when I stick handle at speed I tend to keep my hands farther apart. In a situation where I am idle or gliding ("walking in") my hands are usually closer together.

I don't really have a thing for fast stickhandling, to be honest. I guess it's just not my style. I don't really see a need to dribble at the speed of light . My opinion is probably swayed by my ability to stick handle fast. Since I can't stick handle very fast, I try to focus on toe/heel control and moving the puck with quick, concise wrist movements. Anyone else feel the same way/do similarly?

I don't think anyone needs to have quick dribbling skills same way in basketball no one needs to be a fancy ballhandler to be effective.

If anything practicing and accomplishing this skill will enhance your overall puckhandling control.

I think someone who can skate super fast yet very smoothly and carrying the puck calmly while moving/pivoting in a controlled manner is much more graceful sight. Head up, knees/ ankles bent, shoulders square, butt way out, and elbows bent, guiding the puck.

I feel this way of puckhandling lets your skating dictate where you go. That's not to say "dribblers" can't move around nicely.

I kind of see it as scott niedermayer kind of puck carrying versus a samsonov kind of puckhandling. Smooth versus almost "frantic".

I like a mix of both, it's why I like Kovalev and Fedorov, they can control the puck with such speed and grace but the can also the deke the hell of a player like there is nothing. Niedermayer is good to rush the puck but when he need to do a quick dangle, he's not in the same category.

Niedermayer is a defenceman though, so you can't compare their hands. Peter Forsberg is very good with the puck at full speed, and so is Jason Spezza, that's who comes to my mind. These are non-Russians. lol It's unfair to compare Russian stickhandling to the rest of the world. We could go on forever with Russian danglers... Datsyuk, Kovalev, Fedorov, Ovechkin, Malkin, Mogilny, Bure, Kovalchuk etc. It's rediculous if you think about it....

This is compared to someone like Ryan Smyth, he's good and gets the job done, but has garbage hands. :)

Defenseman don't have nice hands? Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Brian Leetch , any defenseman whose forte is rushing the puck or controlling the point.

Same way not all forwards have nice hands or skating ability for that matter. Classifying skills by position is outdated.

get a sheet of plexiglass, then stick handle a puck on it. it works good, it teaches you to have "soft & smooth" hands. stickhandling really fast doesn't do much, because if your just stick handling really fast, any smart defencemen just has to poke check you and your done.

I just saw the video, and this is the "other" / "opposite" way of stickhandling, with the blade heel and shaft moving the most and the blade toe moving the least (see my posts towards the end of Kovy_Ribs_Fedo's "infamous stickhandling" thread.

Kovy_Ribs' infamous video, ***New Video***Page 14

If you want to dribble faster, move the blade heel and shaft less, and twist the stick (e.g. use your wrists) so that the toe moves left to move the ball / puck left, and the toe moves right to move the ball / puck right.

Because you are moving less (stick, arms, body parts), you will be able to dribble faster. The ball / puck will be closer to the heel. The toe can be up while you stickhandle this way, too, another advantage (I think Kovy_Ribs_Fedo talks about his toe being 2-3 inches off the ice when he dribbles the puck in one of the posts in that thread).

Take another look at Kovy_Ribs_Fedo's stickhandling for a perfect example.

Didn't read all the drivel between the orig post and here, so sorry if I'm repeating.

The vid is not long enough, but you seem to favor contact with the heel. Most contact should be in the middle or closer to the toe, but practice with all areas of the blade. Move it up and back at will. get a feel for where it is on the blade. Move your hands up and down too. It's a dynamic game, no? Also turn the lights out. Not that we don't like watching you, but you should be able to do it blindfolded. You need to be able to crash the net and hit the top corner or find the open man. You can't do this staring at the puck. You'll lose your face too.

Watch Brad Richards. IMO he's the best in the NHL at keeping his head up. He made a play vs. Ottawa in the playoffs where he walked in three steps from the point and fired a slapshot in the top corner while looking straight ahead the whole time. Simply awesome!