Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

warrior37

Datsyuk vs. Thornton

I don't think the Flyers will do that because I think now that they have that cancer Clarke out, they'll start going after things they need rather than big names.

I don't think the Flyers will do that because I think now that they have that cancer Clarke out, they'll start going after things they need rather than big names.

They need a playmaker for Gagne. Hes getting paid $5.2 mill to score goals and hes not even a force without someone giving him the puck.

No...no they don't. They need a tendy, first and foremost. Not that they wouldn't like or need a playmaker, they just have bigger needs.

No...no they don't. They need a tendy, first and foremost. Not that they wouldn't like or need a playmaker, they just have bigger needs.

I can't think of a goalie in the league that could steal 82 games with that Flyers defense in front of them.

First things first though, they need someone there. I can't think of one solid tendy they've had since the first time they had Hextall.

First things first though, they need someone there. I can't think of one solid tendy they've had since the first time they had Hextall.

I thought Cechmanek played well enough for them to win.. But when the team would have its usual collapse against the Devils or Sens he wasn't the kind of guy that could win a game on his own.

Maybe they will have the common sense to pry Bryzgalov away from Anahiem.

But he lasted a season or two as a dependable goalie. They need someone that's going to be there for a while and play well.

But he lasted a season or two as a dependable goalie. They need someone that's going to be there for a while and play well.

The team always stopped scoring in the playoffs, he really wasn't the problem. In his last year in Philly he had a 1.83 GAA in the regular season and a 2.15 in the playoffs. The Flyers never scored more than 2 goals in any game in the series against Ottawa that eliminated them. While he was a head case and somewhat out of control, he was never the biggest problem.

Not even close, my arguement, has been all along that your're comparing a player whos been in the league for a decade to a player whos been in for five years.

I am? Seems Datsyuk and yourself were the ones to make the comparison. I didn't say he deserved Thornton money or was as good. In my mind they are completely different, but for whatever reason Datsyuk felt he deserved the money. Here's your original posts that brought the comparisons on.

Datsyuk dominates during the regular season and doesn't in the playoffs.. yet. So does he deserve the same pay as Joe Thorton? Yeah, they both choke.

Thornton's first five years: 247 points, 355 games

Datsyuk's first five years: 262 points, 337 games

Thornton's first five years in playoffs: 13 points, 23 games

Datsyuk's first five years in playoffs: 15 points, 42 games

To say Thornton has out performed Datsyuk is ridiculous, if anything they're stats are onpar with each others. Is Thornton more valueable? Obviously, that comes with 5 more inches and 40 more pounds.

Those don't matter when you are 6 years older than the player in comparison. It's actually bang on to say Thornton's outperformed Datsyuk. Dats doesn't have an MVP and Dats isn't among the top 5 best players in the league.

I agree, Thornton is much more valuable, Dats is an amazing talent, but he has always played second fiddle in Detroit. Thornton has always been the face of every organization he has been in, therefore carrying alot more presure. Players like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanahan, Hasek have always been there to carry that team. I just think that Thornton has more value than Dats for that reason alone, he can carry a load. Even in Detroit now, they want another Center, Forsberg, who can make big plays. It just looks like the Wings dont have as much faith in Datsyuk as ohter key players in the past.

I agree, Thornton is much more valuable, Dats is an amazing talent, but he has always played second fiddle in Detroit. Thornton has always been the face of every organization he has been in, therefore carrying alot more presure. Players like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanahan, Hasek have always been there to carry that team. I just think that Thornton has more value than Dats for that reason alone, he can carry a load. Even in Detroit now, they want another Center, Forsberg, who can make big plays. It just looks like the Wings dont have as much faith in Datsyuk as ohter key players in the past..

Datsyuk has lead the team in scoring for two consecutive seasons and is working on his third. Thornton has yet to prove anything except being a bust in the playoffs. Is Thornton more valueable to most teams? Sure, a 6'4" version of Datsyuk. But hes just as soft and hasn't produced in the playoffs. MVP of the regular season is great and only great players win it but until either player steps up in the playoffs they're both equal. Obviously Datsyuk can't compare to Thornton's season last year, he was on a pace for a monster campaign but what did he do in the playoffs when his team counted on him? Nothing, just like Dats.

And no, the Wings have plenty of faith in Datsyuk, our top line is one of the best in the league Dats-Zetterberg-Holmstrom but the real problem is the lack of quality wingers and a piss poor Robert Lang. Right now the wings are a one trick pony with Lang floating. If Forsberg were to come in, Lang would be moved for picks and Datsyuk would stay at wing while Forsberg centers the second line. The Wings have no depth at center, thats pretty obvious from them playing one of the best playmaking centers at LW for the bulk of the season.

Datsyuk has lead the team in scoring for two consecutive seasons and is working on his third. Thornton has yet to prove anything except being a bust in the playoffs. Is Thornton more valueable to most teams? Sure, a 6'4" version of Datsyuk. But hes just as soft and hasn't produced in the playoffs. MVP of the regular season is great and only great players win it but until either player steps up in the playoffs they're both equal. Obviously Datsyuk can't compare to Thornton's season last year, he was on a pace for a monster campaign but what did he do in the playoffs when his team counted on him? Nothing, just like Dats.

I still can't believe you're putting Datsyuk on the same level as Thornton "except for one season." You're delusional.

I still can't believe you're putting Datsyuk on the same level as Thornton "except for one season." You're delusional.

I still can't believe anyone can't provide a legit arguement as why Thornton deserves big time money while Datsyuk doesn't. Since jumbo joe is so important to his franchise. What exactly did he accomplish in a Bs uni or thus far in a Sharks uniform when it really counts?

How many 50-goal scorers has Datsyuk created? Okay then.

That seems to be another basis for an argument you can't win since you're completely oblivious to the point totals that reflect Thornton's dominance over Datsyuk.

How many 50-goal scorers has Datsyuk created? Okay then.

That seems to be another basis for an argument you can't win since you're completely oblivious to the point totals that reflect Thornton's dominance over Datsyuk.

Shanny scored 40 goals playing on Datsyuk's line last season. Datsyuk dragged Brett Hull's lazy ass around the ice for 92 goals over 3 seasons. Obviously that was all his wingers though, Datsyuk had nothing to do with any of it :rolleyes:

And yeah, Thornton made Murray a very productive player but Savard has done the same thing. Cheechoo has 21 goals playing with Joe and now they've been seperated. Joe is now playing with Marleau. Datsyuk has played with aging players (Hull) and a player he had little to no chemistry with (Shanahan) and made them better then they were.

If anything you have yet to put up a reasonable arguement as to why Joe Thornton is such an amazing player. The only thing you've eluded to was regular season success and making his linemates better, both things Datsyuk has done.

I don't have to make an argument that Thornton's better because it's widely-accepted fact. I actually tremble at adding "widely" in there only because you seem to be taking your lips off of Datsyuk only long enough to claw at some paper-thin argument that he's in Thornton's class.

In the last season+ Thornton's got about 200pts. What's Datsyuk checking in at?

I don't have to make an argument that Thornton's better because it's widely-accepted fact. I actually tremble at adding "widely" in there only because you seem to be taking your lips off of Datsyuk only long enough to claw at some paper-thin argument that he's in Thornton's class.

Last two seasons, up to date as of yesterday:

Joey T= 166 points.. 114 games 1.45 PPG

Playoffs= 9 points

Dats= 140 points.. 130 games 1.07 PPG

Playoffs= 9 points

Returning to russian suck fest B)

I still can't believe anyone can't provide a legit arguement as why Thornton deserves big time money while Datsyuk doesn't. Since jumbo joe is so important to his franchise. What exactly did he accomplish in a Bs uni or thus far in a Sharks uniform when it really counts?

How? You didn't seem to respond to my last post on the subject.

Thornton has better stats in the regular season, and in the playoffs. Thornton has been the best player on his team for a number of years now and as well as a top 5 player in the league. Datsyuk hasn't. Players aren't paid in the playoffs, so that shouldn't effect much. Even if you take that into account, his numbers are better than Datsyuks in the playoffs. Dats isn't the Wings best player right now, he's second fiddle to Lidstrom, Hasek and arguably Zetterberg.

The evidence is right infront of you. Thornton is bigger, strong, more dominant, puts up more points, is a better leader, and scores more in the playoffs.

Ya, no argument whatsoever. You continue to say, "He's a 6'4 Datsyuk" that may be, but Dats isn't 6'4 and he doesn't dominate games the way Thornton does. Pronger may very well be a 6'6 version of Schneider, but that extra height, weight, and presence is the difference between being good and being great in this league. Datsyuk is continually outplayed by Thornton and you have not been able to show otherwise.

How? You didn't seem to respond to my last post on the subject.

Thornton has better stats in the regular season, and in the playoffs. Thornton has been the best player on his team for a number of years now and as well as a top 5 player in the league. Datsyuk hasn't. Players aren't paid in the playoffs, so that shouldn't effect much. Even if you take that into account, his numbers are better than Datsyuks in the playoffs. Dats isn't the Wings best player right now, he's second fiddle to Lidstrom, Hasek and arguably Zetterberg.

The evidence is right infront of you. Thornton is bigger, strong, more dominant, puts up more points, is a better leader, and scores more in the playoffs.

Ya, no argument whatsoever. You continue to say, "He's a 6'4 Datsyuk" that may be, but Dats isn't 6'4 and he doesn't dominate games the way Thornton does. Pronger may very well be a 6'6 version of Schneider, but that extra height, weight, and presence is the difference between being good and being great in this league. Datsyuk is continually outplayed by Thornton and you have not been able to show otherwise.

Thornton Career PPG: .96

Datsyuk Career PPG: .87

Thornton Career Playoff PPG: .59

Datsyuk Career Playoff PPG: .36

Thornton's Career Earnings: $27,161,000

Datsyuk's Career Earnings: $10,625,000

Thornton has been paid three times as much while narrowly staying ahead of Datsyuk in career PPG. The only thing Thornton has going for him is his size, which no one will argue with and his slightly less mediocre playoff PPG.

Thornton doesn't blow Datsyuk out of the water as you seem to be suggesting.

Last two seasons, up to date as of yesterday:

Joey T= 166 points.. 114 games 1.45 PPG

Playoffs= 9 points

Dats= 140 points.. 130 games 1.07 PPG

Playoffs= 9 points

Returning to russian suck fest B)

You:Math::LCHockey:English

You:Math::LCHockey:English

The math speaks for itself, I wouldn't waste my time if I wanted to hide Datsyuk's stats. You wanted to use the last two seasons, Thornton and Datsyuk's best seasons to date, PPG wise and I did. The math, which im horrible at apparently, shows Thornton scored a half a point more per game in the regular season and exactly the same amount in the playoffs. Is it that hard to comprehend?

1/2 pt. a game = 41 pts. over a season. :rolleyes: that's kind of a big deal.

it's a bit less than that, but still a considerable amount.

1.45-1.07 = .38

.38x82 =31.16