Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollerskater92

Durable Skates

Higher end boots will tend to be stiffer, but durability is subjective- it will depend on how often you skate, what surface, how well you maintain etc..

Mission HE9500 and HE10000 and the new Wicked Light 1's and 3's are stiff and durable, but if you skate outdoor, the thing you have to look out for are the wheels (replace them with outdoor type wheels) and the scuff guards, which may or may not wear out completely.

ive been using the wicked 3s for about 8 months now. playing on 3 teams for the whole time and the occasional tournament too. roughly 100 games .so far other then the wheels, they more or less look brand new. they took a bit to break in, as they were and still are stiff as hell and also now comfortable as hell.

i will be skating on sportcourt indoors about 2-3 times a week.

I have been using my Code 1's for 1-1/2 years now on an outdoor painted concrete surface. They do just fine out there durability wise. Granted I have been using a thin layer of epoxy resin on the inside scuff guards (just behind the toe caps) and I re-apply it as I wear through it (about once a month) and they have been just fine.

I have the nike bauer supreme accell lites....I really like em, fit like a dream and are pretty stiff.

I've been dumb and was playing outdoors with them frequently while using indoor wheels as well so when I would stop hard i'd slide and tear up the toe area.

I have the nike bauer supreme accell lites....I really like em, fit like a dream and are pretty stiff.

I've been dumb and was playing outdoors with them frequently while using indoor wheels as well so when I would stop hard i'd slide and tear up the toe area.

helps to have a little extra plastic up by the toe cap on the side of the skate where you may fall. it'll help keep the stitching in place. my Bauer Vapor 2's have pretty big chunks of plastic right behind the toe cap that have helped keep the skate in better condition. asphalts no good for any equipment!

Mattzilla: 100 games in roughly 8 months... wow. Take it you don't (have time to) pratice but only play games... ;-)

Spreedizzle: I use epoxy aswell, do you put anything on top of the epoxy (like e.g. plastic from a soda bottle) or only epoxy?

I put some tape on the area before the epoxy. I was going to do multiple layers of tape+epoxy, but got lazy and just did one layer of tape. That way, when i see that I'm getting through the tape, it's time to reapply.

I have friends who have used fiberglass mesh (as found in fiberglass repair kits) for the patches as well.

Mattzilla: 100 games in roughly 8 months... wow. Take it you don't (have time to) pratice but only play games... ;-)

well, im 25 years old and im just playing in adult leagues ( at various tiers ranging from low end [where i pile in points for fun] and mid to low-high [where im my more naturally defensive minded self] ), nothing super highly competitive ( at least not yet ) and i work 45+ hours a week managing a sporting goods store. not a whole lot of time to practice, i guess. i wish there was.

3 teams X 3 times a week

- a few games i have to miss

+ some drop ins ( PRACTICE :D )

100 sounds about right :)

Also, im not sure if it helps any evaluating the skates, but im 6'5 and about 210 ish ( it varies week to week )

I would say the code-1's or the new carbons. I have had my pair of carbons for a few months now and they are still really holding up. I play 4 or more times a week.

Spreedizzle: I use epoxy aswell, do you put anything on top of the epoxy (like e.g. plastic from a soda bottle) or only epoxy?

No tape or anything. I just mix the two parts, and put on a coating at the toe cap/boot junction....usually around 1/8" thick. And then I simply touch it up as I begin to wear through it. I used to try the tape, but found that it would peel off mid game and then you have little pieces of tape all over the rink.

I would say the code-1's or the new carbons. I have had my pair of carbons for a few months now and they are still really holding up. I play 4 or more times a week.

You are the first person that I have seen that has the Carbons and truly happy with them. Did you have the Code 1's before them? How would you compare the two if you did? I have mainly only heard of people complaining about the stiffness (similar to the newer Mission lines) and problems with breaking the carbon sole from the boot.

Yes I had a pair of Code-1’s before I got my carbons. The main differences are that the Carbon is stiffer and features a re-designed toe cap that is a little wider and a new Tongue that prevents lace bite and also acts like a pad for blocking shots if you get hit there. I did not have any problems with breaking them in it just took a little longer then when I broke my Code-1s in. I have personally not heard anything but good news about the Carbon from different people on them at state wars and my teammate likes his pair that he just received and his last skate was the E2.

Yes I had a pair of Code-1’s before I got my carbons. The main differences are that the Carbon is stiffer and features a re-designed toe cap that is a little wider and a new Tongue that prevents lace bite and also acts like a pad for blocking shots if you get hit there. I did not have any problems with breaking them in it just took a little longer then when I broke my Code-1s in. I have personally not heard anything but good news about the Carbon from different people on them at state wars and my teammate likes his pair that he just received and his last skate was the E2.

Glad to hear that they have beefed up the tongue a bit. I'm usually in my skates about 15 hours a week between games and reffing, and lace bite for a while was simply unavoidable.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I dealt with the exact same problems between playing and being a floor guard at my local rink. It is has a protector on it. It is sort of hard pad on the outside of the toungue. It’s hard to explain if you go to a hockey shop that has the skate you will notice it right away. Because of it I have not had any lace bite problems since I got the skates.

Yes I dealt with the exact same problems between playing and being a floor guard at my local rink. It is has a protector on it. It is sort of hard pad on the outside of the toungue. It’s hard to explain if you go to a hockey shop that has the skate you will notice it right away. Because of it I have not had any lace bite problems since I got the skates.

Hence my problem. Since moving from the hockey crazed state of NJ to NC....where hockey is non-existent (DESPITE a Stanley Cup) and I don't have any LHS within 2 hours of me. My Code 1's are doing great, and I love them so much that I have been pondering picking up another pair since they are having such good deals on them currently since the Carbon's have come out. I just don't know if it is worth it to me to spend the extra on the Carbon's vs the Code 1's which I know are fantastic skates.