Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

So, what should I be aware of when skating in

I don't know if this should be in this section or equipment, but just a question.

I changed from CCM Tacks (which are too shallow for me) to bauer Supreme30's.

The boot feels infinately better on my foot, so tomorrow morning is my first skate, at a stick and puck session.

I am a novice skater, so don't want to confuse problems that are common from changing skates with actual skating problems, if that makes sense.

Is there any big differences in terms of pitch or such that will probably surface with the changeover in brands.

This may be the stupidest question of all time, so I apologize in advance for sounding like a muppet

Just don't think about it, just go out there and skate. They may feel a little different at first, maybe a little out of control, but it will come. I just jumped from the Flexlite into the 9K and I was fine in them after the first skate. The less you think about it the easier the transition.

I just switched from CCMs to Bauers, too, and I felt like I was more on my heels. I knew I would fall a few (dozen) times when I tried them at a public skate, but I just forced myself to do all the turns, stops, pivots, and backwards skating moves until I was used to them. Same as forbs, it took 1 good skate.

Knee and elbow pads helped a lot.

Same here. Went from CCM 652Tacks to Nike Flexlites. I noticed the heel down feeling but after a couple of skates its all good. I do like the change in radius - 11' on the CCM and 9' on the Nikes if I am correct - it allows for a quicker change in direction and I didn't notice any stability problems. I think it actually helped out a little on the front to back transitions.

Thanks for the tips guys, as for the knee and elbow pads, as I am still just beyond beginner level, I wear full gear to stick and puck, find it easier to commit to trying things (although my ass would sometimes disagree as it hits the ground)

Well, after my first skate in them on saturday, for just over an hour, I felt infinitely more stable and confident that I ever did in tacks (which I was misfit in).

One of the guys there, who could see I was not a great skater gave me some excellent tips also on how to stay low, not to stand up in my stride, and to keep skating with a puck, not just skate to skate.

I think the bauer shape is really really good for my foot. I did notice I was not leaning as much, though whether it was the skates or the tips I received, I don't know.

It was also my first time out in the new Itech 8000 pants, and they are fantastic, pretty snug compared to the old bauer 1000 I had, but great protection for the price, and good tailbone protection (something I need).

Also my first pants with zippers on the legs, was nice to be able to lace up the skates, then put on the britches!!