Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Groin wrap

I"m recovering from a Groin injury and Have been playing rather conservatively. Someone suggested I wrap my groin with an Ace Bandage (How?)or wear compression shorts. Anyone here have experiance on the subject?

I"m recovering from a Groin injury and Have been playing rather conservatively. Someone suggested I wrap my groin with an Ace Bandage (How?)or wear compression shorts. Anyone here have experiance on the subject?

get a long 4" ace bandage and go from as high up on the thigh to a few inches above the knee. There is no special way to wrap it just do not make it to tight (or to loose). If you can, wear some compression short over it to help keep the wrap in place.

Most of all don't rush the recovery. Groins take along time to recover and injur easily.

I used to have a large neoprene wrap that I used for added compression when my groin or hammy was tight. You should be able to find something at a drug store or target/wal-mart type of place.

http://www.recoverybraces.com/hely-weber/groin%20wrap.htm

http://www.bd.com/elastics/displayProduct....id=0&pid=72

http://www.bd.com/elastics/displayProduct....d=0&pid=121

http://bracesupport.com/BodyGlove/lumbtan.htm

Get a double 6" ace wrap and use that (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/DOUBLE-LENGTH-ELASTI...=UTF8&s=hpc ). Wrap it around your thigh a few times (pulling tighter across the groin) and then bring it up around your waist, then back down around the thigh, then up around the waist...(sort of like a figure 8). When you wrap, make sure you bring it down around the inside and up around the outside (for example, if you're wrapping your right groin, looking down around it you should be going counterclockwise). Pull it tightest when you're coming down from your waist and across the groin area.

If you had a muscle tear, an ace bandage will *not* do anything to prevent any further damage.

It might help by reminding you that you had an injury and you will be more cautious. But nothing else.

The best thing you could do is to exercise and stretch the muscles in the area to increase their strength and flexibility. Hopefully this would reduce the likelihood of a new injury.

I would also suggest not to play hockey until you have done this. Exercising in a gym is a more controlled situation and less likely to cause a new injury than playing.

When I tore my groin I came back and my team Physician wrapped my groin really really good. He used a long long tensor bandage went around my waist under & around my leg and did that about 10 15 times. he then taped it up really good. It really pulled my leg up and that definetly helped. It was as though my leg was being slinged and whenever I put it down it kind of puled up the sling really really helped. I got rid of the "groin sling" in 2 weeks and i felt 95% after that 2 weeks.

I don't know if I tore it pulled it.

I initially stopped playing for 2 months and hit Physio after the first 2 weeks after the injury. 1-2 advils usually totally masked the pain so the Dr and the Physio gal did not think I needed an MRI.

I still get sore to the point that I feel it when done playing.

I've been icing it after stretching after games but I do feel it for a day or so after the game.

I'm playing Adult League hockey on 2 teams so quitting right now would suck. Season is over in March so I've been just playing conservatively and not skating as hard.

It's strange because a week ago, I pulled a hamstring and that totally healed but the groin still gets sore after a game.

I have a series of stretches and strengthening exercises I do from Physio. I feel much better the next day when I stretch and to the strengthening exercies the night before.

How old are you? I am 35 and pulled both my groins a couple years ago after taking the summer off. Since then, I skate year round. Ever since I turned 30, my groins feel really tight the next day (or two) after skating (even before the pulls). I have researched this and cannot find any explanation. It is not due to my skates or lack of strength. I always skate with compression shorts; I like the Sweat It Out brand with Power Lycra. If I need extra support, I might wear two pairs.

I've been icing it after stretching after games but I do feel it for a day or so after the game.

I'm almost 41.

Since playing hockey I've always suffered from Delayed onset Muscle soreness. Mostly in the quads and hip flexors though. The groin has slowed me down enough (not that I was fast before) that I only feel the groin soreness the next day. For example, I played Sat night as well as Sunday night. Today I feel great as far as walking around but any soccer style kicking motion in my right foot and I can feel it. I've shortened my stride to compensate and I don't move laterally nearly as much as I can physically skate anymore to compensate. On the flip side, I'm passing better :)

Remember that you now have scar tissue that is not as pliable.You could try active release tecnique (ART)to make the scar tissue more "looser".You could also have a complete bio mechanical exam and find out what the problem areas are and get a program.Depends how far you want to take it, I guess.

I pulled my groin for the first time ever a few months ago and it wasn't terribly painful, but I definitely could feel it when skating. I didn't do any wrap or anything, but I did apply a heatpad to it a few times. I rested it and make sure to stretch it before skating and it seems to be fine now.

An Ace bandage did wonders for me when I pulled mine a few weeks ago playing roller hockey. It helps much more than you'd imagine it would. Ride a bike rather than skate or run for cardio as it is a non-weight bearing activity.