Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

willy0314

Laura Stamm Power Skating Class

So im coming into my senior year of playing Div.III college club hockey, and i've decided to take a power skating class :angry:. I signed up for a laura stamm super clinic, 10 total hours on the ice, $250. The age group is 11-adult.

Im a little reserved about it, thinking im going to be out there with a bunch of kids half my age, but I was advised by some of my friends to take one, this is the only one around here, and I want to make the most of my last year playing contact hockey. I also have one of her books and it was a good read so I figure why not.

What do you guys think? at 22 do you think im too old to be doing it? Have any of you ever been through one of the super clinics? it should definatly help right?

Willy0314, do you live in or around the Buffalo area? I may do this class too, and the only place I know of it is in the Amherst Pepsi Center. I would definitely do this powerskating clinic. I may do it myslef. Who cares if you are older than everyone else? As long as it is just to brush up on some skills, why not give it a shot? I am definitely considering this camp to do in the off-season. I think it is not 11- Adult..... I think you would be with kids at high school level and up. Hope I helped :D

Im a little south of hamburg. It is the one at the pepsi center your talking about, August 14th-18th. I registered last night so hopefully things will go alright.

any body ever taken one of thse classes before?

Unless you're already a perfect skater, then lessons will never hurt no matter what age you are.

We don't pick things up as quickly as children do when they minds are most absorbent but it's better than nothing.

Also, the clinic is run by a proven instructor (or her program at least) so I think it's a good investment.

A friend of mine owns Planet Hockey and he's told me that he's given private lessons to NHLers, so it's obvious one can always improve different skills.

A friend of mine owns Planet Hockey and he's told me that he's given private lessons to NHLers, so it's obvious one can always improve different skills.

Who is your buddy? A guy who used to run the hockey at my rink worked for them. He was a stud.

Go for it man. You probably will be the only one over 18 but Laura Stamm usually has small class size so it's not like there's going to be a ton of people there.

22 would probably be a perfect age! You are young enough to still do the exercises, but you are old enough to actually listen and learn, and can comprehend some of the science of skating. Try teaching the same stuff to a 16 year old!!!

22 would probably be a perfect age! You are young enough to still do the exercises, but you are old enough to actually listen and learn, and can comprehend some of the science of skating. Try teaching the same stuff to a 16 year old!!!

it always depends if the 16yr old kid is interested to learn or not. I'M not going to be cocky but at 6'1, i've got powerful leg and my skating is my force so doing powerskating isn't worth it but doins a stickhandling clinic wouldn't be a refuse.

Doesn't care how old you are, if you want to learn,think about it, all the others guys want also to learn, so it doesn't matter how old you are, it is what you all have in common: the want of learning(le vouloir d'apprendre) sorry i don't know how to say it in english.

Age doesn't always equate to maturity, and that works in both directions. So I would refrain from stereotyping due to that until you are 100% sure you are correct.

Who is your buddy? A guy who used to run the hockey at my rink worked for them. He was a stud.

Shawn Killian started Planet Hockey about fifteen years ago. I took his course about five years ago and have become friends with him, since he lives in the Denver area.

it always depends if the 16yr old kid is interested to learn or not. I'M not going to be cocky but at 6'1, i've got powerful leg and my skating is my force so doing powerskating isn't worth it but doins a stickhandling clinic wouldn't be a refuse.

Worst attitude ever......If you want to keep playing at the highest level possible, you have to constantly work on your skating. Why do you think every NHL team has a skating coach, because there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

That being said, it doesn't matter what age you are when you start powerskating. I started doing it when I was 10, and was in the same clinic with 16 year old kids. You aren't competing against one another, so as long as your willing to absorb everything and repeat the drills after the clinic during free ice rather than jerk around with a puck you will see tremendous improvement.

While we are on the topic of power skating schools, if you are on the west coast, check out Robby Glantz. He has worked with most of the west coast NHL clubs.

Worst attitude ever......If you want to keep playing at the highest level possible, you have to constantly work on your skating. Why do you think every NHL team has a skating coach, because there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Maybe because they are paid 2 millions a season to do this!I mean my stickhandling suck, why not concentrate on my puck handling? As for the level,at 14, i played bantam AA(best level in Quebec) and i'm now Midget AA, one step lower than Midget AAA(where lecavalier,st-louis and all these stars played) as a second year midget only, So i think i'm still in the big league...

i know, i know going to the gym 3x time a week and shinny hockey 1-2x per weeks, that the best i can do!(for summer)And i'm playing hockey for fun, i love the competition but i don't dream about beeing a NHLer i'm realistic!LOLL!

Anyways, we are getting off topic.