Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Nike Bauer One90 Shin Pad

BAUER ONE90 SHIN GUARDS

Time used: 2 months (20+ times)

Reviewer: 5'8" 170 lbs, rec league winger

Fit

Of all the 14" shin guards I tried on, these were the tightest fitting. I believe it is a combination of the slimmer design and the floating shin system used in this model. Because I have slimmer calves and shins, these fit perfectly whereas most other 14" shin guards fit too big. There is one very large strap that incorporates a calf protector and one smaller one just above the calf. The large strap is very secure but the top seems to allow too much play, so I need to use shin tape for a more secure fit. Although it fits very well, I am still conscious of the fact I have them on, and I would say that there could be a better strap system. 8/10

Protection

Although I haven't taken a great deal of shots off these guards, I haven't felt anything through them. I did hit the boards knee first and these pads didn't provide much help as I hit the top of the knee (even with the extended knee flaps). The calf protector is the best I've found; there is a thick piece of perforated rubber/plastic that would absorb quite a bit of impact. 9/10

Weight

Although the shin guard has a very slim design, there's quite a bit of padding and protection that adds some weight. It does seem to be lighter than my old Bauer 4000 guards, but it's really not a big factor for me. 9/10

Durability

I can't comment on the long-term, but the stitching of the guards seems to be very well done and the materials feel pretty solid. The paint/finish started scuffing of pretty easily, but that is only cosmetic. My old Bauer 4000's held up incredibly well, but I'll decline to rate these due to brevity of use.

Intangibles

I really like the fit of the pads and protection. They are suited to a winger's game: slim and light weight, plenty of calf protection from goalies chopping in the crease, and the floating shin seems more to protection for falls and large impacts rather than shot blocking. I ended up tucking the extended knee flaps back in the shins as they would catch on my pants while skating. Also, they seem to be just a hair shorter than standard guards, so if you prefer to wear your guards over the skate tongues, double check the fit.

Conclusion

These are solid, slim pads with plenty of protection for any level forward. Defensemen and shot-blockers may want to look at larger pads.

Overall 9/10

Update on 3/10/10 (after another two years): Everything is still 100% on this pad just like brand new. No cracks, gouges, nothing falling apart. Well done, Bauer.

Edited by Jarick

BAUER ONE90 SHIN GUARDS

Time used: 10 months

Reviewer: Defenseman. 6 feet, 3.5 inches - 212 lbs.

Fit

These guards fit very nicely. I do not like my shins to slide around, and I don't like being forced to use tape to keep them snug. These remain nice and snug from the two straps on the back of the pad. They are a bit on the slim side, but not so narrow that you can't have them on the outside of the skate tongue, if you are like me...10/10

Protection

Here is where the pads fail in a major way. The inside of the knee cap has some hard plastic, honeycomb looking thing. I don't know if this was supposed to protect your knees, but it hurts like hell if you happen to land squarely on it. In fact, I have bruised my knee caps because of this hard plastic, and ended up with bruises with the honeycomb outline. I actually went out of my way to find another pair as I thought mine were missing something to cover the knee area and the honeycomb "cushion." I have taken quite a few slappers of the knees, these seem to perform fine in that regard. However, I have to rate these real low due to the simple fact that I have fallen on my knees and been hurt from the honeycomb cushioning that's supposed to protect.4/10

Weight

I don't really care about weight, these seems to be fine though. Not too heavy, not too light. 8.5/10

Durability

My left shin cracked within 1 year of moderate use. I play in a beginner to intermediate beerleague, most of the slappers don't have much heat behind them. I cannot even determine what cracked it. I know it occurred in a league game, but I do not remember taking any slappers off my shins, therefore it must have happened when I lost an edge and went down on my knee.4/10

Intangibles

One thing I like about these are the straps. The top strap is real cushioned and stretchy,as opposed to a basic, no-frills nylon strap with velcro on it. I am probably going to remove the straps and use them in my new shins that are replacing these (Reebok 10K.) . Another thing I liked about these is the inner lining. It removes easily with velcro and seems solid. I have had other shin pads were the inner lining would start to roll inward and deform. This lining kept its shape, and does fine in the washing machine.

Conclusion

When it comes to gear, my philosophy is simple: The best gear is the stuff you never think about. That was the case most of the time, except when I would go down on my knees and have a honeycomb tattoo for a few days afterwards...

These shin pads have let me down. At the level I play, I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect them to last a bit longer.

Overall:

6.5/10

Edited by Jeff

BAUER ONE90 SHIN GUARDS

Time used: 2 years

Reviewer: 6'2" 210lbs, beer league forward

Fit

I picked these up from a fellow member after one of the knee caps cracked on my Nike V14 pads. The One90s were definitely more comfortable when I first put them on, but even when done up tightly they moved around a little which didn't happen with the V14s. I had to use tape to make them fit more securely. It's a narrow fitting pad compared to other top end pads like RBK/Jofa and the very bottom indents - I wore them under the tongue. The size I wore was 15", but that left a gap between the top of my boot and the skate - this isn't a problem with the pads themselves, but I should've been using 16" pads for more complete protection. 8/10

Protection

I was hit a couple times in the gap just above the skate and just under the calf protector, but that was my own fault for wearing one size smaller than I should have. I didn't have any non-size related issues with the protection, but I definitely don't block a lot of shots. 9/10

Weight

For a high end pad with a good amount of protection it's pretty light. 9/10

Durability

The outside of the pads did scuff and the graphics wore off in some places, but that was purely cosmetic. I did hear of people having knee cap issues with these pads and that happened to me with the Nike V14s that I believe used the same caps, but it didn't happen with One90 pads. Some of the stitching in the middle of the removable liner came out, but I did wash the linters once or twice a week for about 2 years so they were pretty durable. 8/10

Intangibles

I like the removeable liner and the grip print on the pads. The removable liner combined with airing the pads out and/or running them through the Shock Doctor blower bag I have helped keep germs and stink away.

Conclusion

These are good, light weight, comfortable pads. The knee caps may not last for everyone and the strapping system could be even more secure, but overall I was satisfied with the pads for the time I used them. The only reason I stopped using them was due to a sizing error on my part - I really needed 16" pads.

Overall 8/10

Edited by althoma1