Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

Rubbing out a bruise?

I know there's a way to 'Rub Out' a bruise. I took a decent shot on the inside of leg just above the knee tonight, got a little knot already, should be a decent bruise :D But anyone know how and when to apply this technique?

Edit: Here's something that WEBMD has..

http://www.webmd.com/hw/skin_wounds/aa61479.asp

Not quite what I was thinking of..I worked with Western MI's hockey team for a few years during my attendance, and their A.T. did it once. But I didn't think to ask when and how to do it. I think it had something to do with rubbing on it really hard, (*the BRUISE), and it was somewhat painful...but it totally got rid of any future bruising and soreness.

You may be confusing terminology. A bruise is nothing more than bleeding internally. If rubbing it out, all you are doing is dissipating the blood. Rubbing hard when new could cause more bleeding, just like rubbing hard on a cut. You want to stop the bleeding as soon as possible, ie ice and pressure. Ice also reduces swelling, by constricting blood vessels. After the bleedings stopped rubbing can disburse the blood in the area, but could also break loose clots in the vessels causing more problems, (death in some cases). If you remember hearing about the 2 separate incidences in the past couple of years of death to a youth hockey player, each from a shot in the leg. In each case the player was hit on a preexisting bruise. The subsequent shot broke loose a clot that went straight to the heart.

The best advise for contusions is to ice w/ pressure in first 48hrs, then leave it alone. Ask your Doctor about maybe using asperin as a pain killer/blood thinner.

This is in no way intended to take the place of professional advice from your primary health care provider. It is only intended as a general course of action in most circumstances, to be followed only after, and with the recommendations by your doctor.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/...sp?navbar=aa866

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/...sp?navbar=aa866 ;)

Rubbing out a contusion, for example as they do in boxing, is not a healthy thing to do. They use techniques to disburse the blood under the skin and reduce swelling temporarily so the swelled spot won't split open, and therein keeping the multi million dollar fight going.

For most mortals this is not a good idea.

In case this is what you were referring to.

Prenny,

98-01ish. You also said you were familiar with Cadillac/The Wex... Explain...Might I know you?

HockeyDoc,

Yeah, that might be what I'm thinking of. I'll just stick to what WebMD said. I bruise kinda easy, and I was just looking for a trick to help reduce the size and verocity of them. BTW... GREAT Disclaimer on the first post. LOL

When I was practising martial arts, mostly kung fu, we regularly rubbed bruises using force and lubricant. Idea was that it wouldn´t leave hardened blood under skin on a bone or muscle, that would easily get injured in the next practise.

Rubbing them out actually helped a lot them going away, as the area, where the bruise was, flattened and enlarged, so it healed somehow faster than it normally would. The procedure itself hurt like hell sometimes though and you should be very careful to rub them the right way, that the blood wouldn´t go under joints or other hard-to-get-to points.

Prenny,

98-01ish. You also said you were familiar with Cadillac/The Wex... Explain...Might I know you?

HockeyDoc,

Yeah, that might be what I'm thinking of. I'll just stick to what WebMD said. I bruise kinda easy, and I was just looking for a trick to help reduce the size and verocity of them. BTW... GREAT Disclaimer on the first post. LOL

Thanks...LOL

That site seemed good. I agree with wanting some quick fix tricks. IMO most of those are not the healthiest, even the ones that seem to work. ;)

Mark Kaziwych...He's a Team Physician for the Stars

That's cool. I didn't know.

Go Stars...I actually like the Red Wings though. But hey, Go Stars. :lol:

yeah, he's originally from my rink...Super guy. Lot of Dallas/MI connections, esp with the Kalamazoo Wings being the farm club for a number of years.