Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juice_Slowjamz

Malkin Heads To The States.

I wonder if this situation mimics how the Wings got Fedorov into the U.S. If I remember correctly, it was a real quick, hush-hush maneuver, in which Wings personnel met with Sergei (I think it was during one of the international tourneys) at his hotel room. He took all his belongings and left with them that night, and the rest is history. I doubt Malkin's situation would have happened exactly the same way but maybe something similar. After all, the U.S.S.R. had not collapsed yet when Fedorov left. His consequences would have been much worse.

Dave King, his coach in Russia, believes he is already in Pittsburgh. Maybe sharing a room with Crosby at the Mario residence?

Since he left prior to turning in his notice, wouldn't he most likely already be in breech of contract? I would think that withholding services during the two weeks isn't acceptable but I obviously am not an expert on Russian labor regulations.

Besides watch Chadd said what will his Russian team put against him to have a court in the U.S. say he must play for his Russian team until his contract runs out.

...I would think that withholding services during the two weeks isn't acceptable...

As you say, we are not experts on Russian Labour Law...but if NHL teams aren't in Official Team training camps yet...is it fair to think that the Russian Superleague teams aren't either...He may not be withholding anything if the team isn't conducting any official camps or training sessions...

As long as his 2 weeks notice is 2 weeks prior to camp starting...I'd think he's free and clear...(as long as responsibilities to the team are concerned).

Now, that's not to say Malkin won't be paying SOMEONE in Russia a LOT of money next year.

...I would think that withholding services during the two weeks isn't acceptable...

As you say, we are not experts on Russian Labour Law...but if NHL teams aren't in Official Team training camps yet...is it fair to think that the Russian Superleague teams aren't either...He may not be withholding anything if the team isn't conducting any official camps or training sessions...

As long as his 2 weeks notice is 2 weeks prior to camp starting...I'd think he's free and clear...(as long as responsibilities to the team are concerned).

Now, that's not to say Malkin won't be paying SOMEONE in Russia a LOT of money next year.

The fact he signed a new contract a week ago may be an issue against him as well. This is going to end up in court and someone is going to end up making money off of it. Either the team or at least some lawyers.

The fact he signed a new contract a week ago may be an issue against him as well. This is going to end up in court and someone is going to end up making money off of it. Either the team or at least some lawyers.

I was under the impression that any 1 year contract has a 2 week notice clause....why would the team re-negociate him from 2 year deal did that clause becomes a factor....they had to know he'd use it.

Do you guys honestly believe this two-week-rule does apply for professional athletes that cost a lot of money in development or transfer fees? Just a thought.... I heard stuff about this clause in regular jobs where people where "sponsored" by their employer in a sense that they were sent to schoolings, camps, seminars, trainings, ect. If they leave on this 2 week rule shortly thereafter they might be brought to court and may be sentenced to pay all or part of the money back. No joke...I´ve read it in a highly regarded news magazine when they reported about gasprom , a big russian oil company and their management. So by any means if Malkin leaves like that they will sue him for money. Sound just logical to me. They might not have a chance to sue the pens in a US court but over in russia I´m pretty sure they will be able to sue malkin so he might end up having to pay them.

Do you guys honestly believe this two-week-rule does apply for professional athletes...

from the tsn.ca article:

Dave King told the FAN 590 in Toronto on Wednesday morning that a fax was received by the team that indicated Malkin was exercising his "two-week window rights" to resign. Russian law allows any employee to leave an employer, even while under contract, simply by giving two weeks notice.

I guess Russian Labour Law doesn't treat Pro sports any differently than any other profession.

Do you guys honestly believe this two-week-rule does apply for professional athletes...

from the tsn.ca article:

Dave King told the FAN 590 in Toronto on Wednesday morning that a fax was received by the team that indicated Malkin was exercising his "two-week window rights" to resign. Russian law allows any employee to leave an employer, even while under contract, simply by giving two weeks notice.

I guess Russian Labour Law doesn't treat Pro sports any differently than any other profession.

I´ve read the article but I can hardly beleive it.

If from what Ive read in these articles is somewhat correct Id think by giving two weeks notice he would just forfeit the contract and have to return any money paid to him to the team. Im no expert on Russian labour laws either so who knows but professional sports is just a job like working anywhere else, a team is paying/employing you for your services, no different then McDonalds paying you for your service. The money could be made in the NHL-IIHF transfer deal that Russia has yet to sign. But if he defected the country and wasnt transferred by the Russians I dont know if that would apply. Could also mean he wont be allowed back into Russia and may not be available for their National teams? Seems all so confusing to me, why was non of this a factor with Ovechkin?

To give you another example. In europe it´s far more common to "trade" players for cash rather than player for player and there is no draft either as you know. You get players either out of your own junior system, via the free agent market or by buying them off of other teams. Now my example is rather soccer based but I guess it holds it´s point in hockey as well. Let´s say player X plays for team A. Team B would like his services. Now they either have to wait until his contract runs out, the other team cancels the contract or they offer money to buy him. That is common practice all over europe and in russia as well. Now if this whole two week thing is legit what is likely to happen? Player X giving 2 week notice and leaving to team B, right? There´d be no more transfers for money nescessary at all, right? Now why did I never hear a story like this before? And why do all russian teams still invest lots of money in their junior systems and make huge losses if they could just let some of the other teams develope the the players and get them basically for free after that? I just don´t see it applying to sports. But again....it´s just a thought....I´m no russian labour expert either.

Could also mean he wont be allowed back into Russia and may not be available for their National teams? Seems all so confusing to me, why was non of this a factor with Ovechkin?
Russian national team coach Vyacheslav Bykov has already told the Russian newspaper Sport-Express that Malkin would still be welcome to play for his country.

Hockeybuzz? Although Malkin might make Habs fans happy, they won't be able to contend with the Leafs. I mean with Nassy, Foppa, Sundin, Carter, Leetch, Chara, Redden, Kaberle, Kubina, Samsonov and Elias all on Toronto who really could?

God, I love Eklund.

Why would the Kings let him work out with some of their players? Does Gretz just wanna skate on the same sheet of ice with this kid much like he did with Crosby or what? Shouldn't he be brought to Pittsburgh as quick as they can to meet up with the coaching staff and such?

I dont think the Penguins want to deal with him right now because it will look like they stole him. Right now it looks like he defected on his own terms although we know his agents brought him over and we know his agents are talking to the Pens. Im sure the Pens would much rather have him skate in LA while they work things out and then when the waters are cleared they bring him over. Right now the Pens cannot be held accountable for his actions because they werent 'really' involved with his immigration and I think they would like to keep it that way.