Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OhMyGodImOnFire

Glove Breaks

I guess this question's stupidity level would rank around being an forward asking what a "lie" is, but nevertheless...

Is a palm break a break where the "break" in the glove rests on your palm, and a finger break where the spot on your hand between the bottom of the fingers and the top of the palm on the break?

*Sorry, run on sentence....

I recently was in the market for a new glove, and now retrospectively wonder if the gloves I tried on were too small, or they just had a different break than I was used to. I used to use the mission helium, which was more of a palm break, I guess. Then I tried on a glove that had more of a finger break, and I thought it was too small.

Goalie gloves (trappers) are probably the single hardest piece of equipment to fit. There are as many different styles, shapes and sizes out there as there are companies that make them. AND, not all goalies are looking for the same thing.

The three major considerations are:

hand break - where the joint in the glove is in relation to your hand. (this is what you touched on in your question) Gloves like Brian's and Koho use a "finger" break while gloves like Vaughn and Mission use a "palm" break.

handbreak.jpg

break angle - the actual angle the break in the glove makes in conjunction to your hand. Examples of this are the Vaughn Velocity which uses a 60 degree break and the Koho which uses a 90 degree break.

anglebreak.jpg

break style - the form of the break itself. The three types are "C" "U" and "V". With both the "C" and "U" breaks the palm of the glove doesn't have one defined break point but actually wraps around several smaller breaks. With the "V" break there is one (actually two) well defined break points that the glove snaps around.

glovebreak.jpg

Once you know what "style" that you like you can significantly narrow down your search but ultimately you will need to stick your hand in as many different brand gloves as you can to ultimately find out what fits your hand

the best.

Hope this answers your question...

Thanks, Netminder. Since a palm break was the only thing I had known, I thought a finger break glove was too small because I could only get my fingers so far into the glove :D

Is it possible to further explain the C&U break style? For example, what do you mean when you say the palm stays open (U Break)?

Netminder,

You are incorrect with your assessment of the Eagle Sentry trapper.

Good Catch SRI (no pun intended), you are correct.

I mistakenly identified the Sentry as having the "C" break, it's the Eagle Fusion trapper which has the "C" break, the Sentry has a "U" break.

Thanks, Netminder. Since a palm break was the only thing I had known, I thought a finger break glove was too small because I could only get my fingers so far into the glove :D

Is it possible to further explain the C&U break style? For example, what do you mean when you say the palm stays open (U Break)?

I know exactly where you are coming from. When I was younger all I wanted were Brian's hockey gloves. When I got older (aka richer) I finally bought a pair. They felt all wrong because the glove was breaking down at the base of my fingers instead of in my palm. Like yourself I simply assumed they must be made for bigger hands. I never realized (and still don't understand) why anyone would intentionally want the break there...

But in answer to your U vs C question. I don't have a good simple answer. They feel so similar (yet wrong) to me that I've never played with either style glove long enough to get a good feel for the difference. The theory is that you have more "ergonomic" control over the glove by guiding the closure with the fingers rather than the hand (with both). Personally I find any glove that I can't slap shut when making a save simply feels like it isn't broken in yet. Others like Lundqvist never even close their glove when making the save, they simply catch the puck like its going into a big basket. My initial impression would be to say that the C palm would close off the pocket more entirely but only at the finger tips while the U palm would leave an open gap. But I could be mistaken even on that. The open palm feeling I was talking about has to do with the way the break is made. With a V break there is a single slim piece of plastic laced down the break that the trapper simply closes across. With the U or C palms, there are usually many thin plastic strips stitched into the palm with a heavier felt (usually) material stiched into place behind them. The effect is, when you close the trapper with your hand you cannot compress the palm flat. The best description I have is that it is like you are grasping a pop can. So the palm actually stays open even when the glove is closed.

God I hope that helps, I don't really know how to explain it any better. SRI do you have any experience with the Eagle gloves? Could you jump in and help me out here?

Again using Eagle gloves, a quick way to identify a V break vs a U or C break glove is by the laced in break strip in the palm.

Here looking at an Infinity trapper which is a V break you can see clearly where the break strip is located and where the break occurs.

infinity.jpg

Here looking at a Fusion trapper you can see there is no break strip in the palm. The lacing goes around the palm area. Without a distinct break area the palm does not close completely but rather is left open when the glove is closed.

fusion.jpg

So the way to tell if it is a C or U break (aside from putting it on) is to see if the laces go down the break or not?

Hey, any chance of a "break" database (along with the pattern DB)? I know MSH isn't really a goalie site, but goalie patterns in the DB would be pretty cool too.

What Break would the RBK lines have? Most specifically, the X-Pulse 6.0. But all other models will be beneficial too.

im curious what kind of break an itech glove has and what type of break my old koho 590 glove had.

i loved my old koho 590 glove and im not sure what a comparable glove would be.

im curious what kind of break an itech glove has and what type of break my old koho 590 glove had.

i loved my old koho 590 glove and im not sure what a comparable glove would be.

The 590 had a 60 degree break, exactly like the P2. Basically nothing has change from the 590 to the P2 except for aesthetics. Also what type of Itech glove, wha model?

i was wondering about the new one - the rx-9 i believe?

i just assumed all of the itech gloves had the same break.

I'm thinking a 60 degree break, but I am not sure, I will ask around and get back to you. But the glove is very nice, I tried it on and it closed so nicely. When my Supreme hits the dust this would be a serious candidate to fill the position.

are you from the PA area as well?

i wish there was some store around that had a few of these so i could actually try them on instead of just hoping that i will like them.

I have an Itech Vamp 10.8 glove, and looking for an Eagle glove with Similar break characteristics. (specifically D8 in white/black/silver NON NHL Legal preferred)

quasi bump....anyone with break info on my Vamp? i think its a C, but not sure. I just DON'T want a fingertip closure like the vaughn a buddy of mine has