Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fastmiele

Discontinued equipment

1. Modano has been wearing them since long before the 8090 was released

2. His skates have been custom made for years

3. He doesn't like the newer gear, he just can't bring himself to change gloves why would he suddenly abandon the skates that he has been wearing for more than a decade?

Modano wears around a C/AA so I can not see how his skates would fit like 8090's. Just to end this argument.

Take a look at some pictures of Modo on Getty. The guy has been in the league since 88-89, he's been using the same style skate for years. Except for this picture...still has the old style holders though.

55159869ez5.jpg

Modano wears around a C/AA so I can not see how his skates would fit like 8090's. Just to end this argument.

Yes, he wears a size 9.5 A/AA left & 9.5 C/AA right.

Here are three pics of "Benders" and their skate of choice :)

A couple of them are considered amongst the best skaters to play the game.

Mario6.jpg

Gartner.jpg

Coffey3.jpg

Slappy...Mo's tacks arent tacks.. they are built to specs of 8090's with tack 'look'

Wow...do you even play hockey?

Mario6.jpg

Gartner.jpg

if those are 950 tacks, then that's the same boot i have. i can't read the number on the tongue.

Mario6.jpg

Gartner.jpg

Coffey3.jpg

Note that those are from long ago, obviously kovalev doesn't wear them anymore and the other two don't play anymore. Also understand it was sort of a joke....But lets be honest, around the rinks these days if you see someone sporting these, they probably aren't ripping it up

And Epstud..don't dismiss that without knowing for sure. I know the equipment guy for Dallas, as well as two different reps who supply the Stars. I happen to know this to be true about his skates, sorry to disapoint you.

Mario6.jpg

Gartner.jpg

Coffey3.jpg

Note that those are from long ago, obviously kovalev doesn't wear them anymore and the other two don't play anymore. Also understand it was sort of a joke....But lets be honest, around the rinks these days if you see someone sporting these, they probably aren't ripping it up

And Epstud..don't dismiss that without knowing for sure. I know the equipment guy for Dallas, as well as two different reps who supply the Stars. I happen to know this to be true about his skates, sorry to disapoint you.

Umm maybe because they dont make them anymore?? If you're from TX, I'm guessing you're a relative newcomer to hockey I guess..I dont doubt for a minute that the latest great players do not wear CCM Tacks, most likely due to the fact that they're not made anymore? A lot of older players at the rink are still sporting CCM Pro Tacks and I'm willing to bet a lot of them can tear it up still. That being said, Modano and Chelios still wear Tacks..end of story..Why would Modano be wearing a 8090 boot when it is glaringly obvious that the only similarity between the two skates are the toecap?

I will agree that the older style Tacks, the ones like my own, are a bit old school but I wouldn't go as far as to assume that because a player wears older gear or less than top end skates that that player can't make you look like a chump on the ice. I'm not a great player but I have played with an ex-minor pro that could make everyone else on the ice look like crap and he always wore old stuff from his days with the Indianapolis Checkers.

Rick Henry

Mack why are you saying he's the "coolest guy evar" when he's simply stating a fact with what he says is credible information..Do you, as with the other 'mods' have special posting privileges and can just rip on people for what they post? Maybe you do, but if so..it doesn't make much sense to me. Just my two cents...

Annnyways, back on topic: I agree that people, such as myself, who wear Tacks are generally older guys still playing for the love of the game...or something like that...maybe not the best of players, but I don't mind going out for the adult drop in with my kid..I agree though, i haven't really seen many good young players wearing Tacks who really stand out.

And epstud, being from TX is in no way indicative as to how a person is involved in hockey. That may be the most ignorant thing I have read on this site in a while.

Do these look like 8090s dressed up as 652 Tacks?? I own a pair of Bauer 8090s and cannot see anything similar.

modanotripmn1.jpg

Mikko Koivu is going to have to get a new pair of skates otherwise his game

will suffer

all i can tell you, and all i have ever said is what I know, and have been told. The sources are credible as i noted earlier, they would know more than me about what he is wearing. It is more an interior/stiffness/feel change..because the aesthetics are clearly unchanged to the naked eye, obviously it is hard to tell unless you actually had a chance to check it out for yourself. As for being from Texas and not knowing about hockey, i would agree that is one of the most ignorant things i've seen posted on this site, and that is saying something

Mack why are you saying he's the "coolest guy evar" when he's simply stating a fact with what he says is credible information..Do you, as with the other 'mods' have special posting privileges and can just rip on people for what they post? Maybe you do, but if so..it doesn't make much sense to me. Just my two cents...

Annnyways, back on topic: I agree that people, such as myself, who wear Tacks are generally older guys still playing for the love of the game...or something like that...maybe not the best of players, but I don't mind going out for the adult drop in with my kid..I agree though, i haven't really seen many good young players wearing Tacks who really stand out.

And epstud, being from TX is in no way indicative as to how a person is involved in hockey. That may be the most ignorant thing I have read on this site in a while.

Credible? Okay, should we let all the people name-drop without consequence then? Besides, anyone who actually uses "bender" reeks of someone who doesn't actually know anything hockey-related anyway.

Credible? Okay, should we let all the people name-drop without consequence then? Besides, anyone who actually uses "bender" reeks of someone who doesn't actually know anything hockey-related anyway.

actually using the word Bender? what hockey player doesn't use the term? honestly, Every team i have ever played on, from midget to junior to college...everyone uses that term

HAHAHAAOOOOOOOOOOOOH BURN! That's pretty good coming from a grocery stick. Oh yes, let's pull up the ol' JHB and get this lolfest going.

Edit: Before I make you actually look up some of these awesome "carves" why don't you just answer the questions about Modano's skates not looking 8090ish? Warm up with that, buttercup.

HAHAHAAOOOOOOOOOOOOH BURN! That's pretty good coming from a grocery stick. Oh yes, let's pull up the ol' JHB and get this lolfest going.

Edit: Before I make you actually look up some of these awesome "carves" why don't you just answer the questions about Modano's skates not looking 8090ish? Warm up with that, buttercup.

I don't need to look up any carves mack, Ive played hockey.. Ive heard them. Did I not explain my knowledge of the skates a couple mins ago?