Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zola

Emery offered $$$$ to wear NIKE BAUER Supreme SE pads

the guy from snipeshowhockey.com told me that Nike Bauer offered Ray Emery an endorsment deal which involved wearing the new Supreme SE pads but turned it down and will most likely be wearing brians again next season. apparently the offer was worth alot of $$$.

to be honest, i cant see Emery wearing anything other than brians. it just suits him and his style..

the Brians rep was telling these guys that b/c emery is a big guy and likes a really stiff pad (like his Dx2's).. hes comfortable with what hes using and unless NBH designs him specs exactly the way he wants he wont be wearing NB.

Targetting Emery is a smart marketing move on Bauer's part, but an odd one (s Zola said) from a gear standpoint. Bauer's pads are nothing like DX2s, and if Emery did end up in Bauer, he'd be wearing their logos on a DX2 clone.

Frankly, I think Bauer's long-term strategy of hooking as many good, young US college and European goalies as possible is going to pay off very well, provided they pony up to keep them using Supremes in the show.

Right, because there are no goalies in the NHL wearing a pad that is nothing more than the logos and graphics of the endorsement company.

::m

Give me a break, pal.

The point I assumed (wrongly) that you would infer is that a lot of people - I'm talking about off-the-street consumers here - get frustrated when they buy a pad with a certain pro goalie's name on it, only to realise a few weeks later, watching the game, that it's nothing like what he's wearing. It's a completely disingenuous but undeniably effective marketing ploy. Notice how I mentioned that before I started talking about construction.

It might sell a few more pads to pretend that Emery was wearing a Bauer, but I hope that's not the RBK-ish, business-first image Bauer's courting these days. Again, as I clearly said before, I think they're much better off getting their pads onto the next generations of goalies, thereby gaining substantive rather than purely facetious product-placement.

Not your pal so give me a break.

It's not an odd move at all. Look at what CCM and now RBK has done with Brodeur. Think that that doesn't sell pads? Sure it does. RBK is hardly the only company doing it, even if you or I can't tell. Bauer doing the same with Emery just makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Doesn't mean that Emery is willing to take the cash and run tho.

Does the grass roots approach make sense? Sure but the gains in market share are much more long term and I'm sure that they are looking to make an impact now.

I did see a whole bunch of new Bauer gear at the skills competition for the college players this year, on both men's and women's participants. As long as it wasn't mandated then I think that it is a solid approach to take.

Goalies at teh NCAA Skills competiton were given the option of trying out NBH pads before the skills event and if they liked them they could were them during the event but if they did not like them they could wear their original gear

Wasn't the AHL deal a logos only deal? In other words, you can wear whatever you want but RBK/CCM are the only logos allowed to be visible.

No, I think you misunderstand my point. I was agreeing that there was a deal of sorts but not that nothing else could be used, just no other logos could be visible. Somewhat idiotic as most people (goalies anyhow) recognize gear from the graphics not the logos.

Nah, I think you misunderstood me misunderstanding your point (<--did I get that right?).

In that first post, I thought that AHL goalies could ONLY use CCM/RBK pads, so I said that it was a good idea because if that CCM/RBK wearer got called up, he would still be wearing the CCM/RBK pads, thus creating lots of CCM/RBK users in the NHL.

Then, after you said it was a logos only deal, I apologized for my ignorance.

You can't mandate a certain brand of equipment, can you (entire league-wise)?

In the CCHA a few years back, the Nike Bauer deal was League Wide. Everything Exterior had to be Nike or Bauer, except skates and sticks, and Goaltenders, although One had to have NBH (usually the third third stringer). But there was a provision that if you got I think at least 90% of the team in Nike/Bauer skates, that they would provide that Goalie Gear for free.

Wasn't the AHL deal a logos only deal? In other words, you can wear whatever you want but RBK/CCM are the only logos allowed to be visible.

that was for players gear only

Also most Div I college teams are sponsored by a manufactuer yet the goalies are free to wear what thay want in most cases but are pushed into the sponsers gear

I just assumed the team mass ordered equipment (helmets, gloves maybe?) and it was just easier to use those rather than go and get thier own stuff, plus it looks kinda cool when everybody wears the same stuff.

You may not know that, but next year in the NHL (available in middle 2008 in retail stores) NBH will release a new line of Supreme gear. The pads will be close to the RBK Premier2. So, not so far from the DX2.

So it would be smart to target Emery for the new line. I heard that NBH new goal line will be targeting directly RBK users.

I heven't heard anything about the gloves though.