Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pong

i need help...

im new...

tried skating for about a month only... once a week...

so far... can move forward fast already... backwards... moderate...

front crossovers...

the thing is... having a hard time doing it clockwise... everytime... i lose my balance...

any tips to help me?

This is something that plagues all beginners. Basiclly you need to practice as much as possible, keep your knees low and direct your chest into the turn. Figure 8's are good as well as the drill with witch's hats where you basiclly weave in between each way. Remember to practice both directions and all edges to make sure you feel as natural as possible.

Yep i'd say the main problem i see people are "scared" to go on their outside edges so cant push off with the foot which makes crossovers pointless as it adds no power

I'd say practice outside edges alot and try to get comfortable at everything in both directions

Nothing helps crossovers better than doing the circles. I used to help run a clinic and that helped out a lot of guys. We would do them going forward first and than moving up to going backward.

turning left is really easy for me... even at speed...

turning right is a different question... hehehe... there is a highly likely chance that ill just slip... that is so weird for me... what is the difference between turning right and left (thinking out loud coz i cant figure out why i slip most the time when i turn right quickly...)

oh btw, when i skate clockwise... it feels so awkward on the ankles... as if it doesnt want to turn right...

People are one-sided or have a dominant side...it's like being right or left handed. So it will always be easier to do a skill with your dominant side...and you will always have to work harder to develop your weaker side.

You've mentioned in another thread that you don't have much help with hockey in your area... you probably will be able to find some figure skating help. Basic skating skills are universal...so checking that out might be a good place to start.

There are also other threads on MSH that deal with skating. You can use the search tab at the top to find them. A recent one on "Backwards Crossovers" comes to mind. Try searching for that and if you have problems finding it let me know and I'll help you with the search. There is so much information on this site it really helps to use the search feature!

Oh...one more tip (hope you don't mind) if you title your thread more specifically... like this one "skating tips" maybe...it will help you find it later on using the search feature...and will let people know what info you want help with. Best of luck pong!

Nothing helps crossovers better than doing the circles. I used to help run a clinic and that helped out a lot of guys. We would do them going forward first and than moving up to going backward.

Yep. And do them as fast as you can; if you don't lose your edge and fall at least once while doing the circles, you're not going fast enough.

Doing them at top speed will force you to learn better edgework than doing them slow.

(This is assuming you're skating in situations where falling and sliding isn't going to cause problems; I wouldn't try this at an open skate where you could slide into someone not in pads, for instance. In that case, do it slower, but do try to keep your speed up.)

anyone know sites with videos? those with free downloads... i only saw some... like the links from the "backward crossover" topic...

i slammed on the ground a lot of times while practicing the crossover (to the left... now... i slip only once in a while... ) to the right... almost always... hehehe

figure skating coaches... yup have been talking to them... one was kind enough to help me out a bit... it just feels quite weird bcoz im doing figure skating moves while in hockey skates. hahaha! they really move their hands a lot... hahaha

dont worry about falling down. when your are get on that outside edge. i know when i started it was out of my comfort zone. its completly normal. get low by bending your knees, and when you crossovver try hard and try to not touch your knees together.

When you get it so you do not fall down all the time and look foolish, go sign up for a 10 or so 1/2 hour lessons with your local figure skating instructor. It will help a lot.

Also, on top of all the crossover practice. Did you consider the guy that sharpened your skates might have messed up? Maybe theres no edge and thats why you slip alot?

It took me a long time to do cross overs around a circle without stopping. I was always afraid of wiping out right in front of the boards, and it hurts. Just push yourself every practice, It should come.

6 hours of practice this weekend...

wow... my legs hurt!!!

my thighs... calves... shin... name it... and it hurts!

(at least my butt doesnt... hahaha! i slammed on the ground only

once today... )

Body symmertry can play a role in how comfortable you feel skating in one direction vs. the other. Most people will have one foot slightly smaller than the other, in length, width, arch height, etc. This will affect how well your skate fits each foot.

If you're having problems turning right, it's possible your left skate isn't fitting as well as your right skate: the back skate (i.e. your left skate when turning right) is what keeps you from wiping out normally (if your weight distribution is more or less even across both feet). So a loose left skate could mean your left ankle is collapsing in further on the inside edge compared to your other skate when turning in your better direction. You could try adjusting the tightness/fit of your skates to get better stability first to see if that helps.

Otherwise, from my own experience, it helps to skate both directions and pay close attention to how your knees are bent, where your legs are relative to each other, upper body position, weight distribution, etc. You should find you'll be, for example, bending your front knee more skating in one direction than the other. Going by feel isn't always the best way to tell what you are doing wrong because you're body is used to doing things that particular way and you want to unlearn "bad habits" and teach yourself good ones. Also try turning your head and shoulders into the direction you're turning. Most beginners I find tend to look straight ahead and are afraid to lean into their turn on the bad side (or any side). You'd be surprised how much the weight of your upper body affects your centre of gravity and thus the way you turn. Also, you don't need to skate full speed to work on turns, you can go a moderate speed and suddenly throw your upper body into a turn for a tighter turn. In short, apply the stronger side differences to the weaker side.

I hope what I said makes sense. Good luck with your continued practicing.