Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

To Weave or Not to Weave?

Just a curiosity question, I'm just getting into playing net, and am currently just borrowing EQ, but I am slowly getting my own stuff. I pretty much know what I want in a set of pads, but the question I'm stuck on is the Weave material. Are there any actual advantages and/or drawbacks to having one or the other, or is it just an aesthetic choice? I'm not totally sold on the look of it, but if it does have some pros to it, I will surely consider it.

The weave is the exact same material as the smooth jenpro, just a different pattern. It wears the same, slides the same, is exactly the same except for the look.

Jimmy got it right... ^

I've never noticed any difference between the two materials. The weight and charecteristics remain the same regardless of which you choose. It all comes down to appearance. Old school goalies will always prefer the non-weave, the younger goalies coming up in the game seem to migrate towards the weave...

Thats what I was talking about, the weave/Jenpro vs straight leather. What makes it more Slide prone on the ice? Is it a different material, or the way it's made? How does it Wear (durability) vs Traditional leather, and it's use on Gloves, is that just preference for looks, or are there any advantages or not for the gloves, like faster break in, softer feel, etc...

I know this sounds pretty elementary, but I want to be fully educated before I spend a couple grand on something that I'm not gonna like and be able to use and enjoy for years on end

Actually, no one is using "traditional leather" any longer. It is all synthetic leathers. There are no differences amongst the types based purely on whether or not they are weave (ie Jenpro weave vs Jenpro smooth). They weigh and perform the same.

There are differences in the synthtic leather types available. But as long as you realize that anything made in North America is going to be using either Jenpro or Clarino you won't notice any difference. The difference comes into play in products made offshore. The materials available there are vastly different than what we have available over here and in most instances are much thinner and less durable.

So if you want durable equipment look for the "made in xxxx" tag.

North America = good

Europe = better check

China/Taiwan etc = poor

If you are shopping price.

China/Taiwan etc = inexpensive

North America = best value

Europe = expensive when factoring in shipping

All that having been said. I do know that certain manufacturers will build real leather (not synthetic) gear. I recently saw a Vaughn set sold on eBay through Goalie Heaven that was done that way. However, I would not recommend real leather. The main reasons most equipment companies switched to synthetic are:

1) it doesn't absorb/retain water

2) the colour is more uniform

3) it doesn't weaken when wet

4) it doesn't dry out/harden when dry

Hope this sufficiently answers your question.

I will also add that they do not make a difference, they are the same! It is all appearance.

But I will add that maybe you should work on your leg strength, the material does help sliding but I would say work on your sliding, and don't look into the material to do the work.

I know you are asking what is the difference, but I just don't want you to think that weave will make you slide better, when really it is yourself who makes you slide better.

The only real difference between Weave/Robocop and 'flat' Jenpro (which is actually embossed with a faux leather grain), apart from appearance, is how they wear. Flat Jenpro will wear more or less like leather, while Weave tends to flake away. This is, I'm told, because there actually is a slight material difference between the two: Weave has a metallic film coating which is pressed into the surface when it's embossed with the woven pattern. As the material wears, the film flakes away, taking the surface colour with it.

There is no difference in sliding. The only way to substantiate that claim is for the same person to have worn two pairs of the same pads under the same conditions: one with Weave, one with Jenpro. Even then, it'd still be anecdotal; just slightly more meaningful.

There is a synthetic leather called Bucky - used to make vintage-style brown pads - which is heavier and does collect more snow and moisture than Jenpro. It looks like untreated leather.

See, even I learned something new today :P

Most now choose a mix of weave and flat when they design their pads. The mix looks good.

Ya. My Velo 1s are black/silver weave/red, and I love 'em. I don't like the look of all weave or all flat colouring. Unless it's black. You'd think I was a goth or something :blink: