Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbyun04

Ankle Sprain Question

I sprained my ankle last week trying to go inside out on the d and he cut me off and the ice was bad so the result was i landed on my ankle. I did do a search but I just have a question about sprains, when walking the pain comes about 80% from the outside bone that sticks out on the left foot on the little toe's side, is that a normal for a sprain? I haven't been able to get it checked out yet but I thought I'd ask here. Oh I have been getting accupuncture everyday if that makes matters.

When I sprained mine I had the same pain. I think your fine :)

how long before it healed? my brother who sprained his ankles several times said to keep stretching it and it'll heal better

If you get a bad sprain, the pain can still be there. Most cases, a week or two and the pain will subside. I've had pain last up to 3 months after, and a buddy of mine playing NCAA had a sprained ankle that wasn't 100% for like 6 months.

how long before it healed? my brother who sprained his ankles several times said to keep stretching it and it'll heal better

I was taught that a sprain is one of the only things that "walking it off" will help. If you keep your muscles streched, there wont be as much pain.

If you have any sort of pain stay off it.

Never try to "walk off" an ankle injury. A mildly sprained ankle can rupture ankle ligaments if it is not properly rested.

Talking from experience.

Once the pain is gone strengthen the muscles in your ankle with exercises you can find on the web.

It seems like a armless injury but if you do what I did which was to ignore it...well I ended up streching all the ligaments and then tearing them to the point that the fibers could no longer reconnect.

4 years and a surgery later I'm still in constant pain. I love the game so much I'll play through anything. But if i could go back I would have taken 3 days off and I would have been fine.

The accupuncture can't hurt but it's the time more than anything and not the needles that are doing the healing.

Stay off your ankle...Don't put any weight on it until you feel pain.

Ice, keep elevated and apply pressure through bandages if it recurs

Good luck.

hmm thanks for the info

yeah accupuncture only allows more blood to flow, it won't heal it I know that much but it will help the speed of the healing.

For future reference: The swelling is more than half the injury. So if you can stop the swelling, you will heal twice as fast. You have to wrap it with an ace bandage, and ice it down ASAP!, like before you leave the rink. Alleve will help keep the swelling down.

After that, it is all about rehab. Some sprains are minor inflamations, some major inflamations, some have torn bits that need a doctor to mend.

Basically, you start walking straight line, trying to balance on it, etc. If it hurts, stop. Ice it down after.

You progress to jogging straight line. If it hurts, stop. Ice it down after.

You then progress to doing some lateral easy stuff, then onto more serious cuts, some plyo,.

It is not unusual to take 6 weeks before you can play hockey seriously again.

For future reference: The swelling is more than half the injury. So if you can stop the swelling, you will heal twice as fast. You have to wrap it with an ace bandage, and ice it down ASAP!, like before you leave the rink. Alleve will help keep the swelling down.

After that, it is all about rehab. Some sprains are minor inflamations, some major inflamations, some have torn bits that need a doctor to mend.

Basically, you start walking straight line, trying to balance on it, etc. If it hurts, stop. Ice it down after.

You progress to jogging straight line. If it hurts, stop. Ice it down after.

You then progress to doing some lateral easy stuff, then onto more serious cuts, some plyo,.

It is not unusual to take 6 weeks before you can play hockey seriously again.

good to know

when i sprained it it swelled up to the size of like a tennis ball but now the swelling has gone down enough so that I can wear shoes again and i'm finally starting to see signs of my foot shape returning.

If you can see a physical therapist!

For future reference:

1. Don't keep playing the game. It will make it worse, even if you feel better after walking it off

2. Don't take your skate off until you have ice ready to put on it.

3. Ice it in 20 minute intervals (don't get frostbite!) for as long as you can till you go to bed.

4. Compression with an Ace bandage when not icing. (sock and hockey tape if that's all you got) but not so tight it stops blood flow.

5. Rest it.

6. Elevate it.

See a DR!

Physical therapy is your quickest road to healing and rehabilitation.

A bad sprain can be worse than a break in terms of healing time. Only a trained professional can give you an accurate diagnosis.

A bad sprain can be worse than a break in terms of healing time. Only a trained professional can give you an accurate diagnosis.

havne't been able to get to a therapist yet... but instead of making a new topic, it's been 5 or 6 weeks now and the pain is significantly gone, foots back to normal except the bone that sticks out on the left side of my left foot is still the size of a tennis ball.. I'm trying to get to a therapist but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew why that is