Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guy Incognito

Roller vs. Ice

:( I have the same kinda problem, I'm to lazy to change or even rotate my outdoor wheels when i play indoors so i slide everywhere, it can make for some really cool slides though where you are basically sliding on the metal chassis and it lasts 5 metres or so, so not all bad.

i'm sorry but roller hockey isn't real hockey.......its like the flag football of hockey....but if you have no other options, than you do what you gotta do

Maybe we think Ice isnt real hockey. Actually, I dont, but its stupid to come onto a board full of people who play the sport, and bash on it!

Sometimes Ice hockey can get annoying because if youve got moves, people that dont, can just come in and knock your head off. ROLLER hockey requires skill all around. ANY body can hit, not everybody has perfect hands and agility. Roller hockey really only attracts the skilled players, not the average joe who can go out there and throw a shoulder around.

And dont get me wrong, I know all about Ice hockeys advantages too, but I cant let roller hockey keep getting bashed on!

Maybe some people think roller isnt real hockey. Actually, I dont, but its stupid to come onto a board full of people who play the sport, and bash on it!

"Sometimes Ice hockey can get annoying because if youve got moves, people that dont, can just come in and knock your head off."

If you've got the moves they can't hit you.

"ROLLER hockey requires skill all around."

so does ice, IMHO it requires more because you need to be very aware of where everyone is or you will get your head taken off.

"ANY body can hit, not everybody has perfect hands and agility."

I've seen guys that are lucky if they can hit the boards sliding on thier ass. Hitting CORRECTLY is a skill just like the rest of the game.

"Roller hockey really only attracts the skilled players, not the average joe who can go out there and throw a shoulder around."

I've seen alot of turds playing roller. The average joe in ice needs to do more than just through shoulders if he wants to play.

Although I am not a big roller fan I still appreciate the skill that is needed to play it.

If you've got the moves they can't hit you.

The people with the greatest moves, are the ones that try to do too much and almost always end up on the floor.

so does ice, IMHO it requires more because you need to be very aware of where everyone is or you will get your head taken off.

But if you have the moves, you wont get hit. :rolleyes:

I've seen alot of turds playing roller. The average joe in ice needs to do more than just through shoulders if he wants to play.

Thats because its much more available to average people. All you need is a pair of skates with wheels, a stick, puck or ball, and an open area. Its also way way way more affordable.

I agree, Roller and Ice are two different games, but to call either not "hockey" is completely absurd.

since were on the topic

im about to start playing ice hockey, any tips? i've been playing roller for almost 8n years now and hve no clue how to skate on ice.

thanks!

he people with the greatest moves, are the ones that try to do too much and almost always end up on the floor.

You havent seen the greatest players then. Guys can dangle around you in roller hockey. Ive seen the best defenders from all around get dangled. It happens.

And the guys with the greatest moves, normally dont try to do to much since they are smart, high level players.

what kind of roller surface you use? on asphalt(street) i'm alright playing roller hockey but i tried playing in an arena where the ice was melt and the surface was soo much ',slick'' i was sliding(and not rolling) all over the place, i couldn't not even turn nicely!

You went from outdoors to indoors roller? Bet you forgot to change wheels, hence the slipping. ;)

Ohh i didn't know you had to use different wheel setup. I live in Quebec, a ''country'', where the temperature can run for -15degree for 4 month long lollll. So ice is my realy hockey but i use CCM EDGE 4.1 roller hockey skate to play in front of my house,and i can do everything i do on ice(which mean i have no problem at all lol)

And 2 years ago, my friend, for his birthday, invited us at the local arena, but there was no ice, so we were playing roller hockey but it felt so slicky. this is why i was wondering!

since were on the topic

im about to start playing ice hockey, any tips? i've been playing roller for almost 8n years now and hve no clue how to skate on ice.

thanks!

I'd say the most important thing is to make sure you've got the right sharpening. A proper sharpening is like a good set of wheels, and can drastically affect your game. Ask around about where other ice hockey players sharpen their skates and who they trust them to. If the first time out your skates feel a bit awkward (if they seem to grip or grab the ice too much, or if they seem to slide too much, etc.), don't be afraid to relay that information to your sharpener, who will be able to adjust your sharpening.

When I started playing Ice, I had been playing roller for abour 9 years. It took me a few sessions to get used to the faster game (I had been playing outdoor roller only) and the heavier puck. I was able to effectively play defense, however, as I simply relied on my knowledge of the game and played sound positionally. As time passed my confidence grew, and soon I was as comfortable on Ice as when playing roller. Ice - even playing open hockey- improved my roller game drastically, as the faster game allowed me to see the game better, as well as further develop my stickhandling and shooting due to using the heavier puck.

I love playing both, roller in the summer, ice in the winter. The big difference is the 4-on-4 in roller versus 5-on-5 in ice hockey. Because ice hockey is more "crowded", you need to think a bit quicker and be quicker at making decisions when you have the puck since an opponent is usually on you faster. It also means you have less time to be "fancy" with the puck as in the wide open roller game. So from my own experience, quick thinking is one skill that's required a little more in ice hockey because of the 5-on-5.

Okay, here's the definitive word on why inline must be better: Could you do this on ice skates?

link

It might have been possible during the ice storm in Montreal some years back!

He means they could have done that roller hockey video on ice skates during "The ice storm" where presumerabley(sp?) you would have been able to skate on the roads etc.

Correct, pantherfan.

And BTW cobrAA, you must be pretty young if you don't remember that we did have a roller team named the Montreal Road Runners?

The Roadrunner himself, Yvan Cournoyer coached the team one year.

I went to see a couple of games and the action was really good... full contact, too.

since were on the topic

thanks!

I'd say the most important thing is to make sure you've got the right sharpening. A proper sharpening is like a good set of wheels, and can drastically affect your game. Ask around about where other ice hockey players sharpen their skates and who they trust them to. If the first time out your skates feel a bit awkward (if they seem to grip or grab the ice too much, or if they seem to slide too much, etc.), don't be afraid to relay that information to your sharpener, who will be able to adjust your sharpening.

When I started playing Ice, I had been playing roller for abour 9 years. It took me a few sessions to get used to the faster game (I had been playing outdoor roller only) and the heavier puck. I was able to effectively play defense, however, as I simply relied on my knowledge of the game and played sound positionally. As time passed my confidence grew, and soon I was as comfortable on Ice as when playing roller. Ice - even playing open hockey- improved my roller game drastically, as the faster game allowed me to see the game better, as well as further develop my stickhandling and shooting due to using the heavier puck.

thanks Damnlocust... I'll remember that.