Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnipeeMacgee

My Skate are too sharp!

We respond to every email that makes it to our inbox, every day except Sunday, we are closed Sundays. If you email after 7pm, it won't be answered till the next day. I just looked at all emails in the last 4 days and every one was answered. So whomever you are, try again, or if you are in a hurry like most folks, you can always call. ;) Keep in mind, we are NOT Hockey Monkey, or Hockey Giant, we are a busy retail store who only got into doing internet sharpenings because people begged us for help. We do our best to reply quickly, but when we are sharpening 20 skates per hour, sometimes it's just hard to get to the keyboard.

Understood, didn't know what type of operation you run so that's why I asked. Thanks for the post.

Yea, we're just a mom & pop, not really an internet business. We do our best. Have had QUITE a few problems with our ISP, and email goes down 2-3 times a day. Adelphia sucks, hopefully COMCAST will improve things when they take over.

Just to add my two cents, I play twice a week and probably sharpen my skates 6 times a season, more if I get chips in the blade. I was always taught in skating to use your ankles to edge better. That's probably why I have always skated on duller blades.

I had my skates done at a rink once that had a new Maximum Edge setup. The tech told me my edges weren't level using a level gauge. He then crossgrinded them and gave them a 1/2" hollow. These were the sharpest edges I ever had, I almost killed myself the first time on the ice. I had to take a stone to them and take some edge off. My usual LHS guy sharpens my skates at 3/8" and they are perfect... go figure. Is there a difference in stones or technique with Maximum Edge that would make them so sharp, or was it the crossgrinding?

Just to add my two cents, I play twice a week and probably sharpen my skates 6 times a season, more if I get chips in the blade. I was always taught in skating to use your ankles to edge better. That's probably why I have always skated on duller blades.

I had my skates done at a rink once that had a new Maximum Edge setup. The tech told me my edges weren't level using a level gauge. He then crossgrinded them and gave them a 1/2" hollow. These were the sharpest edges I ever had, I almost killed myself the first time on the ice. I had to take a stone to them and take some edge off. My usual LHS guy sharpens my skates at 3/8" and they are perfect... go figure. Is there a difference in stones or technique with Maximum Edge that would make them so sharp, or was it the crossgrinding?

1/2 is not sharper then 3/8

First, "Maximum Edge" is nothing special. Any good sharpener will use techniques and steps to ensure a good sharpening. A 80 grit stone on one machine is the same as a 80 grit stone on another. Based on what you say, either your sharpener wasn't doing 3/8ths, or wasn't doing 3/8th correctly, or the Maxium Edge guy, didn't do 1/2. There is no way 1/2 will feel sharper than 3/8 if both are done correctly. Oh yea, and by the way, a skate that has been skated on several hours will NOT have level edges when taken to a sharpener. The edges wear uneven normally, depending on the skater, e.g, if you always start your stride with your left foot, the inside edge of that skate will wear down quicker. Any sakte brought into a skarpener should have unven edges.

Crossgrinding has nothing to do with the sharpeneing.

Just to add my two cents,  I play twice a week and probably sharpen my skates 6 times a season, more if I get chips in the blade.  I was always taught in skating to use your ankles to edge better.  That's probably why I have always skated on duller blades.

I had my skates done at a rink once that had a new Maximum Edge setup.  The tech told me my edges weren't level using a level gauge.  He then crossgrinded them and gave them a 1/2" hollow.  These were the sharpest edges I ever had, I almost killed myself the first time on the ice.  I had to take a stone to them and take some edge off.  My usual LHS guy sharpens my skates at 3/8" and they are perfect... go figure.  Is there a difference in stones or technique with Maximum Edge that would make them so sharp, or was it the crossgrinding?

First, "Maximum Edge" is nothing special. Any good sharpener will use techniques and steps to ensure a good sharpening. A 80 grit stone on one machine is the same as a 80 grit stone on another. Based on what you say, either your sharpener wasn't doing 3/8ths, or wasn't doing 3/8th correctly, or the Maxium Edge guy, didn't do 1/2. There is no way 1/2 will feel sharper than 3/8 if both are done correctly. Oh yea, and by the way, a skate that has been skated on several hours will NOT have level edges when taken to a sharpener. The edges wear uneven normally, depending on the skater, e.g, if you always start your stride with your left foot, the inside edge of that skate will wear down quicker. Any sakte brought into a skarpener should have unven edges.

Crossgrinding has nothing to do with the sharpeneing.

Jimmy,

Sorry but I beg to differ with you about "Max Edge" process and what most people do. Unless of course you use a similar process.

In stoning the skates before during and after allong with some of the other parts used in the prsocess i can easily make a skate feel sharper at a 1/2 then some others 3/8ths. Although your store in particular may be able to do this with out the whole process good luck finding many others that can.

That being said if your not a good sharpener and you use the ME methods you still wont have a good sharpening anyway.

But using all the steps and the level I am pretty sure it is one of the better systems out there!

Jimmy,

Sorry but I beg to differ with you about "Max Edge" process and what most people do. Unless of course you use a similar process.

In stoning the skates before during and after allong with some of the other parts used in the prsocess i can easily make a skate feel sharper at a 1/2 then some others 3/8ths. Although your store in particular may be able to do this with out the whole process good luck finding many others that can.

That being said if your not a good sharpener and you use the ME methods you still wont have a good sharpening anyway.

But using all the steps and the level I am pretty sure it is one of the better systems out there!

You are actually agreeing with me, I made the same point. Any good sharpener will use methods to produce a superior sharpening. Just trying to seperate that having the label "Maximum Edge" doesn't guarranty one is better. And I agree that finding a good sharpener is very hard to do.

Jimmy,

You are actually agreeing with me, I made the same point. Any good sharpener will use methods to produce a superior sharpening. Just trying to seperate that having the label "Maximum Edge" doesn't guarranty one is better. And I agree that finding a good sharpener is very hard to do.

Like the local Max-Edge shop manager who gives you whatever hollow he wants, no matter what you ask for. It's just as important to know why you're doing something as it is to know what to do.