Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim A

State Wars

MDE, Thanks for your comments, it is interesting to see it from that point of view. I think I am one of the most collected people that play hockey around here, I am always respectful and I am nowhere near a pessimist. I know you have no way of knowing that, but I talked with several people after the selection was made and they all told me the same thing. There is a rink around here that opened up a couple of years ago, its a great facility and it was built by volunteer work believe it or not. The guy running that facility is a very good guy, and has always helped me out a lot. He's got two sons, and the older one tried out for the camp. The rink was in the process of becoming a certified USA Inline rink, and I had 4 former coaches come up and tell me that this guy was in favors with the USA inline crew and was stuck on there as one of the alternates. He's a nice kid, but he is very stuck up and he is not a team player, all he is interested in doing when playing hockey is showing off and making himself the center of the team. I just couldn't get my head through why they had any other reason to pick him over me when I know I have more skill than he does and I can pass the puck. I was told this by 4 other coaches, grown n men, not just my teammates. Another boy that got picked for an alternate was on my team for the weekend. Me and him are good buddies and we had played on a couple of teams together. He played D with me a lot during the weekend, and he did not find the net once the whole tryout. He had maybe 3-4 assists and he even came up and told me himself what a horrible weekend he was having. I had 13 goals and 6 assists throughout the tryout, and I thought I had really busted my balls playing. All I did that weekend was play hockey come home and sleep and go back and play some more because I was so exhausted from all of the games. I work out 4-5 times a week and play hockey also 4-5 times a week. I am NOT out of shape, it was just how hard I was skating. This was not the first tryout for a team that I had ever been to, and I really felt like I had at least an alternate spot secured on the team. It just sucks when you know you have put forth your best effort and clearly surpass other people, but they still get picked while I don't. I still have next year to try, so the world is not over. Thanks again for making me look at this from another point of view, and hopefully next year will be better.

AxFirexInside who are you, I am assuming you play for Fire for Ice but who do you play for Roller?

Thanks for your mature reply....I know what you are saying and it's easy to believe that only politics influenced the selection....and I am not saying that there are not ANY politics in the sport......there always are, and in the larger picture..sometimes necessary politics..much as I hate to admit it.

That this kid got placed as an alternate might well have been a political decision, but kind of a meaningless one if you understand what I mean. Sure it's hard to swallow when you are obviously such an avid competitor, and like to see some recognition for your efforts, but it's all part of the game, and strength of character in the face of adversity is a major turn on for most coaches doing the selection. Someone who can suck up their dissapointment..for whatever reason....like when we all feel that things are "not going our way".... and still put out their best effort..WILL get recognized.

Unfortunately when you get below the top 5 - 12 or so players at one of these tryout camps(depending on the strength of participation) the lines can get a bit blurry between players. It then falls on "secondary criteria" to draw the line. That "secondary criteria" might occasionally in fact be political, or might be something the coaches see in the potential for development..good skating stride, good rink awareness, exceptional speed, great attitude etc. etc. Even though this player may not have exhibited as good an actual numbers performance as another, the coaches are trying to look beyond just the immediate results and to what a player might become if given the encouragement. Sometimes this kind of evaluation is lost on those who have put out their best, as well as having put up some good numbers. Sometimes it's just an age thing too...they might select some players who are in their last year as alternates as a "reward" for having participated in multiple camps.

Remember that the ultimate purpose for these camps is for USA Hockey to get a look at the "state of the sport" and find players who may eventually become valuable members of Team USA Men's team for international competition in the IIHFI. At this level you will be competing against professional hockey players from around the world. As a result of this, your potential for development, not just your performance, is a big part of what they are looking at. Maybe spend some time during the season taking some serious elite level clinics, or private tutoring from a qualified professional instructor ..if they are available to you.

Keep up the good work and keep believing in your self.

MDE Thanks for the wise words. I will definetly be working hard to get ready for next year, also I forgot to mention to you that I am not a native of the USA, I have lived here for 7 years but I am not a citizen, I am from Argentina. Amazingly they did make it to the IIHF tournament, and I have been in the talks with the coach to go practice with them sometime and check it out whenever I visit my family again. I'm exited for this, I am dying to know what kind of hockey they are playing. Thanks again and I will keep everything in mind that you have mentioned.

MDE, Thanks for your comments, it is interesting to see it from that point of view. I think I am one of the most collected people that play hockey around here, I am always respectful and I am nowhere near a pessimist. I know you have no way of knowing that, but I talked with several people after the selection was made and they all told me the same thing. There is a rink around here that opened up a couple of years ago, its a great facility and it was built by volunteer work believe it or not. The guy running that facility is a very good guy, and has always helped me out a lot. He's got two sons, and the older one tried out for the camp. The rink was in the process of becoming a certified USA Inline rink, and I had 4 former coaches come up and tell me that this guy was in favors with the USA inline crew and was stuck on there as one of the alternates. He's a nice kid, but he is very stuck up and he is not a team player, all he is interested in doing when playing hockey is showing off and making himself the center of the team. I just couldn't get my head through why they had any other reason to pick him over me when I know I have more skill than he does and I can pass the puck. I was told this by 4 other coaches, grown n men, not just my teammates. Another boy that got picked for an alternate was on my team for the weekend. Me and him are good buddies and we had played on a couple of teams together. He played D with me a lot during the weekend, and he did not find the net once the whole tryout. He had maybe 3-4 assists and he even came up and told me himself what a horrible weekend he was having. I had 13 goals and 6 assists throughout the tryout, and I thought I had really busted my balls playing. All I did that weekend was play hockey come home and sleep and go back and play some more because I was so exhausted from all of the games. I work out 4-5 times a week and play hockey also 4-5 times a week. I am NOT out of shape, it was just how hard I was skating. This was not the first tryout for a team that I had ever been to, and I really felt like I had at least an alternate spot secured on the team. It just sucks when you know you have put forth your best effort and clearly surpass other people, but they still get picked while I don't. I still have next year to try, so the world is not over. Thanks again for making me look at this from another point of view, and hopefully next year will be better.

AxFirexInside who are you, I am assuming you play for Fire for Ice but who do you play for Roller?

last season i played for the fire but this year im on the duluth AA jr thrashers..and for roller right now im playing on a made up team with abunch of good players picked up from different rinks..we are gonna call ourselves Team Marley and get rasta jerseys made and shit..its gonna be tight

Well if you guys play 17-U let me know i'm down to play wherever. If you want every wed at around 8 at the SGAA rink we have pickup games if you want to come out and play there are a couple of good guys. This week Dave Caruso is coming out with us, he played at the cooler and got recruited to play NCAA Div 1 at Ohio state, he plays net. PM me if you want more info.

Well if you guys play 17-U let me know i'm down to play wherever. If you want every wed at around 8 at the SGAA rink we have pickup games if you want to come out and play there are a couple of good guys. This week Dave Caruso is coming out with us, he played at the cooler and got recruited to play NCAA Div 1 at Ohio state, he plays net. PM me if you want more info.

yeah man i know where SGGA..i played theere back when i was in middle school and played in the school league but yeah i live i fulton count..alpharetta to be exact...you? oh and what hs do you go to?

I go to Collins Hill, its in Lawrenceville, Gwinnett.

EDIT: Please do not post your email or phone number. Use a PM if you need to pass along that information to another member.