Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cbettner66

idea for goalie pads

For some reason i was watching a commercial on tv for tempur-pedic matresses, you know - the one where they put a full wine glass on a bed and then jump up and down on the matress without spilling it. Well, i thought why doesnt a goalie equipment maker use that special foam in leg pads to reduce rebounds even more.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TempurCMSVB/mat...l/viscoelastic/

material_visco_handpress.jpg

Does anyone think this is a good idea? I wonder if rbk or ccm or any of the others have thought of this..

What if you went down on your kness and crushed all the foam then came back up and took a slapper right where all the foam had been crushed.

i see what you are saying - but im sure this type of thing could be tested - i would bet that there is some way that they could add this foam and not have to worry about that..

i just think this has some potential - although it would just give them another reason to charge even more for leg pads

back in the day, when i was a kid growing up in brooklyn & we played with those green park garbage can's as posts to make a net, & 88mm electric tape rolls as pucks, near my entire goalie equip set was made of foam like that. except it was only like 1" thick.

Temper foam is already in use just not as widely.

Link 1

It's more of a comfort foam, it's not resilient enough like what Alias81 said. I've also heard it termed as 'medical foam' too

Temper foam is already in use just not as widely.

Link 1

It's more of a comfort foam, it's not resilient enough like what Alias81 said. I've also heard it termed as 'medical foam' too

sounds like they didnt want to have to pay licensing or have to slap a "tempur-pedic" logo on the pads - so they just made up their own foam that is similar?

they wouldn't have to put much of this in the pad for it to work - just like less than an inch on the face - i wonder if they will start using it in chest protectors or anything else?

People occasionally ask me to put it in knee lifts, but I wouldn't want it in a pad as stuffing because of the weight, compression, and protection issues. Used as a backer or comfort foam it is great.

There is a small layer of memory foam in the shin of the Vapor goal pad. It would not be a good foam to use in knee cradles (knee wedges) because of it being soft. You will not get as good of weight transfer up and down or side to side and the pad would feel like it is sticking to the ice whe you try to move laterally.

so it sounds like bauer and vaughn have started using stuff similar to this?

i didn't mean they should make the entire pad out of this foam - i just meant they could find certain places in the pad to use this to reduce rebounds - i didn't know if this was something the manufacturers had thought of or not

There is a small layer of memory foam in the shin of the Vapor goal pad. It would not be a good foam to use in knee cradles (knee wedges) because of it being soft. You will not get as good of weight transfer up and down or side to side and the pad would feel like it is sticking to the ice whe you try to move laterally.

I was thinking that it might be better than those gel pads in helmets, player and goalies alike.

I don't mean to pad the helmet with it as it's only padding but to add pieces of it to the foam that's already in the helmet. If that makes sense.

i could see them adding this on the insides of the knees to absorb the impact of butterflying all the time - then again it might be so comfortable i wouldn't want to get back up :P

material_visco_handpress.jpg

I don't know...this looks awful comfy. Pretty sure I might get caught napping in the crease more than I already do... :D

It would be too hot on the head. I have a Tempeurpedic bed and they are much warmer than the average bed.

I was thinking that it might be better than those gel pads in helmets, player and goalies alike.

I don't mean to pad the helmet with it as it's only padding but to add pieces of it to the foam that's already in the helmet. If that makes sense.

It would be too hot on the head. I have a Tempeurpedic bed and they are much warmer than the average bed.

hey just out of curiosity how much did you pay for that?

i had the vapors and they do have some kind of foam like that. but it did soak up alot of water, good on comfort put think it would be to heavy after use to use too much foam. defently agree that it would make me wont to sleep on the ice