Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

Your opinions on leg curl

It's when she curls her toes that you know you got it right. ;)

A little off topic, but deadlifting scares the crap out of me. My form is perfect, but I'm just afraid because my lower back is so fragile. Any input?

Stengthen your lower back and then try them when you're not so worried.

So the final say would probably be, stay light with lots of reps on the leg curl.

Yes, if you want to be weak but have nice looking legs like a bodybuilder...

My lower back is strong, and I can deadlift a crapload of weight, I'm talking long term.....

If it really freaks you out, build a trap bar and deadlift that. A trap bar is like lifting two dumbells on either side of your feet. For that matter, what about using dumbells. You will have to start pretty light, say #100 or #125 probably due to grip strength, but there is much less chance of hurting your back.

Or you can just concentrate on your form on the deadlift. If you do it right, you will probably not get hurt. Or your can graduate to the more explosive movements like the clean or snatch. When your poundage gets too high on your cleans and you start to worry about your back again, graduate to the snatch. When that weight gets too high, write a book on weight training ;)

It's when she curls her toes that you know you got it right. ;)

Careful Chadd,

You are about to get a hijack to methods of causing toe curling... :D

I screwed up one of my knees really good on a leg extension machine once.  Took me 2 years to get it back into shape!  I was getting pretty cocky, was up to something like 230 lbs.  Then one day after not lifting for a while I was on the machine lifting away and whamo!  It was a combination of screwing up the tendons a little and abrading the cartilage.  It makes a funny scraping sound now, but at least it works again.

YUCK!!! Man I hate hearing stories like that. Did you have it cleaned out? What did you do to rehab it? How long were you out initially?? Glad you recovered, lots of folks never do.

Well, the doc said that he could go in there and scrape out the feathered stuff in the cartilage. But I decided to do without unless it didn't heal up, and eventually it got better. I did a lot of exercises to strengthen the knee, like

on a cable machine, set up a cable knee high, put a cuff behind the knee and pull the cable by straightening the knee

balancing on one foot

doing one legged body weight squats (the hardest, I could only go down about 2" at first)

Some isometrics while sitting.

Now I am back to hiking up mountains and stuff.