Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris68

i keep breaking sticks

i've been through 7 sticks in the last 2 monthes, and i play roller, usually about 2-3 times a week, and i dont know what the problem is. Im not using any kind of special sticks, just ones that you can buy at the local modells or sports authority (koho, cheap bauer,cheap eastons) usually in the 15-25 dollar range, im getting pretty mad about it too and i know its not just the sticks cause i've tried a bunch of different ones, any tips on making them last longer?

Buy a decent shaft, in the $80-$120 range and just use replacement blades. How are you breaking them? Is the blade breaking or are you snapping them in two? If you're snapping them then you need a higher flex, try a 100.

$100 seems like a lot right now but you said it yourself, 7 sticks at $25 a pop is $175, that could get you a nice durable shaft and three replacement wooden blades that will easily last you longer then wood. Plus the stick will be much lighter..

your problem is probably too low of a flex, or the fact that you are using cheap woodies.

if i were you i would invest $70+ on an ops or a shaft blade combo.

you can allways find a good deal on ops's online.

what flex are you using?

Where do the sticks come up to on your body in skates? Do you cut them at all? When do they break? (wrist shot, slapshot, slashes? (heh.)If they're breaking on slapshots, it could be that they're too long, and you're grabbing too much ground when you strike the puck.

Also, what type of floor do you play on? (IE: sport court, wood, painted concrete, etc)

When do they break? (wrist shot, slapshot, slashes?

This could also add some insite, if you could let us know.

check on ebay and buy yourself a old style aluminum stick. i used them when i would young in stree hockey and when ever i got mad i would swing it at a tree. i swear i could of chopped a tree down with that thing and it would still work fine. :lol:

I love the Easton composites. I am currently using the SL 100 flex and have had it for a year. These days I mostly play ball so the stick will last longer than puck but the investment is worth it if you can get 6-8 months out of it.

I love the Easton composites. I am currently using the SL 100 flex and have had it for a year. These days I mostly play ball so the stick will last longer than puck but the investment is worth it if you can get 6-8 months out of it.

thats the longest iv heard of an SL lasting, the flex usaully gets shot out of mine after two months and they snap

i always break them on slapshots, and the last stick i broke was an 80 flex, so i guess i could go higher

You may be putting to much force into the floor, that's the number one cause of broken sticks on slapshots.

thats not the case for me though, cause i broke my first 2 sticks from doing that, and i learned my lesson, i put all of the force into the puck

I'd try looking for a TPS Redlite. Easton Ultra Lite or Mission M2 (the powered by Aldila logo). I've seen those three shafts last forever for several people, particularly the Redlite. If you can find TPS Genesis or Tri-Core, those are also tanks.

Also, some of the older Mission shafts like the Dangler and the Flyweight (which are hard to come by) have legendary lifespans as I've seen guys who are very hard on sticks still using Danglers in particular some 3-4 years after getting them.

i can vouch for the redlite's durability. i got a redlite shaft 6 years ago and used it exclusively until 2 years ago when i sold it to a friend. he's about 6' 4" 260 lbs, and the thing is still going strong to this day.

the M-2 is good as well, but i haven't used it very long, but it seems strong. really slick though. but my old redlite's grip wasn't much better, it had like a semi gloss coating, that i can only describe as getting 'ashy' over time.

i can vouch for the redlite's durability. i got a redlite shaft 6 years ago and used it exclusively until 2 years ago when i sold it to a friend. he's about 6' 4" 260 lbs, and the thing is still going strong to this day.

the M-2 is good as well, but i haven't used it very long, but it seems strong. really slick though. but my old redlite's grip wasn't much better, it had like a semi gloss coating, that i can only describe as getting 'ashy' over time.

I found the M-2 slippery also, but a very good shaft otherwise. I thought the inno 1100 was very good durability-wise. the one i had broke while on its 4th owner.

Well first off you said it yourself, you are buying cheap stuff.. What is your height/weight? The flex may be too low. Also what surface are you playing on?

Sorry if people responded to this or you answered these questions already.

I also can attest to the redlite's durability. It's frayed a bit and has some scratches but it's the only stick I've ever seen that's in this kind of shape and stiff going strong. It's been this way for about a year and still going strong. The stick overall has lasted me a couple years.

I have always found the Easton Ultralite to be a great stick. I have been using one for 5 years now and you dont have to kill yourself on replacement blades like tapered. good feel to. And I have been there on the cheap sticks. Use to go through Koho revolutions like crazy very frustrating

The TPS sticks with the xn10 carbon on them are great for durability. I have also used Ultra Lite sticks for what seems like forever, they are both great choices for durability as well as performance.