Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puck You 25

Full Contact Adult League

Anyone play full contact in their adult league? I'm in Columbus, which is a pretty new market, and the lawyers run the damn rinks, so we only play non-contact. <_< Needless to say, this limits an untalented individual like myself to things like... you know... skating, and... uh... pokechecking... Just curious to see if anyone out there gets to play real hockey. :lol:

There is one league like that around here but it is an elite level adult hockey. I doubt you will ever find a lower level full contact league, mostly due to the increased likelyhood of serious injury.

Good point, JR... forgot abuot how fired up guys get around here anyway. I was originally thinking elite level adult league anyway. If it EVER happens around here, it'll be elite level, I'm sure, and we'll have to sign a waiver. I would prefer if maybe the "A" league were contact, and you had to have some proof of ability or something. I dunno. B)

A kid from a team in our division pulled a knife on a kid from another team in the parking lot this year. How ef'ed up is that.

ive had a kid from my team pull a knife on another kid from my team. now thats f'd up.

All we play is non contact. Last year 2 guys ran into each other going for the puck, and the one guy (a lawyer) tried to sue the other guy for assault. Said he aggrivated a back injury or somethuing like that. His lawyers called everyone who was on the ice that day to ask what happened. We all said "part of the game...nothing malicious."

In the end a few guys took him aside, and said "listen, you'll never play hockey in this city again if this continues" (not a threat, jsut stating fact hat no one wanted the guy in their group) The suit ended up getting dropped, and I think the guy still plays (but not with our group).

Is it the lawyer or the guy who collided with the lawyer that doesn't play in the group anymore? I'm sort of shocked at the responses...knives, lawyers, jeez. And I think that parents who sit in the stands with a stop watch and time how much ice time their kid gets have problems.

There is no full check adult hockey where I live, but we have a gentlemen's agreement that allows "contact," i.e., light checking in the corners, but no Scott Stevens open ice hits. Of the full contact hockey leagues I've seen, Chadd is right: elite level. Ex-NHLers, Minor players and former D1 players who just can't adjust to non-check hockey. The can play check hockey because they can and still be safe, long after the rest of us have gotten lazy and sore. There are enough "balls out ozzy" people with sticks and razors strapped to their feet like RadioGaGa's post that I can honestly say I feel scared enough without having to worry about looking at the puck for a second to long.

In our Rec league no.

On our mens Div 1 travel team its no different than when most of us played Jr.

Lots of fans, city to city hatred, intense stuff. Trying for the Doyle cup, but it'll be a few years. Most of the guys are 23-25, whereas the other teams tend to be a fair bit older.

Maybe some of you "full contact types" should try out for an MLRH inline team? It's full contact , with "icing"(flooring?) and a simplified offside....and not many incidents off rink once the game is over...most teams go out with each other for a few after the game...

MLRH once had a rep as being "pure goon hockey" but that has largely changed over the last couple of years.....the hockey part has gotten much stronger and the goonery is minimized....still a few bouts, but at least there is usually some legitimate beef which initiates things..not just pure thuggery.

Is it the lawyer or the guy who collided with the lawyer that doesn't play in the group anymore?

The lawyer (who began the legal crap) doesn't play anymore...the other guy plays a lot with us, and every time he brushes against someone we all make the "wait for the lawsuit" joke!