Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riotgear

ok here it is... breaking in the wickeds 101

after becoming completely fed up with the pain and time needed to break in the mission wicked 1's i decided to try a few things to my skate in my shop today... this is gonna sound pretty retarded and time consuming, but it was the magic touch, and i finally got to use the skates how i wanted to this evening.

1. put the boots on and lace the heck outta them and find out where the pain/discomfort is occuring.

2. mark the area on the inside of the boot with a pen.

3. mount the boot (1 boot at a time) on a skate pounder machine.

*skate pounder machine = the name i gave this thing in my shop. it's the little machine with a ball on the bottom and a round cup-like apparatus on a crank that is used to help form hard to break in areas in the boot. i'll add a picture when i can find one.

4. apply pressure with the ball in the marked area of discomfort inside the boot.

5. let stand for about 5 minutes.

6. repeat process with any more marks you may have made in the boot.

7. bake the boot for 5 minutes directly after taking it off the skate pounder.

8. after the boot has been baked put it on and tighten the heck out of it.

9. leave it on for about 15-20 min

10. repeat process with the next boot if needed.

by doing this, i completely fixed the problem with ankle bite AND where the blisters were rubbing the worst.

I was about to just put my wickeds up for sale on here today because i was so fed up with them, but i did this and it worked so i figured others may need the info. The skates are great now that the pain and discomfort are gone. i'm looking forward to some upcoming tournaments with them, and the addition of my sprung chassis i will be mounting sometime next week.

:)

For someone who has never heard of this machine or method, is there a way to just replicate the effect using normal tools found in a shed? Hammers, screwdrivers etc.

you can do the same thing with some other tools. the parts that will come in contact with your boot must be soft though. and you'll need a system of clamping it to your boot to provide constant pressure. i'll put up pics later

I was actually at a lhs yesterday, and a customer was questioning one of the reps if he could do this himself at home. The rep kindly said "Well to assure the quality of your boot, and the overall integrity of the finished product- it would be best to have it done at the shop."

he was reluctant, but left the skates... when he left the store, they shared with me that, that particular customer tried to bake his skates at home, ruined them, and fought tooth & nail for a new pair.

so my 2 cents is, leave the work to the professionals... they're not all trying to rake you over the coals. I think people get accustomed to salespeople at local Best Buys, or even (cringe) car dealerships... and get that perception that sales people are trying to milk money out of them

I was actually at a lhs yesterday, and a customer was questioning one of the reps if he could do this himself at home. The rep kindly said "Well to assure the quality of your boot, and the overall integrity of the finished product- it would be best to have it done at the shop."

he was reluctant, but left the skates... when he left the store, they shared with me that, that particular customer tried to bake his skates at home, ruined them, and fought tooth & nail for a new pair.

so my 2 cents is, leave the work to the professionals... they're not all trying to rake you over the coals. I think people get accustomed to salespeople at local Best Buys, or even (cringe) car dealerships... and get that perception that sales people are trying to milk money out of them

I wouldn't generalize. Some do in fact do that. Caveat emptor.

I wouldn't generalize. Some do in fact do that. Caveat emptor.

agreed.. me neither, but a lot of people will sit there and tell even fellow consumers in the shop "they just want to get more money out of me"

I might need to get them punched...I have shiners on my ankles! Deep bruises. I have never had this happen to me before.

And just to return once more to caveman expediency, most sizes of ball bean hammer work good at the ankles and around the foot bead where ever you can wedge them in. Like with epoxy, wide clear tape can keep the pressure on pretty good for long enough...usually.

The smoothe butt of a screwdriver can be used to "form the inside" closer to your foot shape.

There's various tools in your "Everytoolevermade" tool box that can be used to make perminent dents in the inside of your boots. Beats making em with the bumps on your feet.

basically a spot punch takes the place of your ankle bone in the boot forming process. you punch a small rounded divit where your ankle would be in the boot, and it's like breaking in that specific area without the time and pain of just skating to break the boot in. you could use it anywhere in the boot though. it doesnt have to be just where the ankle bone comes in contact with the moulding