Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

USAH video

I haven't watched the video yet (my refs seminar is next week), but I've read the USA documentation. Myself and another ref implemented the new rules last week during the summer league. Its an A/B/C mix, with an emphasis on C, so its very slow and non-aggressive. Still, it was good practice. Overall we found ourselves only calling 4 and 6 penalties a game, which isn't a dramatic increase. I think this is due to the skill level and also the timidness of the players after we explained the new rules to them. I'm not exactly excited to introduce this to the A league in the Fall league. Those guys are going to shit bricks when they get called for "weak" penalties.

I watched the local B championship last week and I counted 35 that could have been called in a period and a half. Our new season starts on Tuesday, we'll see how it goes.

This video is a good resource for anyone involved in the game, not just referees. It's a tool for any players/coaches playing in a USAH sanctioned league that will allow for a better quality game. I think the game should have been called this way in the first place. I'm just worried that the refs in my leagues won't want to be bothered with making the calls that are going to be argued . It seems like most of them just want to get games over with as soon as possible so they can go home.

Kosy, I know it's a long shot, but perhaps the video could either be distributed or it could be shown to the players somehow before the season. Is the video up on the USAH site? This would make it a lot easier. When a player takes issue with a call, you can direct them to the video that they should have watched at the beginning of the season.

I was wondering, does anyone know if the new standards be put in place for inline hockey as well?

That's why I posted the link here.

Inline is an afterthought to USAH and last I heard they didn't even do a seminar for inline officials.

I know that in our league there will be a meeting with all the team captains from the different divisons and our refs association to discuss the new rules. I'd just assume the video will be showed. If not I don't see why our association won't set up a screening. The more dialog between the players and the refs, the smoother the transition will go. The problem I forsee is that most players won't care enough to watch the video. Most adult league players are assholes, anyway.

I know that in our league there will be a meeting with all the team captains from the different divisons and our refs association to discuss the new rules.  I'd just assume the video will be showed.  If not I don't see why our association won't set up a screening.  The more dialog between the players and the refs, the smoother the transition will go.  The problem I forsee is that most players won't care enough to watch the video.  Most adult league players are assholes, anyway.

I think that team captains will have to be responsible for their players. A captain SHOULD (key word here, I know) have some authority over his team. One way to keep the asses in check is to not be shy about giving misconducts/ ejections/ suspensions. Too many refs will take the shit that players throw at them because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a jerk. Sooner or later, they'll realize that $400+ is a lot of money to spend to sit in the penalty box or the locker room.

Too many refs abuse misconducts and ejections around here. If a player shows up with an attitude problem he gets tossed. If the ref shows up with an attitude problem, a player gets tossed. Not really fair is it?

I don't see it happening too often around here. Especially in my inline league. the refs are all young and are kinda just there to hang out and make some cash. A teammate of mine did get kicked out of an ice game for calling a ref something I won't repeat.

If it comes down to a ref with an attitude problem, all of the players know who that ref is, and I'm sure that the other refs know it too. (I'm sure you've had to back up ref partners who you felt were in the wrong before). If the league was notified about those refs, and actially did something about it, a lot of problems could be taken care of.

I've definitely seen refs go on power trips, talking smack to players in the box - and then having pucks shot at them.

My team had to watch that during our camp. Still had 15 our so penalties called against us in our next game. I'm not sure if that was the amount, but it was enough to get our coach suspended for next game.

My team had to watch that during our camp. Still had 15 our so penalties called against us in our next game. I'm not sure if that was the amount, but it was enough to get our coach suspended for next game.

That's going to happen a lot at the start of the season.

Thanks Chadd... my daughter found it very useful to see it rather than just read about it ... forwarded it to her coach who has now sent it on to other people...

Thanks Chadd... my daughter found it very useful to see it rather than just read about it ... forwarded it to her coach who has now sent it on to other people...

Hockey Canada is a little different. When I get home from NC, I'll dig up the HC version for you.

Hockey Canada is a little different. When I get home from NC, I'll dig up the HC version for you.

Wow Chadd, that would be great - and thanks for the extra effort to try to find the "Canadian Content".... much appreciated!

Wow Chadd, that would be great - and thanks for the extra effort to try to find the "Canadian Content".... much appreciated!

I spend too much time on the internet and remember way too much meaningless stuff.

http://odharefs.com/Video/ref_video.html

I spend too much time on the internet and remember way too much meaningless stuff.

http://odharefs.com/Video/ref_video.html

Ahh Chadd, you are a veritable abyss of inconsequentia... and I am thankful for it & benefit by it.

Thanks much!

I haven't yet been to my seminar for the upcoming season, but our local adult league coordinators have instructed us officials to call it by the new "standards." I've found that the players quickly adapt. The first period is usually full of penalties and by the 3rd there are significantly less.

One of the league coordinators said to me: "My A-league guys might as well all just quit." I ref'd one A-league game over the summer and that was plenty for me. Those guys played like a 2002 NHL game(obviously not skill level). All hooking and holding, then utter shock when I actually called a penalty.

I'm interested to see how it's going to affect the youth leagues. I hear coaches all the time yelling from the bench "tie him up," especially on faceoffs. Hopefully they'll stop teaching their players this way and help them stay out of the box.

PS: The video is up now on www.usahockey.com

the USAH video really points out a LOT of mistakes the refs at that first tournament we played made.

Mainly the referees made calls that should be void if going for the puck.

Yea, they're showing this at all the coaching clinics now and sending it to all coaches. The theory is that the coaches will then coach/relay it to their players, changing the game for the better. It sounds like it should work based on how the refs are consistently making the calls now. And hopefully the refs will be monitored in some way as well. If they're not making calls, or if they're playing sides, then they're not doing their job and should be off the ice. I'm sure coaches/players will get the message after the first couple games with dozens of penalties...I think this will up the speed of the game, and of course the quality of plays and players on the ice. Now the guy who puts in extra days each week training his legs can really shine against the goons who rely solely on hooking/slashing, and we'll see how many of the lazy/big/slow ones last with the new rules