Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

WHA Draft

He signed a one year deal. I guess Toronto owns his rights over all other WHA teams. Fleury, Bertuzzi, and Perezhogin all got drafted.

how does this work? do players opt to enter themselves into the draft, or are the teams picking anyone they want and hope that they come play?

I'm pretty sure the league is just drafting random players on the hopes or knowledge that they can make them want to play.

Some players won't want to go play in Europe for family reasons, so better to take a chance then not taking one at all.

If you notice, it seems that Hamilton and Toronto are taking a lot of players who play with the Leafs and are from Toronto, and Quebec is taking a lot of French Canadians.

For a 14 round draft Hamilton took alot of goalies. Potvin, Dafoe and Garon (in that order) plus Rob Ray and Jim Cummins. Looks like it'll be a fun year in the Hammer. Is the draft over and is there a possibility Crosby would be signed? I was hoping he played just to see'em a bit.

Makes sense, Kosydar. If you want people to come watch your games, and pay to get in, it's a good thing to have a couple hometown boys to rally around, as opposed to a bunch of dudes you've never heard of before.

Well not only that, but I'm sure Gange, Oulette, ect. are more likely to play for a Quebec team than a Florida one, just because its where they live.

Pretty interesting choices. No Crosby or Ovechkin yet, but Travis Green is #2 overall. Nice mixture of vets and prospects.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/

The junior draft will be tomorrow(sunday), that's why Crosby and Ovechkin weren't picked today. I am surprised, about no Mario Lemieux and Gretzky, they picked Dougy and Stephane Richer, so why not them?!?

Pretty interesting choices.  No Crosby or Ovechkin yet, but Travis Green is #2 overall.  Nice mixture of vets and prospects. 

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/

The junior draft will be tomorrow(sunday), that's why Crosby and Ovechkin weren't picked today. I am surprised, about no Mario Lemieux and Gretzky, they picked Dougy and Stephane Richer, so why not them?!?

Both of them are in NHL ownership positions, there is ZERO chance of either playing in the WHA.

so my question is, if the CBA clears up, are these players drafted in any way contractually stuck in the WHA? I am kinda surprised at some of the names I have seen.

so my question is, if the CBA clears up, are these players drafted in any way contractually stuck in the WHA? I am kinda surprised at some of the names I have seen.

The odds of the higher profile players signing with the WHA are pretty low. You may have some of the fourth line guys sign to make sure they have income or guys who aren't happy with their NHL team but not many top names.

ok, so these guys that were drafted dont necessarily want to play in the WHA right? They are just drafting for the rights to deal with them?

Hey look at Gordie *Gordie/lifts his elbow* he was in his 40's ans still playing in that league, so age isn't a factor, alot of guy's back then were leacign the NHL to go finish their career's in the WHA because the calibre was less physical. But yes their association with the NHL would be an obstacle.

If you notice, it seems that Hamilton and Toronto are taking a lot of players who play with the Leafs and are from Toronto, and Quebec is taking a lot of French Canadians.

I guess the guy who owns the Hamilton franchise is a Bulldogs fan. He want's to bring back Michael Ryder...that would be great, but as far as I know The Bulldogs still havent' given permission for this WHA team to play out of Copps. Maybe they can take up residence in Mountain Arena where the Jr. B team plays (Soon to be renamed Dave Andreychuk Arena).

This whole WHA thing is silly...out of this "draft" how many of these players have actually agreed to play? Or this is simply a "rights to talk to them about playing" kind of thing.

Whatever...hopefully Bettman and Goodenow can get everything worked out and we won't have to worry about it.

(If you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of the idea of a rival league)

Cheers.

Yeah, but this will not be like the old WHA. As of now, most see this as a joke.

Gretzky's too smart to ruin his accomplishments as well. He knew when to quit. Gordie went a little too far.

Yeah I personally see it as a joke, I don't believe it will work, they started talking about it like 5 years ago, and suddenly you see drafts and teams some names aren't even announced. It will probably end up beeing a semi-pro league were all the fun of beeing there is because of the spectacle and not for the quality of the play.

Depends on how their contract is structured. There'll probably have an escape clause.

I suppose a NHL owner can be a prick and be like "Well, you jumped to the WHA, I don't want to take you back."

If the WHA really gets off the ground, and survives when the NHL comes back, it'll be what the IHL was...a minor-league system with a few NHL affiliations, which catered to veterans (as the AHL has a veterans cap)

I guess the guy who owns the Hamilton franchise is a Bulldogs fan. He want's to bring back Michael Ryder...that would be great, but as far as I know The Bulldogs still havent' given permission for this WHA team to play out of Copps. Maybe they can take up residence in Mountain Arena where the Jr. B team plays (Soon to be renamed Dave Andreychuk Arena).

Last I heard there was structural damage and nobody will be able to play out of past Christmas (around there). Then the teams currently playing at Mountain arena (which I would assume would be the Red Wings) will move to the quad pad. If there isn't the seats in the quad pad for the Red Wings I would assume chedoke. Looks like Mountain arena won't be an option although it probably would've suited them the best.

According to the local newspaper 24 players who have played in Hershey were drafted in the free agent draft. I could see some of the prospects going to the WHA so they can get paid more than in the CHL.