Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Grip leads to harder shots?

I was just reading up the Epuck Tps rubber description and it said that better grip on your stick will lead to better shots since the shaft doesnt twist within your glove. Is this true? Do you find that having Grip coating or Candy cane tape job to help your shot since you grip the shaft better? My shaft right now is VERY boxy and slippery in my glove, so I was wondering if doing the candy cane tape job would help me grip the stick better and to shoot better.

I don't know that I'd say harder shots but certainly more accurate if it doesn't slip in your hands.

in my personal experiances haveing grip on my sticks has made my shots harder and more accurate. and like chadd said it's just common sense, if the stick isn't slipping around than you will get more on your shot...

I find it improves both because it reduces slippage, where others find it difficult to get a quick shot off because there hand doesnt slide as easily along the stick.... I'm not one of them, but thats the main reason I know of that people don't use grip sticks.

I'd fire on a nice little Candy cane or Goo grip job on your stick and see how it goes, if you don't like it you can always take the tape off or whipe down your goo grip and have it like it used to be.

I use gloves with leather palms and I never have a problem with grip. I honestly believe Nash palms are the reason people need grip sticks.

I found that the rubber grip made me lose feel for the puck, same with a lot of tape wrapped around the shaft, so just like with composite blades, you're trading feel for a faster shot...

Grips sticks are a sort of compromise, I think. With the introduction of aluminum and composite shafts people had to invent a solution to the naturally tacky grip of wet leather and wood. The grip tends (IMO) to give the stick a better purchase with the glove allowing for more (slightly) velocity and accuracy with passing and shooting. The glove follows through with the stick better. However, the grip can limit the proficiency of sliding your top hand around on puck protection moves where you grip the middle of the shaft and the placement of the bottom hand on tight turns, etc. I haven't noticed any lack of feel between grip and non-grip composites, but I do find the surface of non-grip composites to be extemely slick. Candy caning a shaft works alright, but makes the gloves and shaft a bit gooey. Personally, I find that candy caning is an inadaquete compromise, and prefer a slight grip on my composites untill Louisville makes an XN10 Tri-core shaft.

I agree with Chadd, I used to use leather palms and my normal z-bubble was fine. Since I got nash palms its too slippery. What top end gloves are out there now with leather palms that I should look at?

Leather, goatskin and pittard digital are all good for grip. TPS does grip and I know eagle does goatskin. I think the vapor XX and XVs have digital patches on them as well

The Vapor XV gloves do have a bit of a textured palm, but I am not sure how much of a difference that would make. My old R2 that I was using was a great shaft, but I missed many an important one-timer because the shaft twisted out of my hands. The grip coating on the Vapor XV and Vapor XX sticks are just about perfect. They're not as intrusive as a TPS Rubber or the Easton grips, but they grip just enough so that your bottom hand does not allow the stick to twist while still allowing freedom to slide your hands up and down. In my opinion, if you are having trouble with the stick twisting like that try one of the Vapor shafts, if not, go the cheap route and get one of those hand squeeze work out things and just get stronger hands. Or else, just whack the weasel, it has the same effect. Heh.

Leather, goatskin and pittard digital are all good for grip. TPS does grip and I know eagle does goatskin. I think the vapor XX and XVs have digital patches on them as well

Really? I thought goatskin was more slippery like nash? Also, did you mean "TPS does digital..."?