Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScottMan

Boss Skates - Impressions?

I've read through the Mission '08 thread and a few people had some things to say, but why are there so few people talking about the new Boss skate? Is it the price, or are people scared away by the Wicked 1 ankle issue, or lack of availability? Just wondering if anyone had anything to say about them after actually trying them for longer than 30 mins.

I got mine a few days ago and haven't even been able to skate on them because I've been away from home. Someone tell me what to expect!

If you read through the previous threads, you know that I personally think they are the greatest thing since inline took over from quads. They will be a little stiff at first. I baked mine, but I think I could have worked through the break in without it. If you are worried, bake them and then go skate. Maybe I have uber-tough skark skin covered ankles and feet, but I just have had no problems. They are an amazing blend of stiff/support/light/comfort.

most likely you would just try to skate in them first without the baking. if they work, thats great!, if not, then just get them baked.

Justin did say that it did address every problem the wickeds had

well i added a quick repsonse in the other mission hockey thread because i just purchased the boss skates the other day. I need to skate with them a few more time before i make any final decisions. I did have them baked and skated only once. SO i will give more reviews later on.

I havent gotten hit with a shot yet but so far seems like its gonna be perfectly fine protection wise. actually had my left skate punched in one spot today so we'll see how that helps may have to have it punched a little further on that 1 spot. Also have a little discomfort on the outside part of my ankle but i think thats just break in normal type stuff.

Alright, well I actually skated on mine today. I didn't play in them, just open skate but it was for about 2 hours. They hurt like crazy on the ankles, but that almost stopped hurting by the end of the session. My inside arch hurt on one foot but I figured I tied that skate a bit too tight, I took them off and let my feet rest for about 10 minutes and the arches didn't hurt again. I literally could not skate on my Wicked Lights because they hurt my arches so badly and I was worried about the Boss, but they seem fine. I'm actually shocked at how fast the Boss seem to be breaking in. My heel locked fine at first, then over 2 hours they wouldn't lock anymore which I attribute to them loosening up so much. I'll skate in them again Wednesday and post again.

I'm still getting used to the flatter pitch of the Boss compared to my old Quest 1 so I'll be able to tell more about how the skates act after I learn how to skate again. I did notice they felt MUCH faster than my old skates, but a lot of that could've been the new Hypers which were ridiculously grippy and the Mission Titanium bearings.

Flyweight, have you noticed your heels locking less and needing to tighten them more? How are the ankles breaking in for you?

Oh, did you strip any axles? I stripped like 3. Uggh. They stripped SO easily.

Yeah, no joke. It was ridiculous. I've stripped like 2 axles in my entire life. My Red Stars have never stripped, nor have the Nikes, nor have any of the Sure-Grips, or Labedas...blah blah blah. I work on cars constantly so it's not like this is my first time with tools. I was blown away by how soft the axles were.

The ONLY thing I think it might've been is when I first looked at one skate I said "these already look stripped". One skate went off without a hitch but the other had already been rounded a bit I assume because it wasn't like they stripped in a difficult way. I barely turned them and they just rounded immediately. I'm going to see if I can fix them, order new axles or just cut flathead slots in them and go from there. :shrug:

I havent stripped axles yet lol. I'm very cautious toward that due to old experiences. But looking at my left skate it looks as if the axles were tampered with maybe by the factory and slightly rounded like yours as well, my right skate looks fine so i just have to be very careful. Yes i did feel my heel andback of my ankle locking less but thats just normal break in. I untied kicked my heel back more and retied they felt nice. I still have some pain on the outside of my ankles but i'm sure that will go its only been 1 skating session. I still may have to get that spot punched some more but i'm gonna see how it feels after a few more skates.

I should be getting mine in a week or so. My old Wicked Lights are finally starting to break down, so I figured it was time to change it up.

You stripped 3 axles on your first skate? damm.

Just to update this thread on what I did. I took all the axles out, held them with vice-grips, and Dremeled a nice big flat-head slot in them and now use a screwdriver. You guys think I'm joking, but for some reason that one skate stripped like the axles were made of butter. So now I won't have to worry about them.

The skates are feeling pretty good though. I still need to bake them but the ankles are hurting half as badly each time I skate. I'm still trying to get used to being on my heels more as compared to my old Quest 1s, but I'm getting there.

I should be getting mine in a week or so. My old Wicked Lights are finally starting to break down, so I figured it was time to change it up.

Yep, I'm about to put my old Wicked Lights up for sale once I get some pics. I'm interested to see how you like the Boss compared to the Wicked Lights. I can't wear the WLs for more then 10 minutes without excruciating arch pain but have no problems with the Boss. :shrug:

I need to get some red wheels on these puppies. Boy do I hate green! Haha.

You stripped 3 axles on your first skate? damm.

Just to update this thread on what I did. I took all the axles out, held them with vice-grips, and Dremeled a nice big flat-head slot in them and now use a screwdriver. You guys think I'm joking, but for some reason that one skate stripped like the axles were made of butter. So now I won't have to worry about them.

The skates are feeling pretty good though. I still need to bake them but the ankles are hurting half as badly each time I skate. I'm still trying to get used to being on my heels more as compared to my old Quest 1s, but I'm getting there.

Yep, I'm about to put my old Wicked Lights up for sale once I get some pics. I'm interested to see how you like the Boss compared to the Wicked Lights. I can't wear the WLs for more then 10 minutes without excruciating arch pain but have no problems with the Boss. :shrug:

I need to get some red wheels on these puppies. Boy do I hate green! Haha.

my axles stripped right away also. about half of them were mis-shaped right out of the box.

Kinda stupid, huh? Haha. It made me feel like it was my first time holding an allen wrench. So frustrating!

Anyway, here's a picture of what I did after I removed the stripped axles with a small screw extractor I got from Sears.

BossSlotsSmall.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell phone pic quality, but it should give you an idea. I just made deep slots with the Dremel cutting wheel and they come out perfectly with a healthy sized screwdriver. I didn't feel like taking a chance on another set of axles so I just bypassed the allen head altogether. :shrug:

Yep. So silly. Just don't put them back in there without cutting slots in them. New axles will just do the same thing unless they're made out of something else. I'm not worried about it, but it would do Mission well to know about this so they could avoid some complaints over something small.

The factory puts these on with a drill, and sometimes the guy has the torque set to high. A new set of hardware won't strip if they are put on by hand.

Call customer service and they will replace them. In the 9 years I have skated them, I have only stripped them was with a drill.

^Yes, I'm pretty sure it would, you'd just need to make sure the slot was wide enough for a flat-head screwdriver to fit. That's the only issue with using a hack-saw that I could see. :shrug: