Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

estovlo2

Question about butt ends

I know this is sort of a weird question, but are some butt ends lighter than others? Do some types of wood make lighter ones than others? I need to buy a pretty big butt end, so I want to get the lightest one possible. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I think that the wooden butt ends are pretty standard. I doubt that you will find two that are the same length with a significant difference in weight.

I don't think that Graphite butt-end exist but it'll be interesting that they start this. It would be lighter and there will be no differences(maybe a little) between a shaft cut with a plug or uncut.

There's such things as composite end plugs, whether you can buy them or not as one piece is a different story. But the Stealth will come with one.

I was going to mention that I saw them on the Stealths at the expo. Beat me to it Nigel. As for the lightest wood plug, it always seemed that the TPS plugs were lighter to me, but not by much, assuming they actually are.

Speaking of plugs, do the Easton ones bug anyone else? I really dislike how they have the cut corners, it makes taping it very very awkward. I just like butt ends that come flush with the shaft, and if they stick out further than the shaft does, I'll sand em down.

I've found every shaft I've bought that has a end plug in it is just a bit too long for me...I like it just between my nose/chen (with skates on), so I take them out and use it hollow at the end.

I usually cut butt ends when I have them in the shaft so they only stick out about 3/8 of an inch past the end. I find it helps to balance my sticks out a little better and cuts down on vibrations a bit.

Also, I find TPS butt ends lighter as well. I think they are alder or basswood instead of ash like most butt ends.

Yea, the plugs on the TPS's are def. lighter. But when your dealing with something like a plug, I doubt that a few grams will make much difference. I hate how the Easton plugs are thicker than the shaft and then they have those weird corners... I always have to shave them down, it's not a big deal but when you have a lotta sticks it can be a hassle.