Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

A question about sharpening, with reguard to weight

OK, so I am a pretty big guy, I am 6'3" 240lbs.

So there is a lot of weight on my skates.

At the minute, I am skating about 3 times a week. I am not a high level skater, so don't really like a deep cut on my skates.

I don't want to keep skating on them until I notice a slip, so was wondering, based on my size and frequency at the rink, how often do you recommend sharpening my skates?

Cheers

Depends on ice and how you skate. I wouldn't go more than two weeks but I'm also the kind of guy who will sharpen my skates before every ice session when I have a sharpener because I like them to feel exactly the same every time I hit the ice.

Depends on ice and how you skate. I wouldn't go more than two weeks but I'm also the kind of guy who will sharpen my skates before every ice session when I have a sharpener because I like them to feel exactly the same every time I hit the ice.

The ice varies, at 2 of the places, it's pretty hard, but at one, Wheaton, the stick and puck is at the outdoor rink, and it was close to 70 degrees here on Saturday, so the corners were soft and mushy.

As for how I skate. Are you talking technique, or how long on the ice at a time?

I think my technique needs improving, I wouldn't class myself as a total beginner, I have decent stride, crossovers need to be smoother etc, but I don't lean in on my ankles.

I am usually on the ice about an hour a go or so. I am not a powerful skater with hard strides, but I am getting better

It is also going to depend on how well you take care of your skates. If they are just thrown back in the bag with a beat up terry cloth cover or a sock, then you will get some nicks and possibly loose and edge. If you take care of your skates after an ice session, you are more likely to have that edge last longer.

I am not a high level skater, so don't really like a deep cut on my skates.

You are mistaken. A high level skater would go with a flat, non-deep cut! That is because he would have the ankle strength and skill to still do tight turns with a relatively flat cut, and he would not want the extra drag of a deep cut.

Try a 5/8" radius.

You are mistaken. A high level skater would go with a flat, non-deep cut! That is because he would have the ankle strength and skill to still do tight turns with a relatively flat cut, and he would not want the extra drag of a deep cut.

Try a 5/8" radius.

It's not a hollow question, it's a frequency question.

A general rule of thumb I use is to have my skates shapened every 300 minutes. I actually have a little dry erase board where I store my skates and I subtract from 300 in 30 and 60 minute increments. Thirty minutes for a game and sixty for a practice. It works for me.

I'm on about 3,600 minutes at the moment, I just can't seem to get round to sorting them out. I may have to resort to *Dramatic music* a sweet stick. <_<

Try a 5/8" radius.

I understand that, however, I am still trying to get my hockey stops sorted, so find it easier on a shallower or duller edge.

I don't know what cut I have now though, it was more a how often. I just know when I can hockey stop easier, its time for a sharpening