Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Webster

Shooting problem

hey

I'm having problems when slapping a puck, I get the power but just not the lift, even how much i try moving my wrists I can't seem to get it lifted.

can anyone recommend a curve which could help me? or maybe some tips.

Thanks

hey

I'm having problems when slapping a puck, I get the power but just not the lift, even how much i try moving my wrists I can't seem to get it lifted.

can anyone recommend a curve which could help me? or maybe some tips.

Thanks

it's most likely bad form, not your curve. i spent a long time blaming the curve for that problem.

Too much wrist movement is bad. Shooting on roller surfaces is a bit different than from ice, also. When taking a slapshot, I use the whole body, from the legs through the wrists. At first, just practice that. Take your time, do it slow. Wind up (only needs to be up to the shoulder level, maximum) and follow through with the whole body, hitting the puck 2-6 inches behind the puck, ending up with your stick perpendicular to the target, or in other words, pointing at it. Curving the blade over after a shot is overrated, sometimes it is only a small movement, but with some blade curves, it is a larger hooking motion.

If you're just beginning, start with a flatter curve, something like a Forsberg or Hossa, Modano, etc. Later on, the Iginia or Lindros, and if you're a hardcore shooting defensemen (not me, I tend to skate the puck in) then you can get something nasty like a Lindstrom or Pronger.

Hope this helps.

Atl, I'd kinda think it'd be the other way around. bigger curves can act as a crutch for a shooter. Also, when moving from a small curve to a larger or more open curve, I find that I can't help but hit glass with all of my shots. Modano and clones is my curve of choice, and when I've tried using sakic and lidstrom, it's just too much curve and I have a hard time hitting the net, and especially keeping the puck low.

As my shot has gotten better over the years, I find myself using less and less curve because I don't need the blade to do the work for me anymore.

I turn the stick over a little in my hands before striking the puck. But the above complete body form is the best advice on this board, esp the follow through. I would add to the advice; a little knee bend to give you some extra spring in your legs through the complete body motion. Finally the follow through as ATL explained is great advice

Most of the previous advice is good. My two bits to add are this, I have used a range of curves starting with extreme open faces such as the Lecavalier and Lidstrom all the way down to the Modano and Stuart. I find that if you want a slapshot high, use an open face (wedge). If you want it deadly accurate, get the feel down on open faces then go to closed faces like the Modano and the Stuart. This is what I did and I have managed to be very accurate with the closed face.

The Pronger is sick, and I prefer toe-curves, but it's still very nice.

If I played D that would be my choice for sure (PP)

Amazing for slappers & passes, but I snipe better with a toe-curve in front of the goal.

how far is the puck from your body?are you useing more arm for your shot and smacking the puck or getting your body over the puck and useing you upper body.think about your form.your upper body torso plays a big part in a slap shot.

ok ,

I had a little time at training today to work on my technique , and i got the hang of it but I couldnt get height on it everytime, my coach did say to me if me gloves fitted properly but seeing that i was a goalie in roller previously i didnt really know , i'm wearing 15" mission H350 and i have really small hands but they are thick, could this be leading to some problems also?

Thanks

I second that knee bending; it makes shots a whole lot more acurate and powerful. Gloves may be a problem if say you really have tiny hands and are using size 15 or 16 gloves. I'm about 5'8" and I wear a 14 inch glove. However, I don't think it's a really big problem. I do notice that changing from one kind of glove to another changes the feel of shooting, though.

Just keep following through. If you've got time, just think about the physics behind shooting. An object in motion stays in motion and follows the direction of the force (that's intertia). So if you swing your stick forwards, it goes forwards. Now, if your blade follows through to the place you want the puck to go, the puck should be going in that direction. By contacting the puck at an angle or by following through at an angle, you can determine the direction and placement of your shot. It's best to contact the puck between the center and the heel of the blade so that it has a place to "hang on to" and then "roll off of" when you follow through.

It's all in the follow through. You don't really even need a big wind-up, you can even start with your blade at the height of your ankles and still get a good shot.

And yes, practice really does make perfect on this.

Using your knees will help get more power, and the follow through will help with accuracy. I've been told to roll my wrist over on my follow through, and it only screws up my shot. You don't want to hit too much ground, otherwise you'll get a lame shot. You want to puck to roll of the blade (as ATLstealth09 said). Some think that you have to wind up and hit the puck really hard. All you need is a relaxed swing and good technique. Hope that helps :)

Btw, this thread helped with my shot. Thanks guys :)

No problem Smitty that's what this site is for. And yeah I agree also with your statement about the wrist rolling. The wrist rolling is exaggerated by a lot of people. There really isn't that much of a roll, it's more of a 25-45 degree flick of the wrist at the end for good measure. It helps with placement and height of the shot.

As a coach I encounter allot of kids that want to slap shot but cannot get the lift. Sometimes it can be curve, but generally its just practice. I maintain to the kids that I love my curve (CCM - Recchi) for a slapper but that any curve no matter what can slap the puck into the top corner. All it takes is practice! I personally love to get the kids to practice their "snap" timing by hitting the puck against the boards, when the puck comes back try and one time Snap Shot it at a particular spot on the boards. Allot of kids take only 10-15 mins to get the hang out it. After that I tell them to keep practicing and they'll be able to do it on request. Worked well with one of our new lads who just couldn't seem to snap at all.

My shots have no problem with lift. My problem is I can't keep my shots down! I hack at the puck, sucker goes a foot over the net.

Lower you follow through to about waist height, it should help. Iused to shoot way under, then I went way over. Finally, after adjusting the many people's instruction, I've found my own way. That's what you do, you just try new things. It makes you a better player, not only in regards to shooting a slapshot, but moves, skating style, even as simple as how you carry the puck up the floor.

But again, it's all in the follow through, so get that down and you should be good. And don't hack at it. Sounds like you're just taking a good ol' chip shot. Contact the puck with a flat blade face.