Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Quick training question

There should be. I know you can buy them on VHS. I have like 3 movies on improving strides and skating faster with good technique.

I also bought a pack of movies that shows you important basics on each position you play. (offense, defense, goalie)

then i also bought a ultimate hits! :P

I think I skate faster, or at least accelerate better, when I don't recover the stride leg fully (almost touching the other skate), but only to about hip width. I think, for me, going from body centre to hip width doesn't add power.

Everyone has their own body preferences, depending on how your joints are formed, if there are any muscle imbalances between inner and outer leg muscles, genetics, etc. My thinking is that when you walk down the street, if your feet automatically brush close together, then that is the way you should start your stride. If your feet naturally stay shoulder width apart, that is how you should start your stride.

If your body wants to start off with shoulder width apart feet, and you force them to touch at the start of the stride, then all sorts of twisting of joints/cartilage/ligaments is going on, and that is bad for the long term health of the body, and probably robs power. Sure, you might get an inch or so more stride length TECHNICALLY, but it is not worth the price.

There is also the issue of puck possession while you are skating. If you naturally get better balance at the start of your stride with your feet further apart, then it is harder for someone to knock you down and steal the puck!

Now, with all that said, you can see some players that skate with their feet so wide apart at the start of the stride that you know they should work on getting them a little closer.

OK, another stupid question, didn't want to start a new thread.

I saw someone at the gym on saturday, and he was walking on the treadmill, but he was walking sideways, like he was crossing over.

I was curious, so asked him. He said he does it to develop the muscles used for crossing over, but also for balance, you start slowly, and with your hand on the bar, then move up a little and remove your hand, so you are constantly moving in the crossover motion, and have to force yourself to balance.

Does that sound like a good way to exercise both balance and skating muscles.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but I have only properly started training in the past month, and would like to gear my sessions toward hockey, but in a balanced way, if that makes sense