Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

RBK 7k

reviewer: 6'2", 190lb

product: original RBK 7K (white/blue), SR reg flex (40kp/85)

Finish quality: This one's made in Canada. The graphics look good but out of the 3 I ordered I noticed some imperfections in the sidewall thickness at the blade insertion point. This could be a source of breakage down the line (my guess is splitting like the crappy Easton E-flex or Octane shafts) but no issues so far.

Shaft/grip: Fairly boxy shape with a bit of concavity on the wider sides. It reminds me of the XN10 but not as extreme. It comes with a nice, subtle grip finish. It's not that tacky (less so than the CCM V130/10.0 - same as the sickick)but works well with the boxy shape.

Flex: Feels like any other 85 flex stick

Weight: Very light shaft. It's not quite as light as the XN10 (sub-300g for a full-length tapered shaft) but it has to be within 10-15g. Pair it up with a good light blade (Easton SynII in my case) and it'll give any premium OPS a run for its money. Not sure about wood blades, though.

Stickhandling/pass receiving: Nothing to write home about, but the light weight makes everything a bit easier. As I said before the grip is subtle enough not to affect stickhandling too much. Dampening is good on hard passes. 9/10

Shooting: Good pop on all shots and doesn't twist too much. I alternate between this and a stiff prostock V130 when i shoot at goalie camps. Because of the softer flex I don't fool the goalie as much on hard slapshots (i.e. can't shoot it right though him), but I can put the puck on a dime with a quick release. It's more of a snap/wrist shot forward's shaft, IMO. 9/10

Durability: Due to the weight and the inconsistancies, it's a question mark. Someone stepped on the shaft in the kickpoint and left 2 pretty big gashes, but so far so good. Either way it's not a shaft I'd recommend for grittier players. I'm not a stick-breaker so it's hard to say right now. (pending)

Intangibles: I got mine for $35 a pop. If you can get it for remotely that cheap then clean the place out (if you dont like it then sell the extras to me).

Conclusion: A poor man's XN10. No more no less

(9/10 - not an average)