Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slapshotsteve73

Lacrosse Gear For Hockey?

I have a friend who plays lacrosse and is interested in playing hockey. He was wondering if he could use his shoulder pads and possibly his gloves for hockey so that he wouldn't have to spend as much on equipment. Is Lacrosse gear like shoulder pads and gloves protective and durable enough for hockey? Thanks in advance

its looks as though warrior gloves and warrior shoulders would be ok for hockey, im not too sure about the other companies, but IMO its better to buy equipment that is specified for hockey

You can probably get away with the shoulder pads if it's just a beer league type deal. But the gloves will leave you vulnerable on certain parts of your wrist. (Below your palm) And the protection in the fingers is a bit different. Lacrosse gloves focus mostly on the top of the fingers while hockey gloves have protection on the top and both sides.

You dont need to worry about sticks sliding up your stick in lax, whereas that happens pretty often in hockey. So, LAX gloves shouldnt be used.

Lacrosse elbow pads for hockey would work tho. I know a few kids that do that and they say they're easier to move with them compared to regular hockey elbows.

what level of hockey will he be playing, and whats his skating ability? if hes just starting out and playing drop in/shinny type hockey hed probably be able to get away with both the gloves and shoulders, but id want some good elbow pads.

High end lacrosse equipment should be fine, I used my lax shoulders for my ACHA college hockey but I would never use the gloves.

I was thinking about getting a pair of warrior lacrosse shoulder pads. Would they provide alot more ventilation compared to a pair made specifically for hockey?

I was thinking about getting a pair of warrior lacrosse shoulder pads. Would they provide alot more ventilation compared to a pair made specifically for hockey?

Yeah, they would provide for more ventilation, but they lack protection IMO. Lacrosse gear is aimed more towards slashes, not necesarily contact and checking, but if you play in a non-contact or light contact league you should be fine, although I would not recommend it...

To the OP, I'd use the shoulder pads if they are good ones in a non-check league. But I'd pick up some hockey gloves, even if they are cheaper.

To the above guy, I've shopped around looking at lacrosse shoulders, but I picked up the Sherwood 5030's and they are amazing. They're $30 I think, you can't go wrong. Comparable lacrosse shoulders are twice that much.

Yeah, they would provide for more ventilation, but they lack protection IMO. Lacrosse gear is aimed more towards slashes, not necesarily contact and checking, but if you play in a non-contact or light contact league you should be fine, although I would not recommend it...

I'm not sure if you have ever played lacrosse, but lacrosse shoulder pads are made for hitting because there is an immense amount of checking in outdoor lacrosse.

I used Warrior Players Club 6.0 shoulders that were more ventilated and better protecting than most hockey shoulders I had used.

I used to play against a team of guys that were all lacrosse players, and a lot of them wore lacrosse gloves, and the things certainly didn't look like they'd protect you from anything. Also, those guys were like the dirtiest players who ever lived.

Yeah, gloves definitely would be a bad call.

Especially because there are no plastic inserts and they are designed more for mobility.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that lacrosse gloves are flexible where as a lot of hockey gloves have lock thumbs that help prevent hyper extension, so you may risk hyper extending your thumbs using lacrosse gloves.