Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PiKappaPhi

Norris Trophy

Is it possible for Goalie's to win the Norris Trophy? I was looking at the ESPN picks and they have Andrew Raycroft winning the Norris Trophy. I guess he is a defensive player, but I thought thats what the Veniza was for?

Guest phillyfan

I would consider goaltenders to be apart of the defensive aspect, but I never heard of any other goalies winning the Norris, and there were plenty of goalies capable of winning it if that was the case.

Only defensemen are eligible for the Norris trophy. Raycroft is a candidate for the Calder or Vezina trophies.

Ya! The defense need a trophy, they should add in a trophy for the best defensive defenseman as well. Like was stated earlier, goalies are ineligible for the Norris. I wonder if you can play both forward and Defense and win the Norris though, is their a certain number of games you must play at the position? Like somebody like Belak or Kapanen who can play both, their numbers well at least in Kapanens case should be fairly high.

well since we're on the subject, who do you think will win the norris this year? schnieder and blake have been two frontrunners so far.

I'd like to see McCabe or Pronger win. I'm hearing alot of Scott Niedermyer votes, but I just don't think he can play as big of a role as the two I mentioned, and the two you did.

I agree that Niedermyer has been written off for awhile and he may deserve something for his efforts, but I don't believe he is the best defenseman. It seems like a "well nobody else stepped up asa huge front runner, so you've been good for a while" award if he gets it. which I think is wrong. I would like to see McCabe win because well i'm a Leafs fan, but I also get to see all of the stuff he does. He fights, hits, scores, can break out and play in any situation. Similar to Blake, and Pronger, but I wouldn't put Niedermyer in that category, maybe it's because i dont see him as much though.

The only problem with that is I wouldn't want to reward someone who only plays half the game. Hockey is played at both ends of the ice by all five skaters. I wouldn't to see someone win the award just because they do a good job of leveling guys in the crease.