Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

PC recording (studio) help

If you have any experience doing recording via a PC, please drop me a PM. I have a couple offers on the table to do some voice-over work to pick up some spare cash and need to set up a usable system here at the house as quickly and cheaply as possible. Mostly need some advice on inexpensive software and interface units. I'm used to old-school studio setups, just not current on the home environment. Appreciate any help you can provide.

If it's just vocal stuff you're doing, it shouldn't cost much to get started. I have one of these M-Audio Mobile Pre's, comes with Ableton Live so you don't have to buy extra software. 2 XLR inputs on the back. Pick up a decent mic and you're ready to roll, assuming you have a decent soundcard/PCI interface. You could probably get this goin for about $300-$400.

If you wanted to kick it up a notch, have a look at the Presonus FP(10) (formerly known as the Firepod). 8 mic/line inputs, 2 instrument, 8 outputs. Comes with Cubase as well, so once again, no extra software purchases necessary. A friend of mine, who owns a recording studio, has been using these for a couple years and has nothing but good things to say. You could probably find one of these for about $600.

I don't really know what your exact goals are, but those are 2 options.

Depending on how big a room you are setting up in, you might want to hang some rugs/heavy sheets on the walls to deaden the sound.

You might find it is too echoey if you don't.

I know a guy who had a little track on the ceiling and he could pull a curtain around him (kinda like in an emergency room) to close in his miced area.

Depending on how big a room you are setting up in, you might want to hang some rugs/heavy sheets on the walls to deaden the sound.

You might find it is too echoey if you don't.

I know a guy who had a little track on the ceiling and he could pull a curtain around him (kinda like in an emergency room) to close in his miced area.

I'm actually planning somethign like that for my home office this weekend anyway.

Protools LE with Mbox Mini, grab a Rode NT1000 (cheap, good vocal condenser mic)

mic stand pop filter, some headphones, couple XLR cables and your good to go.

I've been in recording for the last 15 years so PM or IM if you need help.

AOL - trajik78

If it's just vocal stuff you're doing, it shouldn't cost much to get started. I have one of these M-Audio Mobile Pre's, comes with Ableton Live so you don't have to buy extra software. 2 XLR inputs on the back. Pick up a decent mic and you're ready to roll, assuming you have a decent soundcard/PCI interface. You could probably get this goin for about $300-$400.

If you wanted to kick it up a notch, have a look at the Presonus FP(10) (formerly known as the Firepod). 8 mic/line inputs, 2 instrument, 8 outputs. Comes with Cubase as well, so once again, no extra software purchases necessary. A friend of mine, who owns a recording studio, has been using these for a couple years and has nothing but good things to say. You could probably find one of these for about $600.

I don't really know what your exact goals are, but those are 2 options.

if only doing voice over, he won't need to kick it up a notch with 8 channels. if he'd like to keep the option of recording drums with more than just overhead mics, than that would be good. when i had an 8 channel interface, i was using an RME multiface as it had pretty decent converters for the price.

digidesign m-box comes with pro-tools. the preamps and converters aren't great, but should do nicely for his needs. it's a more limited version of industry standard software. runs about $400 (including software) i believe.

there's actually cheaper options if you don't care about running pro-tools...something like an m-audio audio buddy (2 channel mic pre ~ $80) and m-audio audiophile 2496 (converters / sound card ~ $100). then get n-track for $64. it's really easy to use software.

as far as mics, try renting a bunch to settle on which one sounds best for your voice. i wouldn't spend too much on a mic - a renowned large diaphragm condenser mic will be ridiculously expensive and unnecessary, plus your setup will only be as good as the weakest link, whether that's mic, cable, preamp, compressor, eq, converters, etc. i'd imagine for boomy sounding radio voice, you'd want something like an electrovoice RE-20. typically used for kick drum and bass, but i know howard stern uses one. but then again, some people's vox sound better with $80 SM57's (typically used on guitar cab and snare). it's all about trial and error.

you may want to get a stedman pop filter (~$20 i think) and decent shock mount. room sound is important too, but i'd think you'd be fine with minimal auralex foam or carpeting / packing blankets. or you can spend tens of thousands of dollars having a unique room constructed, and putting huge bass traps and diffusers up, but that may be overkill (hah)

my studio just closed down, but if you've got any more specific questions PM me and i'd be glad to help if i can. i'm not as 'up to date' with gear as i was a year or two ago though.

I was just looking for some input on software and interfaces that cost as little as possible. I've done studio work, on both sides of the glass, I was just looking for something to do some podcast recordings.

Dixor:

I love the RE20, that was the main mic in our broadcast studio and I used to have one for my guitar amp when I was playing out on a regular basis. They don't sound "boomy", more like silky smooth.