Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Datsyukiandeek

How would you handle this?

We were playing a game of pickup roller hockey over the rink, we play at an outdoor rink with full boards/nets etc. Well we usually organize 14 + 2 goalies. Well two random people showed up, one guy was nice. His buddy was like 5'8 270 at least. Anyways I brought my buddy up there to play in net, he hasn't really played in 4 months and was obviously rusty.

Well during play the "big" guy began to throw slashes on everyones wrists and ankles. Then he yelled at my friend because he let in a soft goal. His idea of playing defense was standing, not even floating, at the top of the circles while my team was dominating play.

Hes definitally a regular, usually shows up once a week during our games. Last time we had a problem with someone I caught that person looking at their feet and laid them out at the blue line and they stopped showing up.

How would you handle this? Everyone I play with really won't go out of their way to say anything to this guy and its a public rink..

Usually those guys end up unintentionally blocking a shot or two for every offense. And not one of those low, soft shots either.

I would say "go low on him," but I don't think you're going to win the COG battle in that match-up. Then there's always the possibility that he gets a nice cross-check in on the back of your neck...Unless you're much stronger than he is and/or are willing to drop the mitts, I wouldn't go that route.

Full gear? A well-placed shot or hard clearance attempt could calm him down for awhile...Again, you run the risk of direct physical confrontation, but, in the end, if that's what you've got to do, that's what you've got to do.

Usually those guys end up unintentionally blocking a shot or two for every offense. And not one of those low, soft shots either.

:lol: Actually, no one really takes slapshots that much. Not full cocked slap shots. We just play for fun, no helmets and cages so when I take a slapshot from the point its usually waste level unless theres a clear lane and I can rip it.

The guy in question though took a full on shot with my teamate standing directly infront of him, luckily it just hit him in the chest and not the face. The guy that took the shot didn't even flinch.

I would say "go low on him," but I don't think you're going to win the COG battle in that match-up. Then there's always the possibility that he gets a nice cross-check in on the back of your neck...Unless you're much stronger than he is and/or are willing to drop the mitts, I wouldn't go that route.

Full gear? A well-placed shot or hard clearance attempt could calm him down for awhile...Again, you run the risk of direct physical confrontation, but, in the end, if that's what you've got to do, that's what you've got to do.

The guy like I said is 5'8 265 easy and very unbalanced on his skate. Im 6'1 215. Ive never started a fight out there, it doesn't seem like the thing to do. Everyone is attempting to have fun, really nothing to get serious about. Until somone like this douche decideds he needs to take it to the next level.

Make a concerted effort to not involve him in the play, on the bench, etc. He'll get the idea.

We had this dickhead that kept coming to pickup that nobody liked who had this habit of SCREAMING for a pass at all times, so we just started shooting passes towards his head. Haven't seen him in a while.

If the other guys at the rink feel the same way as you, it will be pretty easy to keep him "uninvolved" in the play. Find out if he wears shin pads out there. (I know tons of guys who don't wear them at open hockey, and always bitch when they get hit). If he doesn't, then feel free to rip a couple of shots into his shins. It's his own fault for not wearing protection. If he acts like a dick, everyone else will back you up and pretty much push him out and tell him to never come back again.

Other than that, just make him look stupid out there. There are a couple of rivalries at the outdoor rink where I play open, and there's been quite a few fights. The rivals pretty much just go hard at eachother and try to show one another up. If this guy isn't really trying anyway, and isn't that great of a skater, you need to take him down a peg or two by showing him that he shouldn't even be on the same rink as you. Humble Pie tastes pretty sour.

If the other guys at the rink feel the same way as you, it will be pretty easy to keep him "uninvolved" in the play. Find out if he wears shin pads out there. (I know tons of guys who don't wear them at open hockey, and always bitch when they get hit). If he doesn't, then feel free to rip a couple of shots into his shins. It's his own fault for not wearing protection. If he acts like a dick, everyone else will back you up and pretty much push him out and tell him to never come back again.

Other than that, just make him look stupid out there. There are a couple of rivalries at the outdoor rink where I play open, and there's been quite a few fights. The rivals pretty much just go hard at eachother and try to show one another up. If this guy isn't really trying anyway, and isn't that great of a skater, you need to take him down a peg or two by showing him that he shouldn't even be on the same rink as you. Humble Pie tastes pretty sour.

Yeah I think this is the best way to go about it. I don't wear shin pads but I don't bitch when im blocking shots. It just amazes me, these people give inline hockey a bad name. They want to play hockey but they want zero contact and make up for their short comings by standing at the oppositions blue line cherry picking the whole game. I really want to get into a real league but theres absolutely nothing around me. Ohio blows.

I have had the same problem at some of the rinks that I play at. The way I see it, if you are the type of guy that is gonna give people crap for making a mistake then you should be given no space to make a mistake yourself. When this guy screws up "let him know about". He'll get the point after a while.

I can understand rivalries.

Like me and my friends VS this one guy (a really nice guy) and his friends games are fast, fun and competitive every so often theres a bad shot thatgets a guy in the shins (this is playing shinny) and there's appologies then the games back on. But we once had a new group of guys come out and play us just for kicks and they start hacking and getting mouthy, me and my buddies call a time out and we circle and say, So should we start playing now. so we just took them to school. Like a previous poster said, "humble pie is pretty sour."

We were playing a game of pickup roller hockey over the rink, we play at an outdoor rink with full boards/nets etc. Well we usually organize 14 + 2 goalies. Well two random people showed up, one guy was nice. His buddy was like 5'8 270 at least. Anyways I brought my buddy up there to play in net, he hasn't really played in 4 months and was obviously rusty.

Well during play the "big" guy began to throw slashes on everyones wrists and ankles. Then he yelled at my friend because he let in a soft goal. His idea of playing defense was standing, not even floating, at the top of the circles while my team was dominating play.

Hes definitally a regular, usually shows up once a week during our games. Last time we had a problem with someone I caught that person looking at their feet and laid them out at the blue line and they stopped showing up.

How would you handle this? Everyone I play with really won't go out of their way to say anything to this guy and its a public rink..

pee in his Gatorade... haha

no, I've had stuff like that happen.. that's one of the downfalls of playing at a public rink. If there are others who agree this guy goes too far, just make it a point to leave him out of the play. Or just have someone who is a little less reserved just tell him "Look man, you need to tame it down...you're more than welcome to play, but you need to tone it down and try not to belittle people"

I really want to get into a real league but theres absolutely nothing around me. Ohio blows.

I was going to offer a suggestion but I just realized that you're less than intelligent after this comment. Grow some balls and say something to him... that's all the advice I have left for you. :angry:

I really want to get into a real league but theres absolutely nothing around me. Ohio blows.

I was going to offer a suggestion but I just realized that you're less than intelligent after this comment. Grow some balls and say something to him... that's all the advice I have left for you. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Anyone from Cinci, Columbus or Cleveland doesn't understand the lack of hockey around the Toledo area. There is absolutely nothing for roller hockey.

I was going to offer a suggestion but I just realized that you're less than intelligent after this comment. Grow some balls and say something to him... that's all the advice I have left for you. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Anyone from Cinci, Columbus or Cleveland doesn't understand the lack of hockey around the Toledo area. There is absolutely nothing for roller hockey.

Wouldn't "the Toledo hockey experience leaves a lot to be desired" be more appropriate? My suggestion: change the time of your game and don't let the cancer know when you are playing. Good luck, and as a parting piece of advice, think about what you're saying before you make yourself look ignorant. The whole State of Ohio doesn't suck because Toledo hockey isn't up to par.

I remember when my son was playing in the men's open hockey session at age 12, and at about 115 lbs....and one of the better offensive players on the rink...there was a guy in his early forties in the locker room before the session, who just could not shut up..

This guy was bragging about scoring 16 goals at another pick up game at a different rink the week before, and explaining that because he had scored so much they wouldn't let him back there :blink: ....The guy was about 6'2" and about 280 lbs, not all muscle lol... Everyone was looking at him (it was his first time at this rink)....A few of the guys there had played some semi serious hockey at one point or another.

Sure enough he got seriously undressed by my son in the first few minutes on the rink..more than once..so while my son was looking the other way he comes up behind him and drives a crosscheck into the back of his head....Then puts his hands up like it was an accident.....next shift..the same thing happens..except this time it's an elbow to the head.....That was enough.....One of the guys playing on my son's side was an old Peterborugh Pete's junior player from about 10 years before....As our big tough goal scorer was carrying the puck down the boards in classic heads down style....no doubt counting all his goals to himself...this ex Pete....drills him with a perfect leg driven check and sent him head first over the boards into/under the bench..legs flailing in the air. You should have heard the screaming about "non contact" coming from under the bench...lol

That was his last visit to our rink...I wonder what the story was at the next rink.