Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fatwabbit

Chest protection for Inline

Like the title says, anyone use chest pads/hybrid pads for inline? I've got some coming on the way, but just wanted to know if anyone uses chest pads/hybrid pads?

Dont want to look like I'm overkilling it, but spending the last few years working with safety really made me think twice about the protective gear I;m using.

I hate to use that padded shirt. Even though its a good idea, I cant get comfortable in those. I also overheat while im in one so I gave up on that after about 2 tries. I dont think that many people use those but thats just in Southern California

Weather here in Perth is pretty alright. Real dry, so sweat dries up quick. The temps dropping now, and we have a range of about 18deg C when I play at night, so its pretty cool.

Like the title says, anyone use chest pads/hybrid pads for inline? I've got some coming on the way, but just wanted to know if anyone uses chest pads/hybrid pads?

Dont want to look like I'm overkilling it, but spending the last few years working with safety really made me think twice about the protective gear I;m using.

not usually... only when I used to play full-contact did I wear any sort of chest/shoulder protection for roller....

Ive taken many shots to the stomach, chest and its not too bad.. even with the puck. I usually hurt myself when my stick gets caught in the net or boards and I spear myself. I like the least amount of equipment though, still looking at soccer shins :lol:

I played goalie before without hockey pants on, so it doesnt bother me. I'm more worried about spinal injuries and stuff like that... my wife gave up her career and job to come over with me to Oz, so it just makes me more wary about the responsibilities I have as a husband and father... sounds ironic doesnt it, using safety as an excuse to hoard more gear...

Pfffttt WA guys could never hit/shoot that hard anways... ;)

Seriously but Fatty, I've been playing Inline in Aus now for 10 years, taken many pucks etc to the body and its never effected me. Played Nationals as well and copped boardings and mid ice hits and still been fine. You are at a very, very low risk of spinal inury in ice little though inline. There's really no need for the padded shirt.

I have one. I wore it for a few minutes playing inline and took it off. I wore it for 2 games on ice (I don't wear shoulders over here) and took it off. It fit weird, felt weird, and I didn't move well in it. Plus the protection was just an inch or two of soft foam padding (at least the one I had). Like you, I was thinking of the increased safety factor, but I didn't see the added help once I got my hands on my pair.

haha... no prob. Aussie Joe, you're the first to call me Fatty...

When I played goalie, it was back in Singapore, my signature save was to take slappers to the cage... anyway, I've got the thorax coming, so will just try it out. Doesnt bother me about all the gear, I'll still bring it along, and I find that I have a peace of mind after that.

I used to use a small chest pad without the shoulders and arm protectors. Really, the most important thing to protect is the sternum, because it honestly can hurt for a long time afterwards if the bone ends up getting bruised, or worse. Ribs generally can take some beating, but the free feeling of playing without it overcomes the fear of being nailed.

I stopped wearing the pad when I was 12, and the girdle finally came off earlier this year, at 15. I'm 16 now, but really, if it doesn't affect you too much, always better to wear one and be safe than to regret it later when you're in the ambulance.

I wear the shirt and the inline girdle. When it gets to be in the 40s it's also nice for extra warmth.

But the main reason I wear it is the crap I take in front of the net, hacks, cross-checks etc.

I took a slapshot to the back part of my leg, I had a huge bruise for two weeks. It started from around where the puck hit me then as it healed I had a bruise where the puck actually hit. Lots of deep colors ;-)

When you have to go to work the next morning you'll do whatever makes your job easier.

I usually wear another shirt under my jersey anyways, so doesnt really bother me about heating up (used to play in singapore with temp in the high 90s and humidity about 60-70%)

LIke ultimus, my main reason to get the thorax is to protect myself from all the hacks and cross checks. Not too worried about getting hit by the puck (I've caught pucks bare handed before, so it doesnt bother me...)

if you have any doubts then use it and that goes for anything. it only takes one time to hurt your back and it only takes one time to lose an eye. my advise is to just use what ever protective equitment you want and don't base your decision on anyone here.

I've tried wearing one of those Hyper padded shirts a few summers ago. It got unbearably hot after like 10 minutes of use. Ended up trading the padded shirt for a new under armor shirt to a friend that's a shot blocking defenseman.

Played a game last night, ended up losing 6-5, but it was a real good game.

I usually play in front of the goalie, to deflect/tip shots, and basically I got hammered quite a number of times by the defenceman last night. I managed to tip two shots from the point, but both ended up hitting the top of the goalie pads

I'm guessing that the thorax is gonna be a good thing... cause my back is a little sore now..

It wont do anything honestly. Its only light protection. If your getting hammered in front of the net A) You need to teach your D-man to shoot low B) Look for something more protective or C) Get out of the front of the net.

It wont do anything honestly. Its only light protection. If your getting hammered in front of the net A) You need to teach your D-man to shoot low B) Look for something more protective or C) Get out of the front of the net.

I think the defensemen that fatwabbit mentioned was the one defending the net. He got hammered as in pushed around, thus, his back is sore.

yea, ATLstealth09 got it right. I usually stand in front of the goalie to block his view, and try to tip in shots. The D-man was trying to push me out of the way, and i reckon i got crossed checked about 3 times during the game.

You could wear really thin ice hockey shoulder pads. I think a few companies make models for people who hate to wear them but must.

if you have any doubts then use it and that goes for anything. it only takes one time to hurt your back and it only takes one time to lose an eye. my advise is to just use what ever protective equitment you want and don't base your decision on anyone here.

This is really good advice.. We play pickup type hockey at an outdoor rink every week, and no one wears any facial protection. I used to wear a helmet, but i havent worn one in a couple of months... But everytime I think about Yzerman getting his eye socket shattered it makes me want to start wearing it again... We usually try to avoid slap shots when someone is in front of the net, but with one timers you're usually following the puck and not looking up to see if anyone got in front of you. Plus, it only takes one bad deflection to have it pop up and lose an eye... Its not like we have the NHL to pay for our medical bills either. Thanks for reminding me how much of an idiot i've been, haha. I'll have to dust off my helmet again...

I bought one for my fiance because, since she is so short, her chest gets rubbed along the rail cap on the boards and we have to protect the "goods". She really likes it and is more confident with it on. I haven't used the padded shirt but I must say that I'm quite impressed with the Thorax Advantage girdle. I've been using a Bauer Supreme girdle for years and now with the Mission, it feels like I'm wearing nothing. All the leagues I've played in, the play gets real physical, especially when your going "all out" into the boards for a puck along with another guy. I can't tell you how many times I've been slammed into some part of the net While crashing it. Without my girdle I'd be using a walker right now.

yea...i've since sold the visor... am now back to trusty ol' cage. Got hit in the cage last night...

funny thing too, a bunch of us turned up early, and were just shooting the breeze. we talked about using a cage vs visor, and the rink owner was just saying that he's thinking of using a cage the next time. well, low and behold he gets clipped by a stick in the lip... and was telling us to shut the fuck up the next time... bad karma... ooooooo